MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Looks like Paddack might cost Kepler, Larnach or Rodgers. I wonder what else is coming with this guy. I think you 100% send Kepler or Rodgers before Larnach. Not sure why he is even on the table, if he actually is.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Twins don't have many dominant players and this trade doesn't improve things. Padres easily win this one.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Rooker also sent to Padres. If this Paddack guy sucks, the front office will get crucified. I see the rationale here and I think Rodger's best days are behind him but this is a trade that feels weird. At least this guy is cheap.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I haven't seen Rooker confirmed, but I wouldn't cry any tears if he left. Too one dimensional. If the front office hits on all these reclamation projects, it will be the equivalent to winning the Powerball.

One potential good thing, is that they likely didn't give up anything that would prevent the team from still going after Montas.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I haven't seen Rooker confirmed, but I wouldn't cry any tears if he left. Too one dimensional. If the front office hits on all these reclamation projects, it will be the equivalent to winning the Powerball.

One potential good thing, is that they likely didn't give up anything that would prevent the team from still going after Montas.
Correct. They will have to give up a prized prospect to get him. The problem is, unless he's awful early, his price will only go up. And the A's likely know that.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
..... If the front office hits on all these reclamation projects, it will be the equivalent to winning the Powerball.....
Last year's pitching additions were a disaster. Hope the Twins brain trust isn't setting up the team for a repeat.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Last year's pitching additions were a disaster. Hope the Twins brain trust isn't setting up the team for a repeat.
Agreed. Disaster isn't a strong enough word. Gray, Paddack, and Archer might not turn out to be good but, by virtue of regression to the mean, simply are not likely to the cluster that Shoemaker, Colome, etc. turned out to be.

SWCy13

Nov 14, 2011

Lineup has the potential to be scary good. 3 all stars at the top. Hopefully Kiriloff can develop into a stud & we get the good versions of Sano, Sanchez, & Kepler (or at the very least they all aren't the awful versions of themselves).

I liked the Paddack trade. Rogers is a free agent at the end of this year & relievers are far & away the easiest pieces to replace. Paddack was a stud as a rookie in 2019 & is only 26 years old. Potential is there to be a 2 or 3 in a good rotation if he can put it together.

Still, there are so many questions with the rotation. Basically everybody they are relying on has some sort of a question of returning to form or a significant lack of experience. It will be a miracle if the starting staff is even average.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Lineup has the potential to be scary good. 3 all stars at the top. Hopefully Kiriloff can develop into a stud & we get the good versions of Sano, Sanchez, & Kepler (or at the very least they all aren't the awful versions of themselves).

I liked the Paddack trade. Rogers is a free agent at the end of this year & relievers are far & away the easiest pieces to replace. Paddack was a stud as a rookie in 2019 & is only 26 years old. Potential is there to be a 2 or 3 in a good rotation if he can put it together.

Still, there are so many questions with the rotation. Basically everybody they are relying on has some sort of a question of returning to form or a significant lack of experience. It will be a miracle if the starting staff is even average.
I think it's time for people to realize that Kepler's 2019 was a fluke. He simply does not get you the production you need from a corner OF spot.

• Agree
Reactions: somecyguy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think it's time for people to realize that Kepler's 2019 was a fluke. He simply does not get you the production you need from a corner OF spot.
i agree. Which sucks because I really like Max. I mean, he’s hitting 9th today for a reason. Makes me sad.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Rooker also sent to Padres. If this Paddack guy sucks, the front office will get crucified. I see the rationale here and I think Rodger's best days are behind him but this is a trade that feels weird. At least this guy is cheap.

Rooker is pretty blocked due to outfield help galore. While outside 2019 Kepler hasn't been a star he is very serviceable. Buxton is obviously in center. Larnach and Kirilloff are both significantly more highly regarded and if injury strikes there are a couple of guys in the high minors who have some promise.

Paddack has significant upside and I'll never fault the Twins to try and beef up starting pitching. Worst come to worst his stuff should play up quite well in the bullpen.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
This is was a good trade with a high chance of becoming great and a low chance of becoming awful.

Rooker was going to get knocked off the 40 man and someone was going to nab him for free, so losing him was nothing.
Twins get a PTBNL, which is just a lottery ticket.

Rogers is a great closer and will be missed. This is where the low chance of being awful comes from. However, he's coming off an injury, so no sure thing. He leaves the Twins after this year (they won't pay a RP what Rogers will get). They already have Duffey, Thielbar and Alcala for high leverage situations. Duran might also step in right away in that role. They have a few other free agent RPs that might be reliable, a la Coulombe last year or Wisler the year before. Plus, Stashak has been really good at times and Griffen Jax might thrive too. They had a really good bullpen in the 2nd half last year without Rogers, so I think they'll be able to shuffle guys back and forth from St. Paul to piece together a good bullpen this year.

At a minimum, Emilio Pagan falls into that list of rotational relive pitchers where you ride the hot hand. He was excellent in 2017, blah in 2018, elite in 2019 blah in 2020/21. Tampa got him to elite in 2019, so I like our chances to do the same. If he does that, then him for Rogers 1 for 1 isn't a bad trade. Plus the Twins get him for 2 years.

Paddack's first 3 years look a lot like Kyle Gibson's, except he was 3 years younger, had way more strikeouts and way more walks. Its very likely he turns into a Kyle Gibson for 3 years. Worst case, he moves to the bullpen if his third pitch doesn't develop. He was fantastic in the first 3 innings of games his entire career, so he could be an elite RP. Small chance is that he has more raw talent than Kyle Gibson and turns into a borderline #2 SP.