Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
View attachment 129072
View attachment 129073
Like others have said, cake was great. Security tried to get people to not stand in the no standing area, so everyone behind could see, but they lost that battle after a couple of songs. I really like how Cake does their shows. Plays 9 good songs, than a short intermission, does the tree thing, and then finishes it off with 8 or so great well known songs.
I was hoping they would play Wheels. They played it at their previous show in Cedar Rapids, but we got Italian Leather Sofa instead, so that was a pretty good trade.

CycloneEggie

Oct 28, 2011
Cake show was great. I disagree about waterworks. Security was a mess parking is always a mess. I really don’t think it’s a great set up.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Came show was great. I disagree about waterworks. Security was a mess parking is always a mess. I really don’t think it’s a great set up.
The parking did suck. No doubt about that.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I was hoping they would play Wheels. They played it at their previous show in Cedar Rapids, but we got Italian Leather Sofa instead, so that was a pretty good trade.
We also got Shadow Stabbing and It’s Coming Down instead of Daria and Is This Love which was fine with me. It was perfect weather and a great show.

After the Willie show we learned to never park on the west side of the amphitheater, it’s a total ******** over there. We got there early(5:30ish) and parked in a nice shady spot next to the Des Moines Biergarten. Hung out in the Biergarten and had a beer until gates opened at 7. After the show we stood around talking with friends for maybe twenty minutes then hopped in the car and were out of the parking lot in 5 minutes. Sooooo much better.

IMG_7365.jpeg

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
Tickets bought for:
Del Water Gap - Wooly's - 7/5
Brantley Gilbert - Water Works Park - 7/11
Minnesota Yacht Club Festival Day 1 - St Paul - 7/19
Beach Bunny/The Greeting Committee - Midland Theater KC - 8/17
Briston Maroney - Val Air - 10/12

Anybody else seeing any of these?

Reactions: Angie

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
These guys have been on my bucket list for almost 20 years.
442492693_983695563104070_4560550768603686969_n.jpg

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
I thought Cake put on a really great concert.

Waterworks as a venue sucks and it sucks hard.
  1. Parking was abysmal. I paid and parked in a Keck parking lot...which was overfilled when they took my money.
  2. There was one path that everyone walked on to get to the one single entrance, even then security seemed to be overwhelmed with a pretty minor crowd.
  3. Cashless payment...I like this. Cash only beer and 1 ATM. WTF is this?
  4. I had a GA ticket but was pretty much able to wander where ever I wanted because there's no way to tell who sits where once you're in that area.
  5. Why the hell would I ever pay for another concert at Waterworks when I can ride my bike, party with everyone sitting directly outside of the venue, and watch from an elevated levy allowing me a full view with as much room as I want?
In my opinion, the city saw a spot for an amphitheater and figured they could hire out the rest of it. I'm glad they're bringing in some solid artists, but I'll opt for the free route next time.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
At the Disturbed concert. Sitting in the handicap mezzanine instead of down low thinking it would be easier in and out - a dead middle zone of one row between the main lower level and whole upper deck. They have the curtains down from the ceiling to right in front of us because the upper deck is closed. That means ALL of the AC is blasting right down on us before going out into the arena. Shivering it’s so ******* .

I might be spooning the dude next to me by curtain drop. He just sent his wife down to get them both two layers of sweatshirts from the merch booth.

1715729748069.gif

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
So there were 4 concerts in the metro last night - what'd everybody think that went to one?

Val Air - Violent Femmes
Waukee - Sleep Token
Wells - Disturbed
Woolys - Hawthorne Heights

Disturbed Review:

Plush - Average as always. The music is good but the lead's vocals are just a bit outside my liking. Great to have an all female hard rock band and they have a long future, but I wish the lead wasn't so "piercing" and/or varied more like Spiritbox and others.

Falling In Reverse - Didn't show, as expected. Huge disappointment as they are incredible (even with a scum of a person lead singer). Knew long ago they wouldn't be part of the lineup but I usually never miss a chance to see them.

Disturbed - Great as always. Great energy, good pyro and visuals, crowd engagement, etc. Vocals weren't tuned perfectly (maybe 5% off from perfect) but the range and dynamic nature of their music works so well in arenas. Considering it was a makeup date that conflicted with a busy month for people, competed with Sleep Token that was already set for the date, and it didn't include a big-time opener, the crowd was still great - probably 90+% capacity.

Last edited:

kmcbrid

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
www.municipalgame.com
So there were 4 concerts in the metro last night - what'd everybody think that went to one?

Val Air - Violent Femmes
Waukee - Sleep Token
Wells - Disturbed

Disturbed Review:

Plush - Average as always. The music is good but the lead's vocals are just a bit outside my liking. Great to have an all female hard rock band and they have a long future, but I wish the lead wasn't so "piercing" and/or varied more like Spiritbox and others.

Falling In Reverse - Didn't show, as expected. Huge disappointment as they are incredible (even with a scum of a person lead singer). Knew long ago they wouldn't be part of the lineup but I usually never miss a chance to see them.

Disturbed - Great as always. Great energy, good pyro and visuals, crowd engagement, etc. Vocals weren't tuned perfectly (maybe 5% off from perfect) but the range and dynamic nature of their music works so well in arenas. Considering it was a makeup date that conflicted with a busy month for people, competed with Sleep Token that was already set for the date, and it didn't include a big-time opener, the crowd was still great - probably 90+% capacity.

