MLB: ***2024 Minnesota Twins***

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Varland may be a starter at some point during the season, but I don't expect that will be right away.

Starting 5 are likely to be Ober, Ryan, DeSclafani, Lopez and Paddack. With the exception of Lopez, that's not exactly a stellar starting staff. Ober and Ryan have both had their moments, but they both seemed to fade as the season wore on last year. DeSclafani and Paddack, who knows what to expect out of them? Simeon Woods Richardson had a good outing today, even though he only threw 17 pitches. They're building him up, so maybe he could be a starting option somewhere down the road this year.
Ober didn't fade much. I think the numbers back up that he is a really solid #2.

SWR velocity was WAY up. They changed his arm slot and may have added 2-3 Mph. That could be a game changer.

With a weak central, they can see how the first 3 months go and make a big trade if necessary.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I'm beginning to worry about this year's team. I know spring training is not the regular season, but I've also followed baseball long enough to realize that sometimes, your performance in spring training is indicative to some degree of how you will perform during the season.

This Twins team is 8-19 so far this spring and the disturbing part about that is a lot of the runs being scored against them are in the first few innings when the supposed starters for the Twins are pitching.

Another disturbing part is how often they have been shut out this spring and how often they have only 4-5 hits for the whole game. The pitching is bad, the hitting is bad, the record is bad. Not a good indication of things to come.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm beginning to worry about this year's team. I know spring training is not the regular season, but I've also followed baseball long enough to realize that sometimes, your performance in spring training is indicative to some degree of how you will perform during the season.

This Twins team is 8-19 so far this spring and the disturbing part about that is a lot of the runs being scored against them are in the first few innings when the supposed starters for the Twins are pitching.

Another disturbing part is how often they have been shut out this spring and how often they have only 4-5 hits for the whole game. The pitching is bad, the hitting is bad, the record is bad. Not a good indication of things to come.
It would serve ownership right for cutting salary, but unfortunately us fans will pay the price as well.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

Not going to say you are wrong by any means, but I will give a counter point.

Buxton, Julien, Jeffers and Castro have an OPS over 1.000. Kiriloff is close. Santana, Correa have been fine. Lewis has slumped bit he will be fine. Kepler and Waller have been bad.

You never know with pitchers. Their spring training strategy can be completely different than the regular season. Trying new pitches. Or maybe a guy has a great slider for strikeouts, but works on some other pitch so he has options. The goal in spring training might not be to having the highest probability of getting guys out.

Lopez has been awful but he will be fine.
Ober has been a strikeout machine.
Ryan has been good.
Varland has been great.
Paddack hasn't been good.

Reactions: Marcelason78

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Not going to say you are wrong by any means, but I will give a counter point.

Buxton, Julien, Jeffers and Castro have an OPS over 1.000. Kiriloff is close. Santana, Correa have been fine. Lewis has slumped bit he will be fine. Kepler and Waller have been bad.

You never know with pitchers. Their spring training strategy can be completely different than the regular season. Trying new pitches. Or maybe a guy has a great slider for strikeouts, but works on some other pitch so he has options. The goal in spring training might not be to having the highest probability of getting guys out.

Lopez has been awful but he will be fine.
Ober has been a strikeout machine.
Ryan has been good.
Varland has been great.
Paddack hasn't been good.
Ober gave up 4 runs today in 4.1 innings. His ERA this spring is 5.65. Varland has not been "Great," although his spring ERA is better than Ober's at this point at 4.80. That's still way too high. Paddack's ERA is lower than Varland's at 4.70, so I don't know how you can say one has been great and the other hasn't been good. They've all been bad, except for Ryan, if you ask me.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Ober gave up 4 runs today in 4.1 innings. His ERA this spring is 5.65. Varland has not been "Great," although his spring ERA is better than Ober's at this point at 4.80. That's still way too high. Paddack's ERA is lower than Varland's at 4.70, so I don't know how you can say one has been great and the other hasn't been good. They've all been bad, except for Ryan, if you ask me.
Espn's stars must be wrong then. They have him at 11 innings and 0 runs.

Doesn't change the fact that spring training strategy differs from the regular season.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Royce Lewis 1st at bat a HR. He is going to be so fun if he can stay healthy.
Royce is going to have a monster year. Correa should rebound to the mean and what ever play the Twins gets from Buxton is gravy. The big question remains on how they replace Gray’s innings.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Royce is going to have a monster year. Correa should rebound to the mean and what ever play the Twins gets from Buxton is gravy. The big question remains on how they replace Gray’s innings.
Better hope to god Paddock is legit… and durable.

• Agree
Reactions: Marcelason78

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Two months is good news?
Not really for a player that special. Better than 3-4 months I guess. Glad he’s the kind of guy that will do rehab the right way. Hope Brooks Lee can get ready fast.

I like Jax but I’m almost more worried about Duran. We have to have an ELITE pen with the back end of the rotation like this. And you can’t have an elite bullpen with that flamethrower.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Hope the Okert trade pays dividends. More outings like today would make the Gordon trade look really good.