80 New Club Section Seats Left

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
It's not an NCAA rule. It's a rule from the colleges themselves. I drink beer in the suites. We have a little fridge stocked before everygame and refreshed when it get's low. They just want to keep it out of reach of the students due to liability issues.

Example.

If a student get's drunk at the game inside the gates. Then kills someone in a car wreck and that student is not legal to drink and he has been drinking inside the stadium. Jack Trice Stadium my become "insert dead kids parents name" stadium. Liability issues

nickwc

Mar 27, 2007
Denver, CO
It's not an NCAA rule. It's a rule from the colleges themselves. I drink beer in the suites. We have a little fridge stocked before everygame and refreshed when it get's low. They just want to keep it out of reach of the students due to liability issues.

Example.

If a student get's drunk at the game inside the gates. Then kills someone in a car wreck and that student is not legal to drink and he has been drinking inside the stadium. Jack Trice Stadium my become "insert dead kids parents name" stadium. Liability issues

can you say the same thing about drinking outside the stadium?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA

Example.

So places like Colorado State are just taking a legal risk? I don't buy it. They must have some protection from that risk. I would think that when you buy a ticket, there would be a disclaimer that frees ISU of practically everything that could happen while at the stadium. Use at your own risk.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
NFL teams have been sued when drunk drivers kill somebody leaving the stadium so now they try to avoid that by limiting the number you can buy at once and cutting off sales at halftime, etc., but they're still taking that risk that a judge will rule against them. Obviously there are ways to get around all those rules.

As concerned as people are about alcohol abuse among students selling alcohol at the stadium will never happen here.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
As tragic as it was - I have little doubt that some lawyer somewhere was trying to figure out a way to sue ISU and even iowa for the deaths of those kids at this year's game.

And I'm fairly sure it's an Iowa Board of Regents rule - not ISU, UNI or iowa

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
I think it is a self-imposed ISU rule, as far as not wanting to sell alcohol at its varsity sporting events. Not worth the hassle. Although if JP is going to lock everyone into the stadium (i.e. you can't leave and come back in), he may want to revist that.. A captive audience that would have no problem buying beers... NOTE: Jamie when you start this and charge $5-$7/beer, I want a cut since its my idea (on the high priced beers).

DMBclone

Nov 27, 2006
Kansas City, MO
Not that its a big deal to me, i stay at halftime to support the marching band. But, do a lot of universities now not let people out of the stadium and let them back in at halftime. ISU is going change that, when I was in high school EIU would let you. Does EIU not anymore?

ornryactor

Jun 3, 2006
Ames
Not that its a big deal to me, i stay at halftime to support the marching band. But, do a lot of universities now not let people out of the stadium and let them back in at halftime. ISU is going change that, when I was in high school EIU would let you. Does EIU not anymore?
You, sir, are awesome. We need to use you as a role model for those bozos in the stands who would rather wait in line for 30 minutes than watch the band.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I will be happy when I can even consider the $14k commitment to get 2 of these seats!
Wheres that powerball ticket?

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Based on our history with alcohol-fueled mayhem I think the university is probably interested in maintaining some level of composure. I can't say I blame them.

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
I will be happy when I can even consider the $14k commitment to get 2 of these seats!
Wheres that powerball ticket?

Actually, wouldn't that be $24k for 2 seats for 3 years? I assume the $5k donation is required every year too.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
You, sir, are awesome. We need to use you as a role model for those bozos in the stands who would rather wait in line for 30 minutes than watch the band.

As one of those bozos, I take offense to that. hehe.

If there are 462 of these seats sold as it says in the article, that is a pretty big windfall for the athletic department. It's about 3 million between the required donations and the ticket prices. I'd be about 3.5 million if all of them get sold.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Actually, wouldn't that be $24k for 2 seats for 3 years? I assume the $5k donation is required every year too.

You're not helping!!

:wideeyed:

Oh well, it was already not affordable so its really not any worse! One powerball winner will cover it still!

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
I do believe in 2008 you will not be able to leave at half time and return.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
can you say the same thing about drinking outside the stadium?

Iowa State is not selling the drinks outside the stadium. That liability falls on the store owners that sell the alchohol.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I'd like to see them sell alcohol in JT. Here's how I would do it: First, if you're selling alcohol, no re-entry once you leave. Second, have a stand set up to hand out wrist-bands with a cop to check ID's. Third, limit the amount sold to two beers per person in line. Fourth, stop selling beer at halftime.

I think that this would definitely help ISU's budget. And people wouldn't want to leave if they sold beer. Of course, they would have to use some of that money to pay more cops.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I do believe in 2008 you will not be able to leave at half time and return.

I don't think that you are right. If I remember right, the issue was about the number of bathrooms available. Once that was taken care of, re-entry was going to be ended. BUT, this year at least on the East side, there will be LESS bathrooms available. I think we're a few years off from ending re-entry, although I could see it limited to just one gate.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I don't think that you are right. If I remember right, the issue was about the number of bathrooms available. Once that was taken care of, re-entry was going to be ended. BUT, this year at least on the East side, there will be LESS bathrooms available. I think we're a few years off from ending re-entry, although I could see it limited to just one gate.

We went over this in another thread. You will not be allowed re-entry next year.

Help Support Us

Become a patron