***#7 Iowa State at #3 Oklahoma State (Sunday, 2:00)***

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Didn’t realize that.

Younger sister is a student at UNI and is going, she mentioned West Gym so I assumed it was there.

Decided on McLeod for attendance purposes or?

west gym has some structural issues that the AD there hasn’t put the money into fixing. So it’s not safe for hosting events

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
west gym has some structural issues that the AD there hasn’t put the money into fixing. So it’s not safe for hosting events
I know they’ve had a few duals there and plan to have some more.

I’d imagine they expect greater attendance for ISU and Wisconsin duals so that makes sense.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

That’s a bit of a stretch. Sounds like everything is structurally safe but there are parts of the balcony that don’t meet code and need to be updated. I think they’ve hosted events in the West Gym but there is a capacity restriction because they can’t use the balcony.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That’s a bit of a stretch. Sounds like everything is structurally safe but there are parts of the balcony that don’t meet code and need to be updated. I think they’ve hosted events in the West Gym but there is a capacity restriction because they can’t use the balcony.
this. The AD doesn’t want to use the west gym anymore though. That’s definitely has heat to it.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I attended duals in west gym in early 2000s; it’s a great environment for wrestling.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85 and JM4CY

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

From the link in post #341

Looking to be proactive, UNI is assessing campus structures for long-term feasibility. The West Gym was evaluated due to its age, and while structurally safe, the balcony level was identified as needing modifications to meet building codes regarding the railings and other areas as required by the state of Iowa.

Therefore, the opening four home duals for the 2021
-22 season will be held in the West Gym, but seating will be limited to the lower level and available only to those who have already purchased season tickets for this season. The final two meets will be held in the McLeod Center.

UNI is evaluating the use of the McLeod Center for future seasons to accommodate the Panthers' growing fan base and further boost support for the wrestling program. The McLeod Center is not available for the first four duals of the season.

CycloneFan97

Jun 19, 2017
Is it bad I kinda wish Iowa State had a wrestling facility like West Gym? I've never been there but I've heard that environment is just insane when it comes to wrestling, and I think Iowa State could take it to another level

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Is it bad I kinda wish Iowa State had a wrestling facility like West Gym? I've never been there but I've heard that environment is just insane when it comes to wrestling, and I think Iowa State could take it to another level
Something smaller than Hilton but would want it bigger than West gym. Thinking west gym is like 2200.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
From the link in post #341

Looking to be proactive, UNI is assessing campus structures for long-term feasibility. The West Gym was evaluated due to its age, and while structurally safe, the balcony level was identified as needing modifications to meet building codes regarding the railings and other areas as required by the state of Iowa.

Therefore, the opening four home duals for the 2021
-22 season will be held in the West Gym, but seating will be limited to the lower level and available only to those who have already purchased season tickets for this season. The final two meets will be held in the McLeod Center.

UNI is evaluating the use of the McLeod Center for future seasons to accommodate the Panthers' growing fan base and further boost support for the wrestling program. The McLeod Center is not available for the first four duals of the season.
This explanation is appreciated.
Thank you

Reactions: farm85

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

I've always said if I hit the Powerball I'd put a good chunk of money toward fixing up all the Iowa State Center facilities and then building a "mini Hilton" for wrestling, VB, gymnastics etc. I hope someday to get back to the point where we're filling Hilton up, but until then wrestling should be held in a smaller venue where the crowd can make a difference.

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
I've always said if I hit the Powerball I'd put a good chunk of money toward fixing up all the Iowa State Center facilities and then building a "mini Hilton" for wrestling, VB, gymnastics etc. I hope someday to get back to the point where we're filling Hilton up, but until then wrestling should be held in a smaller venue where the crowd can make a difference.
Agreed

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
I hope you win!