sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
All these posters pretending that it’s a huge coincidence that the first year we have players that didn’t already know how to play hoiberg basketball..is the year the team looks like they are being coached by a mid major coach..

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Nope, and I figured you would say that. But these performances shouldn’t be forgotten if failures rack up in the future. Nobody is saying fire Prohm right now. Some are still nervous about our future and I think that’s perfectly reasonable.
Of course that's reasonable. I'd say about 70% of college teams are somewhat nervous about their future. If you're not a blue blood, and aren't currently competing for the best in your conference, then you're worried about the future of the program.

Let's look at the nuts and bolts of this program.
-Has Prohm shown the ability to have his teams improve throughout the year?
- Has Prohm won in tournament style games?
- Are two freshmen, Wigginton and Lard, the best two players on the team?
- Does Prohm have a high quality recruiting class coming in next year?
Yes to all those.

I understand there's some negatives against the program as well.
- He hadn't been able to bring in high quality grad transfers?
- There has there been some very bad performances in Hilton
- His offense has struggled for stretches

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We need to keep upgrading our talent level. It’s obvious that we’re far behind currently.
How much do we need to upgrade to stay within 10 of UW-Milwaukee? How far behind Texas Tech are we in talent?

You need to have capable players, but we also need the staff to add value. The overwhelming-talent model isn’t likely to work here, and we have more than talent issues right now.

cdfree

Sep 5, 2011
Evanston, IL
I don't get why Prohm gets such a pass for this being a "big transition year." He brought nothing in in 2015 (admittedly tough circumstance). In 2016 he seems to have whiffed big on Long, who was the prized recruit. Jackson was a highly rated JUCO and has met expectations. Malou bailed. Lard is coming around. Young's just a guy. Granted Lewis is a frosh, but there's another 4 star recruit who doesn't play. This year's graduate transfers--Brase and Beverly--are bottom of the barrel. Thankfully he hit on Wiggington or it would have been really ugly. Lots of red flags everywhere--hopefully he can turn things around.

CycloneShamus92

Jan 14, 2018
Ranked team in sold out Hilton, students fired up and...team just doesn't show up. Woof. Talley and Young played well. Wigginton couldn't buy a basket, not even a free throw, but his effort was there & he's a freshman. You can tell he's special. I still think this team will respond and play MUCH better by end of the season.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I might get killed for this but at some point worrying/thinking it’s possible lard will transfer after the season isnt ludacris.

Thats funny because I was thinking the same thing when Lard did not start....there is definitely something going on between Lard and Prohm that is having a very adverse effect on this team....It would not surprise me one bit if Cam Lard transfers....remember all the transfers that McDoormat had in his years at ISU...that transfer bug might just be coming back for another visitation....

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Did you expect a top half of the conference finish?
Anybody expecting anything above bottom 2, was being overly optimistic. Bottom of the conference teams don't go a full season without some bad losses, even "historically bad. "

Losing three home games by 16+ by the end of January is "historically bad."

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Jesus people, 7 days ago we had a historic win in Hilton.

I can't believe there are so many idiots who think the coach should be fired. Actually, I can believe there are so many people on here that are idiots.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Comparing the pieces of this outfit with teams of recent years past, there is a talent defieicncy. There are a handful of coaches that could turn this roster into a postseason level team.

Just too many one-dimensional pieces. Brase, Solo and Beverly are nowhere near the skilled threats we have had. I understand the displeasure over today’s performance, but that Tennessee team was more skilled at every position. It’ll get better - a lot better, I believe - next year when we have multiple multi-skilled scoring threats.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Why all the Lard transfer talk? I get he got benched but it’s one game

This is the second incident though, so that is a little concerning.

He missed the first two games + exhibition and now this game he loses the start.

• Winner
Reactions: GM4ISU

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well he did get benched to start the season and he has some Jay Cutler body language going on.

We noticed that his body language was pretty solid to start them (when he was on the bench) he was cheering and supporting his teammates.

When he was actually playing and the team wasn't doing good, he stopped trying.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I guess the only time I noticed Lard's body language was when Wigginton didn't throw it up to him on that 2 on 1. He was at least getting some offensive boards early on

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Tennessee is good not great. They were beatable today, on a day where they shot poorly (for most of the game, finished at 38% still pretty meh). If we're hitting our shots today, we win. You take any Iowa State team from the last 6 years and throw them into todays game, it's a double digit victory for the good guys.

I am at a loss. People who say the talent isn't there could not be more right. Beverly and Brase do not belong. Freshman like Lindell and Cam shouldn't have to log more than 25 min per game. Other young players with potential just haven't lived up to the hype (Lewis, Long). Other guys are, as others have said, just guys (Babb, Young). D-Jax is a complementary piece, a sidekick, a Robin to a Batman we just don't have. Suffice to say the only one I don't have anything to say something bad about is Talley. He might be our best player right now.

I hate those who are piling on Prohm. Is the offense pretty? No. But is there a natural PG? No. Same problem Iowa has this year, turn out it's ours too. No floor general, no leader. Babb was handpicked by Prohm to be this peron, but he looks panicked-then-relieved to cross half court and dispose of the ball. Not a good sign that he is where we need him to be heading into next season, let alone how it bodes for the rest of this season.

Could be a bumpy ride here on out. Is there a win left on the schedule? I want to say yes. But the last couple games make it hard to even predict such an event happening again until the fall. Fans in attendance may have gotten a sour taste in their mouths today. How many more performances like this does it take to kill off Hilton Madness for the season?

psyclone51

Nov 6, 2011
My memory could be bad, but i don't remember mckay having issues under Fred, when he was DPOY, but had issues under Prohm.

But things like this

Are equally dumb, and some people posted **** like this under Rhoads and McDermott as well.

These coaches are getting paid millions of dollars to have those answers. The fact that a random message board poster doesnt have those answers is irrelevant. I'm not qualified to be chef either, but i can go into a restaurant and know if the food is terrible.
Wow. So what you are saying is that evaluating a coach's performance is as easy as tasting food in a restaurant.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
This team has the ability to play well. But they are also likely to lose to a D3 team on any given night. I can't decide if this is a potential tourney team or the Boone Toreadors ...