Academic Standards at Notre Dame

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Is anyone else tired of hearing how the academic standards at Notre Dame make it hard for them to win and get good players. Last time I checked they have been in the top 20 if not the top 10 in class rankings year in year out. They always seem to have players going pro. Heck this year 2 players are leaving earily and they have the same record as ISU.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Is anyone else tired of hearing how the academic standards at Notre Dame make it hard for them to win and get good players. Last time I checked they have been in the top 20 if not the top 10 in class rankings year in year out. They always seem to have players going pro. Heck this year 2 players are leaving earily and they have the same record as ISU.

Look at the where their offensive guys are in relation to defensive guys. Also look at how many guys get to the NFL. You can be a great high school player if you are smarter than everyone else. You cannot get to the NFL based just on smarts. They can recruit good football players, just not the upper echelon of talent. When you get great talent, you can coach it and model it into a great player. When you get smart guys that are limited athletically, there is always going to be that ceiling. The get great offensive talent. They get that talent because normally offensive players are the smarter players. Look at Wonderlics. The top four positions are offensive.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
While it's true Notre Dame is selective when it comes to admission requirements for regular students, their selectivity doesn't apply to student-athlete admissions. They're pretty much like ISU and almost every other D1 university when it comes to admitting student-athletes - if the student-athlete meets the NCAA initial eligibility requirements, he will be admitted.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
While it's true Notre Dame is selective when it comes to admission requirements for regular students, their selectivity doesn't apply to student-athlete admissions. They're pretty much like ISU and almost every other D1 university when it comes to admitting student-athletes - if the student-athlete meets the NCAA initial eligibility requirements, he will be admitted.

That's not true at all.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I also wouldn't say it is just the high standards. IT is a small school, in a small town. A lot of high school kids want the full college experience which other school can offer. Kids aren't the same now as they were 10 or 15 years ago. They want the glamour, the girls and the life of an NFL star in college.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Isn't one Notre Dames recruiting advantages is being a Catholic school. Isn't it if you go to a Catholic High School and are a good football player that Notre Dame will know about you and being from a Catholic High School there is pressure for you to go to Notre Dame to play football?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

No, Notre Dame is above NCAA requirements.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Then please give me one example of a Notre Dame football recruit who met NCAA initial-eligibility requirements but was denied admission.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
They get in anyone they want. Trust me.
Are you part of the General Counsel or something? The thing is ND doesn't want to get anyone in that doesn't meet the requirements. Look at players they put into the NFl and look at Wonderlics, I will bet the guys that get to the NFL aren't dummies.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Agree totally. Every BCS school that is very selective for general students - like Vandy, NW, Cal, Stanford, ND, Duke, and so on - has "special admissions" for stduent athletes. There's no way they could compete without it.
Pat Fitzgerald even talked about this once - that most of his squad would not be admitted to NW if they weren't a football recruit. But, as is true for all the selective schools, he said those athletes still have to compete in the same classes with the regular student body for grades...

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
It's not that cut and dry but seeing as I work at ND, I do know the SA population does not mirror the general student population.

Correct, it doesn't mirror the general population. It would be absolutely impossible to compete if that were true. But, they do not go by the same sliding test score/grade scale as other schools.

superman_101680

Oct 30, 2006
SW Michigan
Are you part of the General Counsel or something? The thing is ND doesn't want to get anyone in that doesn't meet the requirements. Look at players they put into the NFl and look at Wonderlics, I will bet the guys that get to the NFL aren't dummies.

No, but I do work with the people this thread is about.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
The fact the admissions are tougher is a source of pride for them. One of the reasons why they think they are so much better than everyone else. Anyone who is complaining about it probably is not that close to the University.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Correct, it doesn't mirror the general population. It would be absolutely impossible to compete if that were true. But, they do not go by the same sliding test score/grade scale as other schools.

I'm still waiting for you to respond to my earlier question. Can you give me ONE example of a Notre Dame football recruit who met all of the NCAA initial-eligibility requirements but was denied admission.?

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I'm still waiting for you to respond to my earlier question. Can you give me ONE example of a Notre Dame football recruit who met all of the NCAA initial-eligibility requirements but was denied admission.?

Generally they don't recruit the kids they don't have a feeling they can get in. The majority of the requirements they have center around what classes they take in HS. Alot of the guys playing college ball won't ever take the classes needed to get into ND.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I don't think they allow juco transfers for football.