2024-25 ISU FB Early Predictions and Offseason Discussion

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Thought I'd get a new thread rolling now that people are starting to digest who's coming and going, what the schedule looks like, etc. A lot of teams return key pieces on offense with very little turnover in skill positions from this past season. Will that be enough to keep relatively status-quo? What team will surprise?

The first "Too Early" Big 12 Power Rankings I've seen...

1. Arizona
  2. Oklahoma State
  3. Utah
  4. Kansas
  5. West Virginia
  6. Kansas State
  7. Iowa State
  8. TCU
  9. Texas Tech
  10. UCF
  11. Colorado
  12. BYU
  13. Baylor
  14. Arizona State
  15. Houston
  16. Cincinnati

Reactions: Arkansas Cyclone

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think 1-4 are probably pretty solid bets right now (lots can change with Portal, etc) and then I think 6-8 could be pretty interchangeable. 9-16 is a crapshoot

Reactions: cyfan21

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
WV too high
Yes. With unbalanced schedules it matters a lot.

As a comparison to ISU, both were 6-3 in the league. The records of the teams that each MISSED on their league schedule were:
WVU: 27-9
ISU: 16-20

WVUs unbalanced schedule was unbelievably favorable. ISUs was unfavorable.

I'd flip WVU to 7 and move KSU and ISU up to 5-6.

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Bowman potentially getting a 7th year of eligibility is insane. If he does not get his waiver, I'm not sold on OSU as a top 3 team.

AZ and Utah look like safe bets to be near the top. ISU has potential to be top 4, as do KSU and KU. I would not sleep on TCU or TTU either.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and isucy86

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Don't unbalanced schedules make this a total crapshoot? There might be one or two schools that COULD win every game. But for most, the number of winnable games will depend every year on the assigned opponents. I think our 2024 schedule is fairly favorable, and we should have a better team, so I would expect a top 6 finish.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Can someone with more time calculate the conference record of the 16 teams next year while taking out 2023 games played against UT, OU, Oregon, and Washington.

This will tell me two things.
  1. Who can win against their peers versus the more talented programs
  2. Who ducked the top dogs in 2023
Next you can look at who in 2024 doesn't have to play or plays the least amount of conference games against Arizona, Utah, K-State, and Oklahoma St.

These mega conference are now built to favor those with the least challenging schedule (Look at the B1G West for example)

Reactions: aauummm

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I do feel like Arizona is on the rise, but switching into a different conference with different playstyles and team compositions can be tough (see Houston, BYU, Cincinnati, UCF), so while I think they have a chance at being at or near the top, it wouldn't surprise me to see them slide to the middle. It's not like they have been a perennial power either, so their rise is really recent.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I do feel like Arizona is on the rise, but switching into a different conference with different playstyles and team compositions can be tough (see Houston, BYU, Cincinnati, UCF), so while I think they have a chance at being at or near the top, it wouldn't surprise me to see them slide to the middle. It's not like they have been a perennial power either, so their rise is really recent.
I don't disagree, but as of right now I think they have the most balanced team and don't lose any key pieces (not certain). Of course, all of this is a crapshoot and doesn't factor in a lot of movement from the Portal still to come. It should be a pretty competitive year for the top 1/3 of the league - and maybe even a bit deeper.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Those picks seem perfectly reasonable to me. I’m not sold on ISU or WVU until I see proof against the competition. WVU played a light weight schedule this past year and every ISU weakness was exposed in the bowl game.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
1. It will take a bit of getting used to a 16 team league.
2. It will take a while to get used to not having OuT. That didn't take long! Over them. Ready for the next step.
3. Not a good time for Baylor and Cincinnati to be floundering. I'm OK with that.
4. Arizona and KU are peaking at just the right time. We will see.
5. I'm interested to see if Utah steps up to become one of the top teams, over the next 3-4 years.
6. Get ready for another Prime time, Big 12 edition. It will be good for the conference though.
7. Lucky 7? Iowa State has a chance to make a mark.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Can someone with more time calculate the conference record of the 16 teams next year while taking out 2023 games played against UT, OU, Oregon, and Washington.

This will tell me two things.
  1. Who can win against their peers versus the more talented programs
  2. Who ducked the top dogs in 2023
Next you can look at who in 2024 doesn't have to play or plays the least amount of conference games against Arizona, Utah, K-State, and Oklahoma St.

These mega conference are now built to favor those with the least challenging schedule (Look at the B1G West for example)
Arizona : 10-2 (Loss to Washington)
ASU : 3-7 (Losses to Oregon & Washington)
Baylor : 3-8 (Loss to Texas)
BYU : 5-5 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Cincy : 3-8 (Loss to Oklahoma)
Colorado : 4-7 (Loss to Oregon)
Houston : 4-7 (Loss to Texas)
Iowa State : 7-4 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Kansas : 8-3 (Win vs. Oklahoma & Loss to Texas)
Kansas State : 9-3 (Loss to Texas)
Oklahoma State : 9-3 (Win vs. Oklahoma & Loss to Texas)
TCU : 5-5 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Texas Tech : 7-5 (Loss to Texas)
UCF : 6-6 (Loss to Oklahoma)
Utah : 8-3 (Losses to Oregon & Washington)
West Virginia : 9-3 (Loss to Oklahoma)

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Thought I'd get a new thread rolling now that people are starting to digest who's coming and going, what the schedule looks like, etc. A lot of teams return key pieces on offense with very little turnover in skill positions from this past season. Will that be enough to keep relatively status-quo? What team will surprise?

