A very unique request to help someone out that deserves it

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
I am going to lay the facts out there and then hope that someone can help me. My sister has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. She has a limited amount of time left, best guess is approximately 2 months. I was able to purchase 4 tickets to surprise her to the game this weekend. The tickets are in the Jacobsen Building Suites. This will allow her to not have to tackle the hill and steps that "regular" seats involve. The entire experience is to be a surprise for her, her husband, and the 2 people they pick to join them. I have seats for the UNI game in section 20 and I am perfectly happy with them and a parking pass in S4 for the game. I am looking for anyone that I can buy/trade whatever to get them a pass as close as humanly possible to the Jacobsen Building. Walking is a huge issue for her at this point, but otherwise is in decent condition. At this point, I can give her the S4 pass, but that is a long way end to end for her to get. I have an email into the ISU athletic dept. as well to see if they might be able to help as well.
I am not after a freebie, just someone that might be able to help me out. Thanks to all for your consideration of my request.

Reactions: alarson

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
If nothing else, I'm sure the AD could send a golf cart to pick her up and take her where she needs to be.
Good luck!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
If she has a valid Handicap Hangtag:

Handicap parking
Patrons with state-issued handicap permits can park (on a first-come, first-served basis) in Lot S2 ($20 per game) for football

I'd bet the AD could help her further from there (golf cart?)

SvrWxCy

Aug 6, 2010
Kansas
www.recruitlists.com
I would think the Athletic department could provide them with some sort of solution to let them be closer with parking. Does she have a 'handicap' pass to help her with her daily routine since walking is such an issue with her? I would think that there would be handicap spots closer to the Jacobson building that she could take advantage of.

I also wish you and your family (especially your sister) have a great time and enjoy all of the time that you guys have together!

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
Cyclonedave hit it out of the park with a golf cart suggestion, I was going to simply ask whether she had a wheelchair already. Sorry for your sister-- I am sure that being close to her family and friends these last precious months will be the most meaningful times of her life.

My Wife lost her brother in a car crash and never got to say goodbye. When I die, I hope it will be surrounded by the people I love- I hope the best for your family.

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Thanks to all of you with suggestions. She does not have a handicap tag, because she no longer drives and her husband or someone just drops her off close to a door and then parks himself. As far as the wheelchair thing, she does have one, but the pride factor to this point as not led her to use it much. Thank you again. I know those solutions would make it easier, but since they do not have the handicap permit and I want this to be a total surprise, I am still shooting for a pass close or try the golf cart thing if need be. Again I am MORE than willing to pay for a pass if need be or trade my pass and cash or whatever. Just trying to make it a complete experience for her.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The AD has people hired to run golf carts. I knew a girl who did that job...she drove around and picked up old people or handicapped people and drove them into the stadium. I am absolutely certain that the AD would work with you on this. I'd just email Pollard and he would forward you to the right person. In fact, they'd probably issue you a pass in the handicap or media lot if you need one.

pyrocyz

Jun 2, 2006
Ames
If I wasn't in G7 I would be giving you my parking pass without hesitation.

Hope that you can find one.

Max57

Dec 18, 2008
Somewhere on Hwy 30
My late wife was in exactly the same situation in 2009. Just call the athletic ticket office and ask them for help. They were absolutely fantastic in helping us. There are specific lots designated as handicapped (S4? was where we parked.) But you should look at a different lot since she'll be on the north side.

I'd suggest getting a handicapped tag and wheel chair ... it's worth it. The pride thing should be left behind.

PM me if you have other questions ... or if your brother-in-law has questions. One hint right now ... he should seek an FMLA absence (if possible) and spend as much time with her as possible.

Our last game together was Army v ISU. It was a beautiful night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclonestate78

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

yCy

Apr 12, 2006
What a nice thing you are doing for your sister and her husband. I would suggest contacting the AD office. I've heard they can be very helpful. Contacting Jamie was another good idea. I hope you all have a great day!

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
A quick bump for any of you that have an account over on CR, would you please post there as well?
Thank you
I have email into athletic dept. as well.

Last edited:

lakeliving

Apr 11, 2006
Anyone? Willing to trade pass in S4 and cash to make it work. I gave them the tickets last night and they were absolutely thrilled, the smiles were priceless! Now, I am to the begging point if that is what it takes to complete this deal.
Thanks