***#8 Iowa State vs. #5 Baylor (Monday, 6:00)***

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The Matchup: No. 8 Iowa State (24-4, 13-3 Big 12) vs. No. 5 Baylor (23-5, 13-3 Big 12)
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (14,267)
When: Monday, Feb. 28, 6 p.m.

Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Varsity Radio App
Talent: Noah Wolf (PxP), Jamie Steyer Johnson (Analyst)

TV: ESPN2
Talent: Pam Ward (PxP), Stephanie White (Analyst)

Tickets: $5 GA

Promotion: GOLD RULES

No. 9 Iowa State will look to clinch a share of the Big 12 regular season title when it takes on No. 5 Baylor on Monday, Feb. 28. The Cyclones are looking for their first conference regular season title since 1999-00, when the Cyclones shared with Texas Tech and Oklahoma with a 13-3 conference record.

Iowa State preview | Baylor preview

Last edited:

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
As we’ve seen several times this season (LSU, UTx2), the bigger and stronger Bears bullied us in Waco. We shot poorly and they out rebounded us by double digits. ISU needs to move the ball around and hit our threes, while limiting Baylor’s second chance opportunities. I think the large crowd will carry our gals to victory! Go State!

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Bump. This team has been fun to watch and they’ve got a chance to do something huge. The $5 ticket deal should really draw some interest. Hope Hilton is packed!

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I have tickets!

I'm brining my 8th grader who thinks he wants to be a science teacher or engineer to his first experience of Hilton Magic!

And... I haven't been in Hilton for a basketball game in ... close to 10 years?! (Don't judge!)

Can. Not. Wait. Clone Cone - here we come!
Important things first, right? ;)

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I honestly believe this team can play their B+ game and win. Here's hoping they bring their A game and it's never in doubt. So excited to be in Hilton tonight. Go Cyclones!
Against a team like Baylor or Texas they need their A game plain and simple. These type of teams are matchup nightmares so we need to play top notch OR have Baylor have an off night. Just the truth.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
So, the big question…what do the ladies need to do in order to beat Baylor? I missed the first game…

If the officials call games like they did in Waco, Austin, and Baton Rouge I'm not sure this is much we can do. Iowa State just is a finesse team, they don't stand a chance when they let teams be that physical.

TrulyCyclone

Jul 31, 2021
Against a team like Baylor or Texas they need their A game plain and simple. These type of teams are matchup nightmares so we need to play top notch OR have Baylor have an off night. Just the truth.
We have played 1 game within 10 points in Big 12 play. If you take out the fluke week with covid issues, and the refs allowing a wrestling match to break out on the basketball court at Texas, this team has been incredibly good. There is no reason to say certain things have to go perfect for us to have a chance. If a wrestling match breaks out, we are in trouble. But short of that this team can ho hum their way to a victory, or play perfect and dominate. I believe, and we all should this far into the season.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It wasn’t all that long ago when we beat the B1G champs and their coach and players complained about how physical we were. Let’s match that energy tonight. I have full confidence this team can pull out a W tonight.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and GT25Ump

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
We have played 1 game within 10 points in Big 12 play. If you take out the fluke week with covid issues, and the refs allowing a wrestling match to break out on the basketball court at Texas, this team has been incredibly good. There is no reason to say certain things have to go perfect for us to have a chance. If a wrestling match breaks out, we are in trouble. But short of that this team can ho hum their way to a victory, or play perfect and dominate. I believe, and we all should this far into the season.
We will agree to disagree. Wrestling match or not, and whether we agree on how they should call a game, so far the officials have allowed this style of defense when we have played Texas twice and Baylor.

Also the COVID excuse would hold more weight if we didn’t get absolutely trashed by both Texas and Baylor that week and then got it backed up by getting beat even worse with no COVID issues when we played Texas again.

I do think we match up a bit better with Baylor but you are kidding yourself if you think we can play a B game without having Baylor play below their average.

I hope our girls win and will be cheering like hell for them but I am also an honest fan. It’s no surprise the games we have lost have all been to the exact same type of team (big, long and physical). That’s not a coincidence.

Reactions: GT25Ump

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Someone needs to go to every youth club in the Ames/DSM are and give away tickets. Be on the phones to every girls team that didn’t make the state tourney. Stand on e stres ad give tickets away. Get it sold out. If the Hawks can get a sellout by offering boxed wine coupons at HyVee then we can surely do it.

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
1. We have to match their physicality whether the refs intervene or not.
2. We have to push the ball at least a few times. Force them to turn their backs away from the ball. Walking it up the floor over and over allows Baylor to set their defense.
3. We have to make threes and that requires more ball movement via the pass AND sharing the ball more. Ignoring some of the open shooters won't cut it.

JMO

• Winner
Reactions: jctisu

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013
4. NaLyssa Smith is probably going to get her 25-30. Hold the other 4-5 to 30 or less and we have a decent shot at winning.