***#3 Iowa State at #10 Missouri (Wed., 6:30)***

Cyowa 14

THE Iowa State University Class of 2014
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 26, 2019
Casey did choose neutral at 141. Just got taken down a couple times
How the hell did I miss this? I have it in my head he chose bottom in the second and got rode the whole period and I was furious. I was also wrangling a 6 and 2 year without the wife so that might have something to do with it lol

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
So is it a 4 way tie between ISU, OSU, Mizz, and NDSU get it since they all have 1 loss?
NDSU only wrestled Mizzou. Their schedule was light as hell. They didn't even wrestle UNI it looked like.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Open question: we had a pretty rugged schedule this year by comparison to a lot of schools. Does the better competition during the season, including more individual losses, tend to help us come March?

Reactions: Proton

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Having two and a half weeks off before Big 12's will do this group a world of good. When looking at individual results it's important to realize we wrestled a heavy and very difficult scheduled compared to some other teams. Heck we wrestled 7 really tough duals in the last 20 days (OU, Ok State, WVU, Pitt, UNI, Illinois and Mizzou). That's a lot of times getting down to weight in a short span and training through some duals. Despite that we found a way to win them all except Mizzou and even then we won 4 matchs (got screwed in another). I think that grind will pay off in the post season.

Get healthy and fresh over the next two weeks and go win a Big 12 title and an NCAA Trophy.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Open question: we had a pretty rugged schedule this year by comparison to a lot of schools. Does the better competition during the season, including more individual losses, tend to help us come March?
We will see how it plays out before the end of March. Last year we had a pretty weak schedule and for the most part had a relatively disappointing March. The tougher schedule will have the team battle tested, but we also have had more injuries this year. I tend to think the tougher schedule will result in an improved performance in March, but we will see

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa
They obviously thought Perryman gave them a better shot at winning 125. Higher ceiling but clearly a much lower floor, that one was tough. Wonder if we see Cabanban this weekend.

Any match that Casey leaves the first period tied or down, he’s in trouble. Needs major improvement in mat wrestling and it will happen, just not this year. Needs to get on a roll at Big 12’s.

Not concerned about Paniro. He was the aggressor and had a chance, just gave up in SV once he was down. Mauller should have given up stall points and everyone knows it.

I think you are correct and Bastida is the same with with top tier guys. If either of them are not getting the first takedown then it's much harder for them.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
That win by Carr -- he put the 165 field on notice! Yonger's loss isn't predictive of much, IMO. He's up and down like that. I think he'll be there when it matters. I don't understand why Coleman comes out flat sometimes. Schuyler is far and away most improved and a threat to all but the top 2-3, who simply have the natural speed and strength to outdo him. Everyone else performed within their range of expectations.

Swiderski is where any reasonable person would expect him to be as a true freshman in top-level D1 competition. Frankly, too many bought into early hype. I like to think the staff was more level headed--that they're wrestling him not because they thought he'd be a 4x phenom, but because they had a team that could vie for hardware (pre injuries) and CS was the best option for team points. He'll win a couple at Nationals, but it's time to see things as they are. He's not "back," because he never "left."

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
That win by Carr -- he put the 165 field on notice! Yonger's loss isn't predictive of much, IMO. He's up and down like that. I think he'll be there when it matters. I don't understand why Coleman comes out flat sometimes. Schuyler is far and away most improved and a threat to all but the top 2-3, who simply have the natural speed and strength to outdo him. Everyone else performed within their range of expectations.

Swiderski is where any reasonable person would expect him to be as a true freshman in top-level D1 competition. Frankly, too many bought into early hype. I like to think the staff was more level headed--that they wrestling him not because they thought he'd be a 4x phenom, but because they had a team that could vie for hardware (pre injuries) and CS was the best option for team points. He'll win a couple at Nationals, but it's time to temper to see things as they are. He's not "back," because he never "left."
Honestly I’m just hoping he gets there. It’s not a guarantee.

Reactions: 4theheckofit

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Thoughts after a night to think about it:

Team - Wrestled tough in a majority of matches given the circumstances of running a gauntlet lately. I think the team is stronger for going through it. I think the quick turnaround played a factor to some extent, but not as much as others may seem. Yes it's lots of weigh ins in a short time, but it forces you to do all the right things. Your body stays fresh in a routine staying disciplined and not going and getting yourself in trouble with a massive cut later on. That's when poor performances really come into play, which we have seen earlier in the year at some weights. We didn't see gas tank issues last night. As others have mentioned this rest period will do the team good, especially at 84 and 97.

125 - Hindsight is 20/20, but my choice would have been Fuesly. He has proven all year he can wrestle in those tight matches with better competition like Cardinale. Perryman I feel is the future, but hasn't shown that dependability yet. I like the aggressiveness he brings, but he needs to understand the situation he's in. Over/unders with a pinner in a tight dual is not where you want to be. If everyone is honest with themselves, I don't think anyone was expecting a win at 125, we just needed to keep it close and I think Fuesely had a better chance of doing that.

133 - Wrestled a great first half of the match and then got sloppy. Been dinged on the cutback a few times this year and not sure why he continues to do it. You are leaving a judgement call up to the ref. Besides the cutback he got into dangerous spots on top and ultimately reversed. With a bigger lead need to switch into a 1, not 2 mentality and it looked like Dresser let him hear it at the end of his match.

141 - I'm still a big Casey fan, but his mat wrestling.....woof. As others have mentioned its time to take mat wrestling out of the equation with him and have it be a focus this off season. In all honesty he should have been dinged for stalling more than he was. It's hard to win matches when your starting basically down a point and turning it into a takedown competition.

