***2024 NCAA Wrestling - Session 4 (Fri., 7:00)***

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
The most stacked bracket of the tournament was 165. During the semis Burroughs and Cormier got into such a conversation about transfers and NIL they had no idea what was going on in the matches...very annoying
Wrestling coverage has had a lot to be desired the whole tournament. Especially tonight. Hopefully tomorrow night is better. They should just let the big 10 guys do it. Wish they could get it all on fox instead.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Wrestling coverage has had a lot to be desired the whole tournament. Especially tonight. Hopefully tomorrow night is better. They should just let the big 10 guys do it. Wish they could get it all on fox instead.

Are you serious? I would rather have no one than listen to the homers from big 10s. Even Gibbons has sold out, but that is his job. I liked Jordon for the Olympics, and he was OK tonight, but when you add some of the other characters, it just gets a little tougher. I always like Anthony Robles, but this morning all he could talk about was Figeueroa. That got old fast.

Reactions: CyNews

Dirtguy4CY

May 4, 2022
Are you serious? I would rather have no one than listen to the homers from big 10s. Even Gibbons has sold out, but that is his job. I liked Jordon for the Olympics, and he was OK tonight, but when you add some of the other characters, it just gets a little tougher. I always like Anthony Robles, but this morning all he could talk about was Figeueroa. That got old fast.
I think Gibbons and Johnson give good analysis though overall. Sparks is a downright homer. I agree with you on Robles and JB isn't bad. Imo Q sucks with the mat side interviews and the guy in the middle tonight I wasn't impressed with. I think the best part of the duals on btn is the format and how they have the scoring and riding time on screen.

Reactions: alabamacyclone

jcordova8

Social Media Director, Wrestling Beat Writer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
The most stacked bracket of the tournament was 165. During the semis Burroughs and Cormier got into such a conversation about transfers and NIL they had no idea what was going on in the matches...very annoying
I am catching up on all of your messages and I am so glad someone said this.

I love JB and I am star struck around him always but my god wtf was that broadcast tonight? Side convos are fine when they're relevant or they flow well into what's happening. This isn't the time to break down these topics. I mostly watch the matcast so I get Shane Sparks but during Ech's match I was driving home from the hospital and I hated the broadcast with them. Which sucks because JB is a legend and I want him to grow and be more prominent in the media space but that sucked IMO.

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I am catching up on all of your messages and I am so glad someone said this.

I love JB and I am star struck around him always but my god wtf was that broadcast tonight? Side convos are fine when they're relevant or they flow well into what's happening. This isn't the time to break down these topics. I mostly watch the matcast so I get Shane Sparks but during Ech's match I was driving home from the hospital and I hated the broadcast with them. Which sucks because JB is a legend and I want him to grow and be more prominent in the media space but that sucked IMO.
I honestly think it's Cormier. He doesn't seem to really know many of the wrestlers but he has a way of driving the Conversation and it side tracks JB. I don't know if it's ESPN trying to connect wrestling with UFC through him, but it's not working

jcordova8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
I agree that it was mostly Cormier who led those side conversations and it did not mesh well. I will avoid listening to them tomorrow sadly. Shane Sparks continues to be the GOAT. Also I agree that the Cyclone Broadcast is unmatched. I had people keeping me up-to-date with Nate Carr's commentary during Big 12's and I wish I had put an airpod in my ear while working haha

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
ESPN also needs to hear this from the audience. If they know that people are tuning the volume off to listen elsewhere or just white noise, maybe they will get it. The mat is where the action is, and that is why people are tuning in. I am not a big UFC guy, so Cormier trying to connect the two is lost on me. Focus on the mat, gentlemen.

jcordova8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 1, 2016
ESPN also needs to hear this from the audience. If they know that people are tuning the volume off to listen elsewhere or just white noise, maybe they will get it. The mat is where the action is, and that is why people are tuning in. I am not a big UFC guy, so Cormier trying to connect the two is lost on me. Focus on the mat, gentlemen.
Well and this is where I think Kyven Gadson shines. Gadson does a wonderful job of showing his research and attention to detail by providing additional information, context and background. He explains wrestling and teaches you more about the individuals competing. I don't care about random sh*t during these broadcasts. You honestly shouldn't bring up ANYTHING that isn't related to the action IMO. If people want side chats they can seek out podcasts or preview/post-shows.

hiltonisheaven

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
Well and this is where I think Kyven Gadson shines. Gadson does a wonderful job of showing his research and attention to detail by providing additional information, context and background. He explains wrestling and teaches you more about the individuals competing. I don't care about random sh*t during these broadcasts. You honestly shouldn't bring up ANYTHING that isn't related to the action IMO. If people want side chats they can seek out podcasts or preview/post-shows.
Great point. Gadson joined the Cyclone booth just before the Carr-O’Toole match. They asked Kyven what Carr could do differently on his single-legs to finish. Kyven said he needed to secure the first foot deep in his elbow and then come up to the other leg….it was very detailed and he went on to explain he needed to change it up from prior matches to catch him off guard. Then the match started and played out just how Kyven explained. Great analysis and glad I heard it rather than the MMA talk on Espn.