The first "Too Early" Big 12 Power Rankings I've seen...

1. Arizona
  2. Oklahoma State
  3. Utah
  4. Kansas
  5. West Virginia
  6. Kansas State
  7. Iowa State
  8. TCU
  9. Texas Tech
  10. UCF
  11. Colorado
  12. BYU
  13. Baylor
  14. Arizona State
  15. Houston
  16. Cincinnati
I have a feeling that TCU and Tech will both jump a couple of spots on this list. Will they is debatable.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Arizona : 10-2 (Loss to Washington)
ASU : 3-7 (Losses to Oregon & Washington)
Baylor : 3-8 (Loss to Texas)
BYU : 5-5 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Cincy : 3-8 (Loss to Oklahoma)
Colorado : 4-7 (Loss to Oregon)
Houston : 4-7 (Loss to Texas)
Iowa State : 7-4 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Kansas : 8-3 (Win vs. Oklahoma & Loss to Texas)
Kansas State : 9-3 (Loss to Texas)
Oklahoma State : 9-3 (Win vs. Oklahoma & Loss to Texas)
TCU : 5-5 (Losses to Oklahoma & Texas)
Texas Tech : 7-5 (Loss to Texas)
UCF : 6-6 (Loss to Oklahoma)
Utah : 8-3 (Losses to Oregon & Washington)
West Virginia : 9-3 (Loss to Oklahoma)
Thanks, so...

Arizona : 10-1
ASU : 3-5
Baylor : 3-7
BYU : 5-3
Cincy : 3-7
Colorado : 4-6
Houston : 4-6
Iowa State : 7-2
Kansas : 7-2
Kansas State : 9-2
Oklahoma State : 8-2
TCU : 5-3
Texas Tech : 7-4
UCF : 6-5
Utah : 8-1
West Virginia : 9-2

Tier 1 is AZ, KSU, and Utah

Tier 2 is ISU, KU, OSU, and WV

Tier 3 is BYU, TCU, Tech, and UCF

Tier 4 is ASU, Baylor, Cincy, Colorado, Houston

ISU plays:

2 from tier 1 (Home and Away),
2 from tier 2 (Both Away)
2 from tier 3 (Both home)
3 from tier 4 (2 home and 1 away)

I don't love that 1/3 of our conference games and 3/4 road games are against competition who placed in the "top 1/2" of this proxy Big 12 (@WVU, @utah, @KU).. Home slate looks very winnable for all games (KSU by far the hardest) as 4/5 of our home games are against teams that were "bottom 1/2" teams.

Thankful to avoid OSU and AZ but would be nice to play ASU and CU next season. Welcome to the new Big 12

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: Aclone and aauummm

synapticwave

Mar 9, 2007
Austin, TX
www.longshotgames.com
Thanks, so...

Arizona : 10-1
ASU : 3-5
Baylor : 3-7
BYU : 5-3
Cincy : 3-7
Colorado : 4-6
Houston : 4-6
Iowa State : 7-2
Kansas : 7-2
Kansas State : 9-2
Oklahoma State : 8-2
TCU : 5-3
Texas Tech : 7-4
UCF : 6-5
Utah : 8-1
West Virginia : 9-2

Tier 1 is AZ, KSU, and Utah

Tier 2 is ISU, KU, OSU, and WV

Tier 3 is BYU, TCU, Tech, and UCF

Tier 4 is ASU, Baylor, Cincy, Colorado, Houston

ISU plays:

2 from tier 1 (Home and Away),
2 from tier 2 (Both Away)
2 from tier 3 (Both home)
3 from tier 4 (2 home and 1 away)

I don't love that 1/3 of our conference games and 3/4 road games are against competition who placed in the "top 1/2" of this proxy Big 12 (@WVU, @utah, @KU).. Home slate looks very winnable for all games (KSU by far the hardest) as 4/5 of our home games are against teams that were "bottom 1/2" teams.

Thankful to avoid OSU and AZ but would be nice to play ASU and CU next season. Welcome to the new Big 12
Looks like OP had removed the games from the team's overall records already. ISU was 7-6 but he had us as 7-4 for example (2 losses already removed from from OuT).

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I wouldn't put Arizona and their record in the 2023 Pac12 on par with Houston, UC and UCF results in 2022 AAC and then their fall in Big12. The Pac12 was a very solid conference in 2023 with UW, UO, USC, OSU, etc. Arizona's coach has had them on an upward trajectory for the last 3 years.

Seems like Arizona and Kansas have the least question marks going into 2024 based on 2023 and returning top tier QB's.

Utah would seemed to be in a good spot with Rising back. But he's had injury issues and they seem to have more roster question marks. OSU's the reverse, picking them 2nd seems entirely based on Bowman getting a 7th year. Like a lot of people, I am skeptical about WVU.

I like where ISU sits going into 2024 with Becht, Sama, Noel, Higgins and Brahmer. ISU's ceiling is going to rest on OL, DL & LB position groups. And the staff figuring ways to make our defense more disruptive for opposing QB's.

Help Support Us

Become a patron