***2024 Big 12 Wrestling Championships (March 9-10)***

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
He didn’t beat Nasir Bailey, who’s only good win on the year is Frost.

I think Frost’s ranking is a little suspect, but more so because 133 as a whole is suspect outside of the top few. Frost has done a great job this year, and I’m excited to see what he’ll do this post season. But I have no idea if he goes 1-2 at NCAA or places

That said, I don’t see Leake being a problem for him.
Yes that match was an outlier. It would have been interesting to see if Bailey had the tank to go the distance, but kudos to him. If they meet again who knows what happens, but I would bet it doesn't end in the fashion the first match did.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
I guess I didn't know SDSU was that good this year without a dual to go off of. Did our guys wrestle any of theirs at tourneys at all?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
He didn’t beat Nasir Bailey, who’s only good win on the year is Frost.

I think Frost’s ranking is a little suspect, but more so because 133 as a whole is suspect outside of the top few. Frost has done a great job this year, and I’m excited to see what he’ll do this post season. But I have no idea if he goes 1-2 at NCAA or places

That said, I don’t see Leake being a problem for him.

Bailey and Frost have both beat #11 Zeth Romney, who has some really good wins this year also (Latona, Colaiocco, Serrano, Van Dee).

However, I don't disagree with the overall sentiment that the 133 rankings are tricky, especially for Frost. It's not a very tough weight in the Big 12, and we didn't run into Northern Colorado or SDSU this year.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I have been pro Kysen but the Hendriksen first round is worrisome because of his low stature and Kysens ability to get to the legs and finish. He needed an OT takedown to beat him earlier this year. I think Poulins willingness to open up lends well to Kysen being able to pull off the upset.

CORoadrunner

Aug 16, 2012
If we are scoring directly to seed, I believe that we lose an advancement point on Feldcamp. If he goes down in the quarters, there is no first round advancement. Missouri loses one that way too, but not OSU. That said, I think Feldcamp handles Hawks. Please correct me if I am missing something or calculating it wrong.

Reactions: ISU_Cyclones

cywr89

May 14, 2009
You don’t lose advancement points. You just don’t have the ability to get bonus points which generally there a lot of pins/TFs in the first round.

ISU_Cyclones

May 9, 2018
You don’t lose advancement points. You just don’t have the ability to get bonus points which generally there a lot of pins/TFs in the first round.
According to what was posted to start this thread you have to win the next round after your bye to get advancement points, so I think he's right. Would be the case for any 5-8 seed with a bye.

***TEAM SCORING***

Placement:
16-12-10-9-7-6-4-3
Bonus: 2 (fall, forfeit, MFF, DQ, default), 1.5 (tech fall), 1 (major decision)
Advancement: 1 (championship), 0.5 (consolation)
Bye points: Advancement, only earned with win in following round

cywr89

May 14, 2009
According to what was posted to start this thread you have to win the next round after your bye to get advancement points, so I think he's right. Would be the case for any 5-8 seed with a bye.

***TEAM SCORING***

Placement:
16-12-10-9-7-6-4-3
Bonus: 2 (fall, forfeit, MFF, DQ, default), 1.5 (tech fall), 1 (major decision)
Advancement: 1 (championship), 0.5 (consolation)
Bye points: Advancement, only earned with win in following round
I stand corrected. I thought they got rid of it after the latest expansion.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have been pro Kysen but the Hendriksen first round is worrisome because of his low stature and Kysens ability to get to the legs and finish. He needed an OT takedown to beat him earlier this year. I think Poulins willingness to open up lends well to Kysen being able to pull off the upset.
If Kysen can finish shots, with 25 the way it is, the sky's the limit there.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
In an IaWrestle article by Jeff Murphy, I thought this is very interesting and what the biggest difference is with this team vs past teams

Finally, the Cyclones must score bonus points in as many matches as possible. This is especially true in the early rounds and consolation rounds where seeded wrestlers are more likely to face unseeded wrestlers. Iowa State has recorded 96 bonus point wins in 201 matches this season. That is 48% of their matches.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
In an IaWrestle article by Jeff Murphy, I thought this is very interesting and what the biggest difference is with this team vs past teams

Finally, the Cyclones must score bonus points in as many matches as possible. This is especially true in the early rounds and consolation rounds where seeded wrestlers are more likely to face unseeded wrestlers. Iowa State has recorded 96 bonus point wins in 201 matches this season. That is 48% of their matches.
That's really high. I am not sure how to do it, but I wonder what the overall bonus rate is this season compared to last for all d1 matches. I know this team is better than recent teams, but the 3 point takedown and (older rule change) 4 point near fall really contribute. I hope we keep seeing bonus this weekend.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
That's really high. I am not sure how to do it, but I wonder what the overall bonus rate is this season compared to last for all d1 matches. I know this team is better than recent teams, but the 3 point takedown and (older rule change) 4 point near fall really contribute. I hope we keep seeing bonus this weekend.
Don’t disagree with the new rules helping with majors & techs, but it seems like the Clones have had more pins during the dual season than recent years. I have no facts to back this up, just my recollection.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
To me, I also give the coaching staff a lot of props. They don’t coach our guys to pussyfoot around with a lead like a lot of coaches do, as we know all too well. You can see it in 3rd periods: if our guys are up 5 with a minute left, you better get your ass moving and get one more td and ride him out.

iastatefan1

Jan 24, 2016
To me, I also give the coaching staff a lot of props. They don’t coach our guys to pussyfoot around with a lead like a lot of coaches do, as we know all too well. You can see it in 3rd periods: if our guys are up 5 with a minute left, you better get your ass moving and get one more td and ride him out.
Agree, we wrestle an awesome aggressive, entertaining style and this year's team is great. I was more just wondering what the trend was like across the sport, but too lazy/don't know how to look at it myself. Bonus will be the difference and would love to bring home the team trophy.

Reactions: JM4CY

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
Can we OVERperform this post season for once? I know a lot of it is probably the perspective of us being a good dual team and then not living up to that in tourneys, but it "feels" like we always underperform in recent years. I know it's going to be hard to do when we're already tied for first per the seeding, but lets just lay it on everyone and smoke OSU and Mizzou! I am so excited for Saturday to get here and for Big XIIs to start!

Reactions: 4theheckofit

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Can we OVERperform this post season for once? I know a lot of it is probably the perspective of us being a good dual team and then not living up to that in tourneys, but it "feels" like we always underperform in recent years. I know it's going to be hard to do when we're already tied for first per the seeding, but lets just lay it on everyone and smoke OSU and Mizzou! I am so excited for Saturday to get here and for Big XIIs to start!
“Feels like” is a lot different than what actually happened.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Help Support Us

Become a patron