A couple things the coaches should clean up

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
If the QB was sliding that was the worst slide I've ever seen. I thought he was stumbling down and Peavy went in to finish the play. I have no problem with Peavy hitting him.

You make that hit every single time. I get the penalty but it was NOT a no-brainer for the refs. Would think that gets called at a small percentage over the course of the season.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
For the 27th time . . .

The penalty against Peavy was called because he initiated contact against a ball carrier using his shoulder into the runner's helmet. Whether or not he did it on purpose is irrelevant.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...ulebook-helmet-crown-head-to-head-defenseless

In college football, these things are targeting fouls, per the NCAA’s rulebook:

1. Making “forcible contact against an opponent with the helmet crown,” or the top of the tackler’s head.
  2. Making “forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.”
A targeting foul is an auto-ejection, and if it occurs in the second half, it includes a suspension for the first half of the following game.

A “defenseless opponent” includes, but isn’t limited to, a player:
  • in the act of, or having just thrown, a pass
  • who’s catching a pass or kick (or trying to) and hasn’t had time to become a “ball carrier.”
  • who’s in the act of kicking, or has just kicked
  • on the ground, or a player out of the play
  • who gets blind-side blocked
  • who has the ball and has had his forward progress stopped
  • who has the ball and is sliding or given himself up

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Thursday was a complete failure of scheme and play calling on offense. Coupled with terrible game management and pocket presence by Park. After that game I don't care if Park ever rolls out of pocket again. His high release problems are only amplified when he is on the run. He doesn't square his shoulders, step through, and drive the football. Instead he stands up straight, jumps, and releases way above needed release timing resulting in 3 ints, and a QBR of 18.1.

Jacob is a fiery competitor so I do think he can handle the harsh criticism. He will probably be harder on himself than any of us are, the person I do worry bout is Manning. That was a really awful display of inexperience. It was probably worse than 75% of Messingham's games which is really saying something.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
the person I do worry bout is Manning. That was a really awful display of inexperience. It was probably worse than 75% of Messingham's games which is really saying something.
Rewatching now and it's as bad as you say. Hopefully it was just an off night.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
For the 27th time . . .

The penalty against Peavy was called because he initiated contact against a ball carrier using his shoulder into the runner's helmet. Whether or not he did it on purpose is irrelevant. Whether the ball carrier slid or not is irrelevant. At all levels (youth, high school, college, and pro) the authorities are trying to eliminate ANY hit into the helmet area with helmet, arm, fist, or shoulder, etc. Is that fair? Is that right? Feel free to debate that, but it's here to stay like it or not. It's an attempt to save the game (that can be discussed elsewhere) that will take a full generation of players coming up through high school to really change how tackling is done.

Did the officials make a mistake on that play? Yes. The mistake was what they called it. They called it a late hit. They should have called it helmet contact or targeting and likely ejected Peavy. That would have been more consistent (but likely have led to more complaining).

So if you want to complain, that's legit, but realize that your complaint if validated would have led to our player likely being ejected.

Why did the officials announce it as a late hit instead of targeting? Either just plain a miscommunication between the covering official and the referee, or (more likely) the covering official wasn't sure at live game speed if the ball carrier was sliding or not, so he chose the "less severe" penalty as he didn't want to eject Peavy.

I need to take back a portion of what I said. At the high school level, any hit to the head with a helmet, forearm, shoulder, etc. is a penalty regardless of whether the runner has given himself up or not. In college, it's a bit different and it seems that the runner has to have "given himself up" and therefore be defenseless for a hit with a non-helmet body part to be a foul. So ... my bad. I was wrong.

Regardless, it's clear the NCAA doesn't want to see helmets being hit, and the rules even say if in doubt, it's a penalty... I predict within 2-3 years it will be worded even more harshly and any blow to the helmet at any time will be a foul.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
One of the things bugging me this year that I haven't seen discussed yet.....

Why do we make no attempt to return punts? Ryen is a great punt returner, but we just let the opposing team get through and make no attempt to even get down the field to block. Very weird.

I figure it's because that S.O.B. was booming punts 60 yards with a hang time of 25 seconds!
vauEUgn.gif

wclarson

Oct 31, 2010
Ames, IA
I can't bring myself to watch that game again. Like watching a guy pound his head against a door trying to break his way through.
Do it! I found a lot more positives from watching it the second time. I picked up a lot more of the defensive adjustments made in the second half that was really promising. Its still pretty frustrating watching the offensive play calling but call me crazy, even the logo looked a little better the second watch.

• Winner
Reactions: tazclone

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Thursday was a complete failure of scheme and play calling on offense. Coupled with terrible game management and pocket presence by Park. After that game I don't care if Park ever rolls out of pocket again. His high release problems are only amplified when he is on the run. He doesn't square his shoulders, step through, and drive the football. Instead he stands up straight, jumps, and releases way above needed release timing resulting in 3 ints, and a QBR of 18.1.

Jacob is a fiery competitor so I do think he can handle the harsh criticism. He will probably be harder on himself than any of us are, the person I do worry bout is Manning. That was a really awful display of inexperience. It was probably worse than 75% of Messingham's games which is really saying something.
Akron disagrees

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
One of the things bugging me this year that I haven't seen discussed yet.....

Why do we make no attempt to return punts? Ryen is a great punt returner, but we just let the opposing team get through and make no attempt to even get down the field to block. Very weird.
Agree. Our return games this year have been HORRIFIC! Piss poor blocking

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Yes well as you know Akron is not Texas and if we have to base our success off MAC teams then this point finishes itself.
Just saying his throw on the run against Akron was damn good. Doens't matter who the opponent was. He has made other good throws on the run as well

He had a very bad night against Texas. A bad night in the pocket, a bad night on the run. Heck, two of his INTs were standing int he pocket.

So if we are basing his abilities strictly on the Texas performance then he shouldn't throw from the pocket or on the run.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FDCy83

May 15, 2008
I think if the call on Peavey is legitimate, then perhaps we should train all of our ball carriers to start going down before the second player makes contact during a tackle to get the extra 15 yards and automatic first down. But I am certain that after the first 2 or 3 times, the refs will bury the flag so deep in the pocket it would not get called for us again.

Reactions: FOREVERTRUE

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I think if the call on Peavey is legitimate, then perhaps we should train all of our ball carriers to start going down before the second player makes contact during a tackle to get the extra 15 yards and automatic first down. But I am certain that after the first 2 or 3 times, the refs will bury the flag so deep in the pocket it would not get called for us again.
It was the correct call.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron