ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Yeah, the Ames location was up in Somerset. They opened up Ankeny really quickly, and then also a location out of the gas station in Nevada (the one across the street to the south of McDonald's).

The problem with Black Market was that **** took FOREVER, and the results could sometimes be hit-or-miss (although usually pretty good). They expanded far too quickly, and I don't think they had a good business model for it.

Seemed like once a week for about a year Black Market would post something along the lines of “if we don’t get X amount of customers this week, we won’t have the finances to stay open and must close.” The 3-4 restaurant owners I know were very much not ok with this after awhile, as it appeared like a ploy just to get customers to pity buy. Once or twice is understandable but doing is frequently is a bad look.

Reactions: Angie

VTXCyRyD

Sep 2, 2010
I was there early 90s and PP was terrible pizza then. Thin, greasy, "cheese" made from some kind of petroleum distillate product, crust like a damp washrag.

BUT

It was cheap af, might have been $8 for a large? Maybe 2 for $12 with a coupon?
And after a dozen or so Beast Lites, it qualified as "food".
It was cheaper than that in the mid 90's. I think the ISU coupon book you got in the dorms had it for 5.95 or 4.95 for a single topping, but they never took the coupon. Just call and tell them you have a coupon for $4.95 single topping large. We got it all the way down to $3.95 one time before they started asking for the coupon. Always tip the driver though. PP was a Sunday night supper for us

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Seemed like once a week for about a year Black Market would post something along the lines of “if we don’t get X amount of customers this week, we won’t have the finances to stay open and must close.” The 3-4 restaurant owners I know were very much not ok with this after awhile, as it appeared like a ploy just to get customers to pity buy. Once or twice is understandable but doing is frequently is a bad look.

It's really crappy, for sure. And that's the cost of doing business - do something different to get that business. That's really lame.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
I didn't really have a bad job in Ames. Worked for Hilton custodial services and the Community Life Program. My boss at Hilton was awesome and while they buckled down on the freedom a bit, my days would be working all day double header (along with being able to watch) with pizza and only getting called out with an issue, along with doing the regular cleaning after the games. Also it was my fallback job, if you were a good worker, the boss would schedule you whenever they needed help. Went back to them on 4 separate occasions, and I'll never forget it as a pretty broke college student.

Community Life Program was great too, made some good friends living in the houses and taught them life skills (though wasn't too hard on them), and the shift time gave me plenty of time to study (it was only me and the tennents, no supervisor). Could work as many hours as I wanted too.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I didn't really have a bad job in Ames. Worked for Hilton custodial services and the Community Life Program. My boss at Hilton was awesome and while they buckled down on the freedom a bit, my days would be working all day double header (along with being able to watch) with pizza and only getting called out with an issue, along with doing the regular cleaning after the games. Also it was my fallback job, if you were a good worker, the boss would schedule you whenever they needed help. Went back to them on 4 separate occasions, and I'll never forget it as a pretty broke college student.

Community Life Program was great too, made some good friends living in the houses and taught them life skills (though wasn't too hard on them), and the shift time gave me plenty of time to study (it was only me and the tenants, no supervisor). Could work as many hours as I wanted too.

I was an usher at Hilton. Pretty cool gig. Free concerts, got to meet some people, and even had Prince's personal chef make us food one night as we had to do "security" for a Sheila E photo shoot. Turned into a 14 hour day.

Got to go on Guns n Roses tour bus and carry out empty cases of booze and bear. Saw Axle face plant this girl as she was just annoying as ever. He just kept on walking. Guys I was with thought it was pretty crazy.

Had do do security for a Cinderella and AC/DC concert. I had a flashlight and each person coming in had to open there coat. A couple gals wanted to know if I needed to see what was under their shirt. :oops: This one kid kinda flashed open his coat for a split second and I saw something shiny. Told the cop beside me to check him out. Cop had him on the wall and other cop pulled three knives on this kid. Crazy stuff.

Reactions: TBT and VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron