2024 solar eclipse

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Second solar eclipse in 7 years that I plan on getting somewhere to see. In 2017 it was over cast during totality. That was a bit of a bummer but still pretty cool. About to pull the trigger on a room in Dayton Ohio the night before for about half what everyone else is charging. Who else is planning on going somewhere?

Eclipse will be on April 8th.

Traffic was a **** show in 2017 but worth it in my opinion as these are quite rare. The next total eclipse in the US wont be until 2044.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Seriously considering flying down to Carbondale for the day with the kids to see it.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Being in the Detroit metro we’re going to just miss being in the totality. Was tossing around the idea of visiting my wife’s family near Youngstown, OH for the day, but the kids have school that day. Kind of up in the air of what to do for that day at this point.

Reactions: JEFF420

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
We went to Wyoming last time when close locations were cloudy. Thinking about maybe Arkansas this time. A couple of our sons missed the last one so trying to make sure they work this one out. Guessing we are too late in the game for campsites.

BONES4ISU

Sep 6, 2010
Last time we decided the day before where to go because you can't predict the weather. Drove 6 hrs to the Carbondale airport. Wide open views and minimal traffic. We immediately decided to do it again for this year since it was so cool. Would go there again if the weather cooperates, although we have friends in Indy and that would be a little closer (from the QC).

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I've got a camping site booked in Arkansas right in the middle of the path of totality.
If you haven't gotten viewing glasses you can order them online from B&H photo
We have friends around Hot Springs and may go down there for it. GF rides the pig trail with them.

SuperTrooper

Mar 26, 2012
Went north of KC last time for a day trip. Was cloudy almost the whole time but saw it for about 30 seconds a few minutes before totality. Even with that watching the darkness come from the west was super cool and creepy at the same time.

All I did was scoped out a church parking lot about 10 miles off I-35 just a couple groups of us in 2 cars. Nice and quiet. If I do it again that will be my strategy but will stay in St Louis the night before before heading south.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We went to Wyoming last time when close locations were cloudy. Thinking about maybe Arkansas this time. A couple of our sons missed the last one so trying to make sure they work this one out. Guessing we are too late in the game for campsites.
I was just north of Lusk Wyoming.

I should add this place still had sites yesterday. This is where I'm camping

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I was just north of Lusk Wyoming.

I should add this place still had sites yesterday. This is where I'm camping
Thanks! We were in Douglas, Wyoming last time with the youngest two sons, and another was somewhere camping in Idaho.

Camping would help with the traffic jam issue.

Reactions: wxman1

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Everyone should experience it once. With that in mind, as a celestial event it's just, meh after your first. On a 1-10 scale Comet Hale Bopp was a 9.5, a full sky aurora is a 9.0+ and a total solar eclipse is about a 7.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Thanks! We were in Douglas, Wyoming last time with the youngest two sons, and another was somewhere camping in Idaho.

Camping would help with the traffic jam issue.
Yes, traffic was really backed up getting out of there. Once i got past Lingle going towards Scottsbluff it finally opened up

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Cubbieblue202

Sep 19, 2019
Sister-in-law is a postdoc at Texas. Fittingly, her PhD is in planetary science. We're heading down to Austin for the weekend to a) check out some of the events around the area (excite) and b) toss out a few "horns down" in the belly of the beast (more excite).

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
That's exactly what I did. I was in the Black Hills the night before keeping an eye on the weather in western Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. The plan was to go to CarHenge in Alliance, NE, but clouds were a possibility. Left Custer, SD at 4am and got to the very tiny town of Jay Em, WY just before sunrise as cars started to pile into the path of totality. I will never forget that day. It was picture perfect. I had known about the eclipse since the total eclipse in the late 70s when a teacher told me the next one would happen when I was 44 years old. The picture is of sunrise that morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4628.jpeg
    IMG_4628.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 34

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
That's exactly what I did. I was in the Black Hills the night before keeping an eye on the weather in western Nebraska and Eastern Wyoming. The plan was to go to CarHenge in Alliance, NE, but clouds were a possibility. Left Custer, SD at 4am and got to the very tiny town of Jay Em, WY just before sunrise as cars started to pile into the path of totality. I will never forget that day. It was picture perfect. I had known about the eclipse since the total eclipse in the late 70s when a teacher told me the next one would happen when I was 44 years old. The picture is of sunrise that morning.
Husband was intent to see it after seeing the one in the 70’s. He insists we’re going in 2044 as well, if I’m still kicking I will be Golden Girl age by then.