36,660 at Iowa State

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
Another year of record enrollment at ISU.

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2016/09/08/2016-fall-enrollment

Growth is slowing down a bit, though; this is a 1.9% increase over last year, which is the smallest in a while.

Edit: Looks like this is the smallest enrollment increase by percentage since enrollment decreased in fall 2006. Starting in fall 2007, enrollment increased by at least 2% (including 7% growth in 2013) every year until now.

Are any of them named Cameron Lard?

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
While this is good we definitely need to slow down. We are way behind with keeping up with infrastructure.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
While this is good we definitely need to slow down. We are way behind with keeping up with infrastructure.
It's not terribly far behind. Just finished redoing Marston Hall, they knocked down another trashy building recently and are in progress of adding another class hall in its place, they are still actively adding on to Buchanan Hall(s) for more dorms... It's a work in progress.

canker2323

Oct 22, 2006
What Cheer, IA
I get it is a "public uni" - but so is U Mich (28% vs our 87% acceptance) - ISU should raise standards to keep enrollment reasonable. Tighten criteria and heighten standards! Tighten and Heighten! New admissions motto!

But I am now an old curmudgeon, so whatever...

Michigan (and Illinois, and Texas and UCLA, etc..) can be more selective when they have WAY more kids applying.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
“As we work to create a more diverse and inclusive campus, Iowa State is proud to remain the top choice for more Iowa students than any other school in the world, as well as record numbers of non-resident, U.S. multicultural and international students,” said Iowa State University President Steven Leath. “Now marking our eighth consecutive year of record enrollment, we are pleased to see more moderate growth this fall. True to our land-grant mission, Iowa State is accessible and affordable; but with lagging state funding, we want to be sure we are growing at a pace that allows us to maintain high quality.”

Nice shot at the BOR.

I thought the BOR approved a payment model that allocated money based on Iowa student enrollment at the universities. It was the state legislature that did not approve of the BOR's request for a change in funding model.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I thought the BOR approved a payment model that allocated money based on Iowa student enrollment at the universities. It was the state legislature that did not approve of the BOR's request for a change in funding model.

Link to who voted for what? I'd like to know who I should vote for in the state legislature.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Link to who voted for what? I'd like to know who I should vote for in the state legislature.

Probably a bad source, but I got that from another person/thread here on cyclonefanatic. There was a post in it where a member here had posted their e-mail/letter to their representative on the matter and didn't like the response they got back.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
This is where the Hawk trolls jump in and say that they are much more exclusive in their enrollment, therefore they don't take "everyone that applies, regardless of qualifications"...

Yup. Need to find the link to the article that called Iowa the "Walmart of the Big Ten".

• Funny
Reactions: cyfan21

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
UI enrollment is 33,334 this year for those who happen to be curious. Their president just said they want to "dial down" enrollment efforts and try to hold steady at that size in case you were wondering what the trends moving forward might be.
Whar Lard?

Reactions: HoopsTournament

LutherBlue

Oct 19, 2006
If you don't want the people who voted down performance-based funding then you won't be voting for ISU's own Jack Whitver.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
If you don't want the people who voted down performance-based funding then you won't be voting for ISU's own Jack Whitver.
I wouldn't vote for somebody because they went to ISU, anyway. Unless it was a tiebreaker.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014

I don't have a dog in this fight (because I'm not an Iowa resident), but are you saying it's okay to vote for someone just because they attended ISU? And to vote against them is questionable because it's a vote against an ISU alum? Seems about the equivalent of people voting for Hillary "because she's a woman" or Obama in '08 and '12 "because he's black" without actually evaluating their records or viewpoints.

And if I misinterpreted your post, or it was a joke...shame on me :)

• Funny

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Hopefully they stay at a slower pace for a bit. I've been told by somebody who is in the know the growth has been a BoR push which was happening back when Geoffrey was President. At some point, they'll have to stop growing or build a lot of infrastructure really quickly.