149 - Loved the fight, but holy hips by Mauller. That man is tough to finish on. Yes you can say he stalled, but he was wrestling to his strategy. If it goes to the mat Mauller wins. That's the Paniro we need going into B12's.

165 - A+++. Unbelievable match, study and execution. Can't say enough great things about that match.

174 - Wrestled well second half of the match considering after the first I thought it was going to get ugly. Needs work on leg defense. Half the time it looks like he just gives it up. I think Mocco gassed himself and after Broderson went head hunting a couple times Mocco wisely decided he would take the decision.

184 - Wanted to see Marcus push for a MD, but I think he is battling that nagging knee injury. Some rest before B12's will do him good.

197 - Have not seen the same Yonger we are accustomed to seeing. Similar to Broderson opponents get to his leg too easy and it seems like he is comfortable there, but it's going to burn him at NCAA's being acceptable of being in that position.

HWT - Great match and season from Sammy this year. He has improved tremendously. He had a game plan coming in to use that front head snatch against Elam and work it into his offense. It looked to be opposite from Elam as he really had no strategy and just relied on being better than Sammy, which was not the case. I was nervous with Elam getting on top, but Sammy proved to be able to get out from under a good top HWT as well.

Last edited:

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

Team - Wrestled tough in a majority of matches given the circumstances of running a gauntlet lately. I think the team is stronger for going through it. I think the quick turnaround played a factor to some extent, but not as much as others may seem. Yes it's lots of weigh ins in a short time, but it forces you to do all the right things. Your body stays fresh in a routine staying disciplined and not going and getting yourself in trouble with a massive cut later on. That's when poor performances really come into play, which we have seen earlier in the year at some weights. We didn't see gas tank issues last night. As others have mentioned this rest period will do the team good, especially at 84 and 97.

125 - Hindsight is 20/20, but my choice would have been Fuesely. He has proven all year he can wrestle in those tight matches with better competition like Cardinale. Perryman I feel is the future, but hasn't shown that dependability yet. I like the aggressiveness he brings, but he needs to understand the situation he's in. Over/unders with a pinner in a tight dual is not where you want to be. If everyone is honest with themselves, I don't think anyone was expecting a win at 125, we just needed to keep it close and I think Fuesely had a better chance of doing that.

133 - Wrestled a great first half of the match and then got sloppy. Been dinged on the cutback a few times this year and not sure why he continues to do it. You are leaving a judgement call up to the ref. Besides the cutback he got into dangerous spots on top and ultimately reversed. With a bigger lead need to switch into a 1, not 2 mentality and it looked like Dresser let him hear it at the end of his match.

141 - I'm still a big Casey fan, but his mat wrestling.....woof. As others have mentioned its time to take mat wrestling out of the equation with him and have it be a focus this off season. In all honesty he should have been dinged for stalling more than he was. It's hard to win matches when your starting basically down a point and turning it into a takedown competition.

149 - Loved the fight, but holy hips by Mauller. That man is tough to finish on. Yes you can say he stalled, but he was wrestling to his strategy. If it goes to the mat Mauller wins. That's the Paniro we need going into B12's.

165 - A+++. Unbelievable match, study and execution. Can't say enough great things about that match.

174 - Wrestled well second half of the match considering after the first I thought it was going to get ugly. Needs work on leg defense. Half the time it looks like he just gives it up. I think Mocco gassed himself and after Broderson went head hunting a couple times Mocco wisely decided he would take the decision.

184 - Wanted to see Marcus push for a MD, but I think he is battling that nagging knee injury. Some rest before B12's will do him good.

197 - Have not seen the same Yonger we are accustomed to seeing. Similar to Broderson opponents get to his leg too easy and it seems like he is comfortable there, but it's going to burn him at NCAA's being acceptable of being in that position.

HWT - Great match and season from Sammy this year. He has improved tremendously. He had a game plan coming in to use that front head snatch against Elam and work it into his offense. It looked to be opposite from Elam as he really had no strategy and just relied on being better than Sammy, which was not the case. I was nervous with Elam getting on top, but Sammy proved to be able to get out from under a good top HWT as well.
Good analysis.

Thoughts on Kraisser? I’ve been happy with his efforts. Early this season I thought his style would get him pinned a few times but he has been more steady than I expected even in losses.

Reactions: Ocy Docy

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013

125 - Hindsight is 20/20, but my choice would have been Fuesly. He has proven all year he can wrestle in those tight matches with better competition like Cardinale. Perryman I feel is the future, but hasn't shown that dependability yet. I like the aggressiveness he brings, but he needs to understand the situation he's in. Over/unders with a pinner in a tight dual is not where you want to be. If everyone is honest with themselves, I don't think anyone was expecting a win at 125, we just needed to keep it close and I think Fuesely had a better chance of doing that.

In regards to 141 and CS "stalling"...I will scream this until it comes back...a parallel ride call HAS TO COME BACK. Sitting on a hip/leg/ankle while taking a few cross faces and wrist rides is not offense. Figure four the leg and double boots with no effort to turn is not offense. And while doing that, the bottom guy literally can not move or he's going to his back. I get dark rage spots in my eyes when I see the bottom guy get dinged for stalling the way the rule is now. It's a bullsh*t scenario and it HAS to change.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Double boots in an the bottom guy stuck on the mat is the worse. At least stale mate it. Not sure how a guy can get to his base with both legs gone

Reactions: 4theheckofit

PantherCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2017
Double boots in an the bottom guy stuck on the mat is the worse. At least stale mate it. Not sure how a guy can get to his base with both legs gone
I agree. That being said, I am a little bit surprised that we don't have any guys that throw legs in - especially when we need to ride in short time. If it is allowed, use it when it makes sense for the team.

Reactions: Ocy Docy