Abysmal from bottom

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
While I am disappointed by the performance of the team in general (we all should be), I try to stay positive. Yet I cannot hide my frustration at how hopeless our guys are from the bottom position. I know many are young, but even our most seasoned wrestlers struggle beyond reason to escape. Can anyone explain it? Even if you grant KJ a mulligan due to his freestyle credentials, its hard to swallow.

Reactions: CyBobby

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
We can't put a full 7 minutes together. We are strong in the 3rd, but always trying to catch up. Close losses aren't going to get these guys into the NCAAs.

Also if Boaz falters tomorrow, we need to let Lelund be a true 184 pounder and quit weighing in at 175.

So close in so many matches and so damn frustrated

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Tonight was one of those nights where I just wanted to lash out and scream. So dang close in so many matches only to end up faulting at the last second or as buf mentioned trying to play catch up. I want heck everyone I think wants to see these guys go full out 7 minutes................I just dont' know what else to say, frustrating.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
Love Boaz and he has put in the effort, but it's time to let Lelund be the guy, that's all I'll say for tonight. Maybe give myself some sleep to ponder on it

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
If we don't get aggressive, many of our guys are going to be watching the NCAA and not wrestling there.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Worst performance of the season. Where is the team that wrestled the first day of the Scuffle? I liked that team.

Clonedad

Nov 11, 2012
Most of us stated in the beginning that we had 4 big losses coming to us and that we needed to win as many of the other duals as possible and all of the remaining was a doable goal.
right now that is what we are doing. It seems that several of you posters are becoming like a nagging wife that only see the negative. Now don't get me wrong, that was hard to look at tonite and their needs to be some changes.
quoting the former NFL coach Denny Greene " They are what we thought they were "

with tho that said here are what I think the key weights of concern:
133/ we will not get anyone in.
141/ he is at the wrong weight for him and even if he gets in, he will not get any point for us.
157/ this is one of my favorite weights but I don't think we will get anyone in at this weight. JN body has been worn out before we got him and even though he is full of heart, pride and toughness he can only give us so much and that well is running low. - LM is not doing well at this weight, it seems that everything in his body wants to be at 165, he looks like dog crap at 157. With that being said, we are not getting anyone in.
heavy/ it is possible but I doubt it.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Most of us stated in the beginning that we had 4 big losses coming to us and that we needed to win as many of the other duals as possible and all of the remaining was a doable goal.
right now that is what we are doing. It seems that several of you posters are becoming like a nagging wife that only see the negative. Now don't get me wrong, that was hard to look at tonite and their needs to be some changes.
quoting the former NFL coach Denny Greene " They are what we thought they were "

I knew last night was going to be bad and the overall meet score was about what I expected it to be. What I didn't expect was for us to lose two matches in the closing seconds of overtime, have guys get rode out for entire periods, and for Kyven to need a takedown in the last :30 seconds to beat a backup 174 pounder. It wasn't that we lost. It was how we lost.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Other than Kyven, none of the individual matches were anything to be ashamed of, and there were some bright spots. Tanner had his closest match ever against Perry and got some offense going against him for the first time, Lelund took a ranked guy at 184 to OT on the strength of a last second takedown to tie it up while weighing in at 174, Hall almost avenged a 1-9 loss, and Shayden had the mat awareness at the end of a long match to take an intentional stalling point to avoid giving up a team point. Taken in isolation each match wasn't that bad. It was just the sum of all the matches that was bad. This wasn't a "hit the eject button on the season" performance. But if it isn't a wake up call to the team then things aren't going to go well the rest of the season. Especially since UNI is surging and we're going to need everybody in top form to get a win in Cedar Falls.

Last edited:

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I guess it is not that much different than I thought, It is that we couldn't pull out the wins after we came from behind. Good to see Goettl, Hall, Weatherman close the gap. I am more frustrated that we could get a victory from Hall or Lelund after a strong 3rd only to lose in OT. I don't understand Kyven keeping it that close with a backup 174 pounder.