Agree with the assessment of the Disturbed show. Good show, but not great. It is at least the 4th, 5th? time I've seen Disturbed and they don't disappoint.

Probably would have saw Sleep Token, if not for the reschedule conflict. Not a huge fan by any means, but they have a niche style that intrigues me.

• Agree
Reactions: 0u812

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Agree with the assessment of the Disturbed show. Good show, but not great. It is at least the 4th, 5th? time I've seen Disturbed and they don't disappoint.

Probably would have saw Sleep Token, if not for the reschedule conflict. Not a huge fan by any means, but they have a niche style that intrigues me.
Yeah, they've been better but were still strong. They just got back from Australia and Rockville so wasn't expecting as good as usual.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
This was a tremendous moment (I didn't get a chance to record so this is from somebody else). I see this sort of thing - either about bullying, anxiety, depression, etc - at probably 75% of Hard Rock shows. The genre is rooted in anger, despair, and deep down feelings so there are incredible people and songs that us mental health issue people can relate to so much. Big part of why I love Hard Rock.

Last edited:

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Went to The Decemberists last nite at The Majestic in Dallas. Great show. They have a new album coming out in June so some new songs but some older stuff as well. Second time we've seen them at The Majestic. Great old venue. Have Neil Young coming up on Memorial Day nite. Rescheduled from May 2nd due to rain out.
Cage the Elephant and Kings of Leon later this summer. Maybe ELO in October but good seats are CRAZY expensive.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I thought Cake put on a really great concert.

Waterworks as a venue sucks and it sucks hard.
  1. Parking was abysmal. I paid and parked in a Keck parking lot...which was overfilled when they took my money.
  2. There was one path that everyone walked on to get to the one single entrance, even then security seemed to be overwhelmed with a pretty minor crowd.
  3. Cashless payment...I like this. Cash only beer and 1 ATM. WTF is this?
  4. I had a GA ticket but was pretty much able to wander where ever I wanted because there's no way to tell who sits where once you're in that area.
  5. Why the hell would I ever pay for another concert at Waterworks when I can ride my bike, party with everyone sitting directly outside of the venue, and watch from an elevated levy allowing me a full view with as much room as I want?
In my opinion, the city saw a spot for an amphitheater and figured they could hire out the rest of it. I'm glad they're bringing in some solid artists, but I'll opt for the free route next time.
It certainly has its traffic issues but what venue doesn’t? As I mentioned up thread your best bet is getting there early if at all possible. I parked for free and had zero problems getting in and out.

Not sure what you’re talking about with cash only beer. We used a card at the main tent in the middle. Also not sure what you mean by being able to wander wherever. If you purchase a reserved seat they are numbered like anywhere else and the large open grassy area behind those is all GA.

But yeah, if you don’t care about being close to the stage, buying merch or having access to the vendors then sitting just outside the fence will save you some bucks. You’re still gonna have to deal with the traffic though.

Saul_T

Nov 16, 2020
Not sure what you’re talking about with cash only beer. We used a card at the main tent in the middle. Also not sure what you mean by being able to wander wherever. If you purchase a reserved seat they are numbered like anywhere else and the large open grassy area behind those is all GA.
I must have been on the wrong side of the venue for beer then. There was a tent near the portopottys that was cash only and an out of order ATM.

I know there was reserved seating, but you could literally walk up to the seated areas and stand right next to them. I got up to the "orchestra pit" area with ease and just hung out for awhile until I went back to get some merch. There were no barriers to enter those parts of the venue without the appropriate ticket.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
I must have been on the wrong side of the venue for beer then. There was a tent near the portopottys that was cash only and an out of order ATM.

I know there was reserved seating, but you could literally walk up to the seated areas and stand right next to them. I got up to the "orchestra pit" area with ease and just hung out for awhile until I went back to get some merch. There were no barriers to enter those parts of the venue without the appropriate ticket.
Yeah there should have been security telling people not to linger in those areas but I think most were busy trying to enforce the no picture policy.

Reactions: dmclone

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Val Air - Violent Femmes
Waukee - Sleep Token
Wells - Disturbed

Disturbed Review:

Femmes were great at Val Air; I took my eighth grader with me. We originally were going to take the third grader, but I am glad we didn’t because it was pretty packed in there. Their set up was similar to cake, they did the entire second album (Hallowed Ground), then a short intermission followed by the first album, and then the shortest ever break I have seen before an encore. The benefit of having a concert put on by 60-ish year olds is that they are there to do a job and then go to sleep, little screwing around!

But it was great. Gordon’s voice has changed a tiny bit over the years, but still good. The whole thing was great.

Reactions: Jer

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Femmes were great at Val Air; I took my eighth grader with me. We originally were going to take the third grader, but I am glad we didn’t because it was pretty packed in there. Their set up was similar to cake, they did the entire second album (Hallowed Ground), then a short intermission followed by the first album, and then the shortest ever break I have seen before an encore. The benefit of having a concert put on by 60-ish year olds is that they are there to do a job and then go to sleep, little screwing around!

But it was great. Gordon’s voice has changed a tiny bit over the years, but still good. The whole thing was great.
Probably good that I don't have kids. I can't imagine taking an 8 year old to a concert.