MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Good stuff. Very well could be their plan and they'll open with what they have.
The early surprise to me is that it seems Miranda still might be the odd man out on the bench. Was hoping he might be part of a young hitting group of Arraez, Larnach, Kirilloff, and Rooker.
And for the money, I wish they would have taken a flier on Big Mike.
I like that group. I think Larnach needs more seasoning. He’s the one I’m most intrigued by to see how he handles guys that have a scouting report on him and if he can hit through that this time.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Good stuff. Very well could be their plan and they'll open with what they have.
The early surprise to me is that it seems Miranda still might be the odd man out on the bench. Was hoping he might be part of a young hitting group of Arraez, Larnach, Kirilloff, and Rooker.
And for the money, I wish they would have taken a flier on Big Mike.
I would have taken Mike over Bundy but that's it.

Miranda will get his shot. No worries. There will be injuries for sure. If not and he takes, then Urshela becomes expendable, or Sano or Arraez becomes a trade chip for a Big time SP. Or Miranda himself does.

If Miranda takes at AAA and there is no room for him at the Top, probably means the Twins are the top offense in the league and we are all talking about world series.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

Miranda will get his shot. No worries. There will be injuries for sure. If not and he takes, then Urshela becomes expendable, or Sano or Arraez becomes a trade chip for a Big time SP. Or Miranda himself does.

If Miranda takes at AAA and there is no room for him at the Top, probably means the Twins are the top offense in the league and we are all talking about world series.
I agree but I seriously question Sano’s trade value. He’s so inconsistent.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
That's the thing. If he is playing like garbage, the might move him for peanuts just to open a spot for someone else.

Tpups21

Apr 11, 2006
West Des Moines, IA

I'd trade Miranda and a top pitching prospect like Winder or Canterino for a frontline starter. Still not completely sold on Miranda. Twins left him unprotected in the 2020 Rule 5 Draft for a reason. Maybe last year was just a fluke. Perfect time to sell high.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That's the thing. If he is playing like garbage, the might move him for peanuts just to open a spot for someone else.
It also depends on if Larnach is hitting too and can viably fit in at 1st unless I’m missing someone else who can play there. I mean I guess Arraez can and I think has randomly but obviously that’s not who you want there everyday. Can Sanchez play 1B?

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
It also depends on if Larnach is hitting too and can viably fit in at 1st unless I’m missing someone else who can play there. I mean I guess Arraez can and I think has randomly but obviously that’s not who you want there everyday. Can Sanchez play 1B?

Well, this entire scenario in my head would be to get a guy (Miranda) to the big leagues because he is tearing it up and the big league club needs this upgrade. This only occurs if Sano is slumping and the front office knows they aren't going to pick up his 2023 club option. I don't think this option is likely.

Options
Miranda started at 1B in 26 games last year. 30 at 2B, 52 at 3B and 3 in LF. He can fill a lot of roles, including 1B after a Sano trade, theoretically.
A far less likely scenario in Sano trade is Kiriloff headed to 1B (his likely permanent home due to the Twins OF depth) and Miranda gets some OF playing time.

Sano potentially could be traded even if he is playing well. Right now, the Twins payroll is $128 Million. Last year it was $134M. If that is the limit, it limits the GMs options. They could get Mannea or Montas from A's, but it certainly limits their moves. If they want to make a bigger move, Sano, Urshela or a rejuvenated Gary Sanchez are their best options to clear payroll.

Reactions: JM4CY

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006

No worries, I read this morning that Sano worked out really hard this off season and lost weight with the expectation of improving his hitting...........just like the last 3 years.

• Funny
Reactions: JM4CY

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
No worries, I read this morning that Sano worked out really hard this off season and lost weight with the expectation of improving his hitting...........just like the last 3 years.

He is what he is. I've never been that disappointed with him. HIs last year years have been OPR+ of 112, 105 and 135. He's an above average MLB player with superstar potential any given year. I think his disaster of a season in 2018 (his only below average season) makes everyone think he's some overpaid, below average player.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He is what he is. I've never been that disappointed with him. HIs last year years have been OPR+ of 112, 105 and 135. He's an above average MLB player with superstar potential any given year. I think his disaster of a season in 2018 (his only below average season) makes everyone think he's some overpaid, below average player.
His high SO numbers are likely what drives people crazy. When zoomed out and his analytics are taken into account as a whole, it changes how he can (and probably should be) be viewed. It's just so annoying being down 1 run in the 7th and watching him K for the 3rd time in a game with runners on.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I read the other day, Sano has produced 9 WAR in 7 seasons. He also owns the 3rd highest SO rate in history. Correa was 6.3 WAR last year. Maybe not a fair comparison, but that is considered superstar status.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
His high SO numbers are likely what drives people crazy. When zoomed out and his analytics are taken into account as a whole, it changes how he can (and probably should be) be viewed. It's just so annoying being down 1 run in the 7th and watching him K for the 3rd time in a game with runners on.
Is there a stat out there for SO swinging vs take?
Seems like everyone knows what's coming (breaking ball low and away) when Sano has two strikes. He needs to take those pitches.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Oh good! Another #5 starter!!

There is a ton to like about this (for the right trade).
He's young, cheap and controllable.
He has good stuff.
Potential turn-around candidate to be a mid-rotation starter.
Right now a great option to follow an opener for a few innings. He is fantastic his first time through the order. Would also make him a good reliever.
He's much better with more rest. With Ryan, Ober, other rookies, recovering Archer, they could do a 6 man rotation.

Baldelli and the Twins know how to think outside the box. He's got a ton to offer if you don't just look at him as a #5 starter expected to get you 6+ innings

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There is a ton to like about this (for the right trade).
He's young, cheap and controllable.
He has good stuff.
Potential turn-around candidate to be a mid-rotation starter.
Right now a great option to follow an opener for a few innings. He is fantastic his first time through the order. Would also make him a good reliever.
He's much better with more rest. With Ryan, Ober, other rookies, recovering Archer, they could do a 6 man rotation.

Baldelli and the Twins know how to think outside the box. He's got a ton to offer if you don't just look at him as a #5 starter expected to get you 6+ innings
That’s good to hear. I knew zero about him and did a quick baseball reference look at him. Looks like he was decent in ‘19 but the last couple years had a Kyle Gibson vibe minus the homers.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
That’s good to hear. I knew zero about him and did a quick baseball reference look at him. Looks like he was decent in ‘19 but the last couple years had a Kyle Gibson vibe minus the homers.
Hard to get too exited about this move. Padres weren't expecting too much from him this year after seeing the slugging percentage skyrocket the last two years. If he's recovered from his elbow problems, we'll see.