2024 solar eclipse

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I'm heading to Dallas from Minnesota for the eclipse. The weather is not looking good...hope the forecast changes before then.

How insane is it going to be in the area? We're hoping to see some sights, find some good restaurants, etc. but are worried it will be a madhouse everywhere. Any tips?
Towns in the path of totality pretty much all recommend you bring your own food. Will be difficult I would think getting into a decent restaurant.

Cyburbbalz

Dec 14, 2019
I've got a camping site booked in Arkansas right in the middle of the path of totality.
If you haven't gotten viewing glasses you can order them online from B&H photo
Where at in Arkansas? My parents live in Bull Shoals and it's all they're talking about.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
I remember the Conga Line home for the last one. Took about 4 hours for a hour and change commute. Sitting this one out and not sad about it.

Those of you who are advancing the breach: enjoy. It's a once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Taking Sweetie Pie (1st wife) to Mt. Home, Ark. Sunday for overnight. Choice Hotel system jacked price to $350, just glad to get it. Planning on 60 miles to Cherokee Village, Ark. for viewing at peak spot. They’ve been planning for two years and have a 3 day festival scheduled. But will check weather that morning and adjust where we go if need be. Last eclipse a few years ago we went to Savannah, Mo which was in the peak zone but it was 100% cloud cover that day. Bummer, hoping for no clouds on the 8th, obviously.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Towns in the path of totality pretty much all recommend you bring your own food. Will be difficult I would think getting into a decent restaurant.
I think south of DFW metroplex and down around the Hill County will be worse but it’s all going to be a cluster! We’ll just be watching from our back yard with friends and neighbors fingers crossed for clear skies

Reactions: NWICY

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Taking Sweetie Pie (1st wife) to Mt. Home, Ark. Sunday for overnight. Choice Hotel system jacked price to $350, just glad to get it. Planning on 60 miles to Cherokee Village, Ark. for viewing at peak spot. They’ve been planning for two years and have a 3 day festival scheduled. But will check weather that morning and adjust where we go if need be. Last eclipse a few years ago we went to Savannah, Mo which was in the peak zone but it was 100% cloud cover that day. Bummer, hoping for no clouds on the 8th, obviously.
For a memorable trip, take the second wife too.o_O;)

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Go early or you won’t get there. Last time (‘17?) around traffic in rural Missouri was the most bonkers I have ever experienced.
Same. We pulled off the interstate and drove to some rando town hs football stadium parking lot. It was great until the entire school came out to join us 10 minutes before the event, that was awkward.

• Funny
Reactions: Turn2

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Same. We pulled off the interstate and drove to some rando town hs football stadium parking lot. It was great until the entire school came out to join us 10 minutes before the event, that was awkward.
We went to Pony Express Lake NW of Cameron, I believe. We were in place early enough. Even though is was just a short distance to US 36 and I-35, both were parking lots. I would not be able to retrace the roundabout route back to Polk County. It took HOURS.

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I stayed in Spearfish, got going first thing in the morning, drove to Sundance and then south to get as close to Lusk as I could. Traffic was no big deal till I got past Newcastle
We had almost the same itinerary except about 20 miles apart. My friend and I drove through Lusk just before sunrise and got to Jay Em as the sun was coming up. This was our spot for the day.

Attachments

• Jay Em.jpg
    Jay Em.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
I'm heading to Dallas from Minnesota for the eclipse. The weather is not looking good...hope the forecast changes before then.

How insane is it going to be in the area? We're hoping to see some sights, find some good restaurants, etc. but are worried it will be a madhouse everywhere. Any tips?
I don't have any tips, but I'd expect it to be an absolute madhouse. I was in the middle of nowhere, WY in 2017, and it took three hours to drive the 34 miles from Jay Em to Torrington afterwards due to the amount of traffic heading back south into Colorado. I swear the state of Colorado must have been empty that day.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
You want to be in the middle of nowhere if you can. City lights will come on and partially ruin the effect if you are around streetlights.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
We went to Pony Express Lake NW of Cameron, I believe. We were in place early enough. Even though is was just a short distance to US 36 and I-35, both were parking lots. I would not be able to retrace the roundabout route back to Polk County. It took HOURS.
We ended up just east of there, in Hamilton. The 10 miles back to I-35, yeah, a couple hours at least. Nutty.

This time, I think we will bring a deck of cards, and maybe a grill. Hell, maybe the whole tailgate setup, that might be the clever thing to do.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Speaking of the eclipse, Being that the sun is out today I should put my filter on the camera and get my settings for that. I pulled out my cheat sheet from last time and have no idea how I was able to photograph it in 2017 based on those chicken scratches.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We were at a friend's acreage in that area the night before and day of. It was totally overcast all morning and just started clearing up as the partial began. Was totally clear by totality. We got so lucky there. Was planning to drive back to MN for work the next day. After a couple of hours sitting in that I-35 bumper to bumper traffic crawl I called my boss and told him it wasn't happening, I was taking another day. Ended up staying in Ames overnight.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Speaking of the eclipse, Being that the sun is out today I should put my filter on the camera and get my settings for that. I pulled out my cheat sheet from last time and have no idea how I was able to photograph it in 2017 based on those chicken scratches.
If it ends up being more overcast than sunny, here is my 10 minute experience from '17. My most impressive capture was a timelapse of the surrounding countryside. Seeing the foreground go dark while distant hills were somewhat lit was kinda cool.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
This is a snip from seemingly my best shot from my test. I had my focus turned on infinity but that is a bit tricky. I might try to just set it to auto and let it focus and then switch it to manual mode.
Interesting that I don't see any sun spots

1712165600852.png

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Roadside motels asking $1K for rooms in southern Illinois I was told by a local. Last time they ran out of gas as people hoarded when they thought the area was going to be descended upon. A rare part of the world that has experienced the phenomenon recently is trying to better prepare.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron