***#3 Iowa State at #14 Northern Iowa (Friday, 7:00)***

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Oh, I do live near UNI and it is very real. A good three-forths of the fanbase is this way.

However and what’s super interesting is that there are legit, true hardcore UNI fans. Several of my buddies are (some played for Farley). By and large, this section of the fanbase absolutely hates Iowa. They think similar to what we do about the Hawks. They don’t like ISU much either but when Iowa plays ISU, they are rooting for us.
I feel seen.

Reactions: JM4CY

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
How many times has UNI played Iowa in Football, MBB, WBB, etc in the past, 10 years?

They duck them like crazy.
We play them in WBB every year. Home and home.

VB happened to run into them at a tournament this year and it was the first time we'd played them in 7 years and 2nd time in 15 (mainly because Bobbi was absolutely kicking their ass).

Iowa hasn't wrestled up here since 2006 and that only happened because UNI paid them to be the first event in the McLeod Center. I believe we've seen them 4ish times since then one of those was at national duals.

Football has played 5 times in Farley's 22 years. Next scheduled game is 2026.

We all know what happened to MBB.

Iowa has decided that paying low majors is better than playing UNI in everything.

Reactions: Ocy Docy

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013

VB happened to run into them at a tournament this year and it was the first time we'd played them in 7 years and 2nd time in 15 (mainly because Bobbi was absolutely kicking their ass).

Iowa hasn't wrestled up here since 2006 and that only happened because UNI paid them to be the first event in the McLeod Center. I believe we've seen them 4ish times since then one of those was at national duals.

Iowa has decided that paying low majors is better than playing UNI in everything.
I was under the impression that Brands refused to wrestle Schwab to begin with because of their friendship but after he got UNI off the ground now he's just ducking like Iowa does. I dunno, maybe I'm just imagining it.

Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
Relax, it's going to be ok. Patience is a virtue.
What do I need to relax about? I just think a renovation and modernization of the Armory would be a much neater venue than anything we could build new. I like the history and nostalgia of using those old buildings. If they renovated it but made it look original with modern materials and technology it would be off the charts.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

I’m almost positive they wrestled in the west gym circa 2009 but I could be wrong. I didn’t go but remember taking a night grad class and seeing all the hawk fans walking toward the west gym.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
What do I need to relax about? I just think a renovation and modernization of the Armory would be a much neater venue than anything we could build new. I like the history and nostalgia of using those old buildings. If they renovated it but made it look original with modern materials and technology it would be off the charts.
The armory was in the plans for a tear down wasn't it?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’m almost positive they wrestled in the west gym circa 2009 but I could be wrong. I didn’t go but remember taking a night grad class and seeing all the hawk fans walking toward the west gym.
That'll teach me for going off memory. We've wrestled them three times in the McLeod Center but haven't at all since 2011. Also a reminder of how generally inept Brad Penrith was...

12/8/20112011-12AwayIowa City, IowaL 4 - 38
12/9/20102010-11HomeCedar Falls, IowaL 0 - 39
12/10/20092009-10AwayIowa City, IowaL 3 - 48
12/11/20082008-09HomeCedar Falls, IowaL 12 - 30
12/13/20072007-08AwayIowa City, IowaL 3 - 40
11/21/20062006-07HomeMcLeod CenterL 15 - 18
12/9/20042004-05HomeUNI-DomeL 13 - 23

Tigerguy_

Sep 26, 2020
Maybe, but I like the direction it's heading without the Armory.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
Maybe, but I like the direction it's heading without the Armory.

I like the direction that it is heading, but I really like the idea that CyLyte2 is putting forward. Combine some state of the art upgrades with some real nostalgic venue. How cool would that be? The location on campus is also great for access to most of the living accommodations. I don't know about parking at that location these days, and that could be an issue. For larger duals they would still have to use Hilton, but most volleyball events it would accommodate the crowd. Well, I can still dream.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
I like the direction that it is heading, but I really like the idea that CyLyte2 is putting forward. Combine some state of the art upgrades with some real nostalgic venue. How cool would that be? The location on campus is also great for access to most of the living accommodations. I don't know about parking at that location these days, and that could be an issue. For larger duals they would still have to use Hilton, but most volleyball events it would accommodate the crowd. Well, I can still dream.
The thing though is the armory is on the demolish/replace list

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
To be replaced by parking and green space.
Isn't a lot of that to do with it needing a lot of update/upkeep that it just doesn't make financial sense to do? I can't remember all of it I know there was a thread on here talking about that when all the plans got released.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The Armory idea, while cool in theory, needs to die. It’s just not ever happening.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Isn't a lot of that to do with it needing a lot of update/upkeep that it just doesn't make financial sense to do? I can't remember all of it I know there was a thread on here talking about that when all the plans got released.

It's one of the buildings marked as "Extensive Systems Replacements and Repairs Required", which is the lowest of 5 condition levels in the survey.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
STOP IT!! You are all just pissing on my dream. It doesn't matter if what you are saying is true, factual, etc. I don't want to put you all on ignore, but my cursor is hovering....

• Funny
Reactions: BirdOfWar