36,660 at Iowa State

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Another year of record enrollment at ISU.

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2016/09/08/2016-fall-enrollment

Growth is slowing down a bit, though; this is a 1.9% increase over last year, which is the smallest in a while.

Edit: Looks like this is the smallest enrollment increase by percentage since enrollment decreased in fall 2006. Starting in fall 2007, enrollment increased by at least 2% (including 7% growth in 2013) every year until now.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Another year of record enrollment at ISU.

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2016/09/08/2016-fall-enrollment

Growth is slowing down a bit, though; this is a 1.9% increase over last year, which is the smallest in a while.

Edit: Looks like this is the smallest enrollment increase by percentage since enrollment decreased in fall 2006. Starting in fall 2007, enrollment increased by at least 2% (including 7% growth in 2013) every year until now.
I would have to assume that the lack of on-campus student living currently, is making the enrollment services be more selective. I could be wrong though.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
“As we work to create a more diverse and inclusive campus, Iowa State is proud to remain the top choice for more Iowa students than any other school in the world, as well as record numbers of non-resident, U.S. multicultural and international students,” said Iowa State University President Steven Leath. “Now marking our eighth consecutive year of record enrollment, we are pleased to see more moderate growth this fall. True to our land-grant mission, Iowa State is accessible and affordable; but with lagging state funding, we want to be sure we are growing at a pace that allows us to maintain high quality.”

Nice shot at the BOR.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
UI enrollment is 33,334 this year for those who happen to be curious. Their president just said they want to "dial down" enrollment efforts and try to hold steady at that size in case you were wondering what the trends moving forward might be.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
UI enrollment is 33,334 this year for those who happen to be curious. Their president just said they want to "dial down" enrollment efforts and try to hold steady at that size in case you were wondering what the trends moving forward might be.
oh shoot, we're losing in enrollment to Iowa State again. Quick, what can we do to mask this problem? Let's just say we don't WANT any more students, that should work, right?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
“As we work to create a more diverse and inclusive campus, Iowa State is proud to remain the top choice for more Iowa students than any other school in the world, as well as record numbers of non-resident, U.S. multicultural and international students,” said Iowa State University President Steven Leath. “Now marking our eighth consecutive year of record enrollment, we are pleased to see more moderate growth this fall. True to our land-grant mission, Iowa State is accessible and affordable; but with lagging state funding, we want to be sure we are growing at a pace that allows us to maintain high quality.”

Nice shot at the BOR.
Looking at your Board of Regents, Iowa Legislator, University of Iowa.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This is where the Hawk trolls jump in and say that they are much more exclusive in their enrollment, therefore they don't take "everyone that applies, regardless of qualifications"...

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and aauummm

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
It was 27k when I started (2001). I cannot imagine it with 10k (33%) more...at least with "Quality of Life" measures, like space in library, intramurals, campus crowding, classrooms, etc.
http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/enrollment/university

I also had a few intro classes with non-engineering majors from the "if you graduate from an IA HS you are automatically in" students and woof...blank stares all around, every day. I get it is a "public uni" - but so is U Mich (28% vs our 87% acceptance) - ISU should raise standards to keep enrollment reasonable. Tighten criteria and heighten standards! Tighten and Heighten! New admissions motto!

But I am now an old curmudgeon, so whatever...

• Agree
Reactions: Dopey and Doc

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Even though it is at a slower pace, it is still great to see the state's Flagship University continue to grow.

I think we need to add some infrastructure before being able to grow much more. Once we do this I see us blowing through 40,000. The slowing Ag Economy will not help for the CALS, but I still see the other colleges making up for it.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Sure, thats why they are currently building a massive 1,000+ bed dormitory, with over 300 students living in dens this year, and increase of 1,184 students over last year (3.7% increase).

Mmbrooks

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2015
Montreal, QC
For all those who are saying that ISU needs to raise their admission standards the article says that average Freshman ACt was 25.14. That score is way above the national average. In addition it's not like Iowa State has lowered their admission standards over the past few years, more kids just want to go to ISU than in previous years. Growth is extremely good for the University. Period.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
It was 27k when I started (2001). I cannot imagine it with 10k (33%) more...at least with "Quality of Life" measures, like space in library, intramurals, campus crowding, classrooms, etc.
http://www.registrar.iastate.edu/enrollment/university

I also had a few intro classes with non-engineering majors from the "if you graduate from an IA HS you are automatically in" students and woof...blank stares all around, every day. I get it is a "public uni" - but so is U Mich (28% vs our 87% acceptance) - ISU should raise standards to keep enrollment reasonable. Tighten criteria and heighten standards! Tighten and Heighten! New admissions motto!

But I am now an old curmudgeon, so whatever...

I get your point and don't totally disagree but I think better resources for people who come in unprepared (sometimes it's their fault, sometimes through no fault of their own) is a better option. If you're not quite ready a smaller courseload and dedicated support as a freshman can get a lot of people on the right track. Maybe they have to make that up by taking summer classes later or adding an extra semester on the end. But I'd think the tradeoff is worth it vs. failing out after a semester or year.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan21 and jkclone

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
WRNL or Ragun should make some Flagship shirts for ISU. I think they would sell well to people that know the back story there.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
This is like the Vietnam boost of the 70s but hopefully they aren't projecting 50k like they did back then. I think there will be a correction across the country (us going back down to 25k) once all of us millennials start defaulting on our student loans :cool:

• Useful

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm curious where retention is at. My experience in education is a drop between fall and spring semesters, and another between freshman class size and sophomore.

If there are big deltas there (now what constitutes "big" would likely be comparative to other universities of the same caliber, size, etc.), then the argument can be made on raising standards.

I'm just amazed at how Iowa State has grown.

Reactions: Cytasticlone

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This is like the Vietnam boost of the 70s but hopefully they aren't projecting 50k like they did back then. I think there will be a correction across the country (us going back down to 25k) once all of us millennials start defaulting on our student loans :cool:
I didn't think you millennials even started paying your student loans.