Right now we may only get 4 or 5 guys to Nationals and we are better than that

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Although the results are frustrating, it seems like a really good sign that we took some good wrestlers to the wire. It's the building on this result that is most important, something that doesn't always happen. Gadson's match is puzzling, however, but I didn't see any of the matches.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I did not see any matches either. Probably following UNI last night and hearing about all of their come from behind wins and we came from behind in a lot of matches and lost. That probably increased my frustration, because I know this team is better than the results

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I did not see any matches either. Probably following UNI last night and hearing about all of their come from behind wins and we came from behind in a lot of matches and lost. That probably increased my frustration, because I know this team is better than the results

It is frustrating, almost more so because they were close in a number of matches. This really doesn't address the original point about being poor on the bottom, which may be the bigger issue, I don't know.

I just hope these types of close matches turn into wins in the next couple months.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
quoting the former NFL coach Denny Greene " They are what we thought they were

with tho that said here are what I think the key weights of concern:
133/ we will not get anyone in.
141/ he is at the wrong weight for him and even if he gets in, he will not get any point for us.
157/ this is one of my favorite weights but I don't think we will get anyone in at this weight. JN body has been worn out before we got him and even though he is full of heart, pride and toughness he can only give us so much and that well is running low. - LM is not doing well at this weight, it seems that everything in his body wants to be at 165, he looks like dog crap at 157. With that being said, we are not getting anyone in.
heavy/ it is possible but I doubt it.

Perspective is a tough tough thing for people to retain when they don't want to have it. Still absolutely need to improve our ability on the bottom, and get out from under. BUT I didn't think last night was an effort issue anywhere, so I cannot complain about about our guys too much as this wasn't nearly as bad of a meet to watch as I was fearing before it started. In we nearly every weight, we looked like we belonged on the same mat with them.

You sir did a great job with this post. In fact, it should probably be a sticky at the top of the wrestling forum. Mods would do well to put it there.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Mikem - were you at the meet?

No sir, I was actually in cedar falls last night watching that performance, how UNI is wrestling is scary to say the least.

I watched the video this morning on the osu network.

Look, I am as frustrated as everyone else is, but I also have watched meets the last three years where we didn't belong on the same mat in 7 or 8 weights. We are really down to just 3, with current viable solutions at 2 of them.

I thought the effort was fine, you may disagree and that's cool I know you aren't one of those wrestling fans that have made these boards so miserable the last 3 or 4 years.

Now, I don't think we beat UNI the 8th, and that will be the day to not read any wrestling forums. They are wrestling too well right now. With the bonus points they can generate, I really think they can finish in the top 7 at nationals. We will probably finish behind them.

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
No sir, I was actually in cedar falls last night watching that performance, how UNI is wrestling is scary to say the least.

I watched the video this morning on the osu network.

Look, I am as frustrated as everyone else is, but I also have watched meets the last three years where we didn't belong on the same mat in 7 or 8 weights. We are really down to just 3, with current viable solutions at 2 of them.

I thought the effort was fine, you may disagree and that's cool I know you aren't one of those wrestling fans that have made these boards so miserable the last 3 or 4 years.

Now, I don't think we beat UNI the 8th, and that will be the day to not read any wrestling forums. They are wrestling too well right now. With the bonus points they can generate, I really think they can finish in the top 7 at nationals. We will probably finish behind them.

Probably?? Expectations for Kyven are minimum of finals IMO. The way hes wrestling i could easily see him losing before finals.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Frustrated more than disappointed. We were only favored at 197, so can't be to upset. We just were so close in so many matches and just couldn't get the win. If we could have won 184 and/or 125 and Kyven dominated, I would feel a lot better. Tanner had a great match against Perry as did Goettl against Kindig. Gabe was much better against Collica

mikem

Jul 27, 2010
Frustrated more than disappointed. We were only favored at 197, so can't be to upset. We just were so close in so many matches and just couldn't get the win. If we could have won 184 and/or 125 and Kyven dominated, I would feel a lot better. Tanner had a great match against Perry as did Goettl against Kindig. Gabe was much better against Collica

I am frustrated also, no doubt.

Perspective, I have to keep reminding myself of this all the time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron