Academic Standards at Notre Dame

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
They can but usually the student-athelte does not take anything that would transfer into a degree program at ND.
I see that the acceptance rate for general students at ND is around 25-26% (US News). Using my college application experience as a guide, I assume most students apply only to those schools where they have a chance to be accepted (i.e. high achievement in required high school core courses).
So, if you had to guess, how many ND football players would have been accepted to that school had they been general students?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'm still waiting for you to respond to my earlier question. Can you give me ONE example of a Notre Dame football recruit who met all of the NCAA initial-eligibility requirements but was denied admission.?

I highly doubt you would know about it. One would think that Notre Dame would be able to determine if the kid could possibly make it and if they aren't pretty solid as far as academics, they don't get looked at. I think Notre Dame probably also evaluates qualification sooner than a clearinghouse and cuts kids loose earlier. I don't know if there would be many guys that they would pursue up to the point they didn't qaulify.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
If there weren't problems trying to get some kids into ND, Sweet Lou would still be there. Trust me.

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I also wouldn't say it is just the high standards. IT is a small school, in a small town. A lot of high school kids want the full college experience which other school can offer. Kids aren't the same now as they were 10 or 15 years ago. They want the glamour, the girls and the life of an NFL star in college.

This is where I disagree. Notre Dame is a smaller school (~8,000 undergrad) it is by farone of the most glamourous universities to play football at. While they haven't challenged for a NC in a decade or so, there are very, very few schools (if any) that can compare to the hooplah that Notre Dame puts on about football. It's soaked in tradition, the athletes are worshiped, gameday is unreal, etc., etc. You want glamour and women? You got it. Every game on TV? You got that too. You want a rabid fanbase? Most certainly. Very few schools can give athletes the glamour appeal of Notre Dame.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I highly doubt you would know about it. One would think that Notre Dame would be able to determine if the kid could possibly make it and if they aren't pretty solid as far as academics, they don't get looked at. I think Notre Dame probably also evaluates qualification sooner than a clearinghouse and cuts kids loose earlier. I don't know if there would be many guys that they would pursue up to the point they didn't qaulify.

Then you would be wrong.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Generally they don't recruit the kids they don't have a feeling they can get in. The majority of the requirements they have center around what classes they take in HS. Alot of the guys playing college ball won't ever take the classes needed to get into ND.

Iowa State also has minimum high school course requirements for admission that recruited student-athletes must meet which extend beyond minimum NCAA initial-eligibility requirements, just like Notre Dame does. It's not that big of a deal.

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Notre Dame has never complained about thier high standards. This is just another example of the media taking over things and making things out to be what they are not.

MelMel

Oct 24, 2009
And no one gives this excuse for other schools with high standards.

I don't like Notre Dame but there really is truth to this. Their last QB to win a National Title in 1988 was a Prop 48 athlete that they wouldn't even accept today. Do you think he would have a problem playing anywhere in the SEC or at USC?

Also as Cyclone fans we know it all to well that the reason their classes have ranked so high is partly because they get stars added once they are going to Notre Dame.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/11/25/notre.dame/index.html

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
So what we are saying is the new Notre Dame coach will have to find the cream of the somewhat nerdy, somewhat Catholic, and somewhat good at football crop to succeed? No thanks.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
I see that the acceptance rate for general students at ND is around 25-26% (US News). Using my college application experience as a guide, I assume most students apply only to those schools where they have a chance to be accepted (i.e. high achievement in required high school core courses).
So, if you had to guess, how many ND football players would have been accepted to that school had they been general students?

And I believe your source (US News) will tell you that the acceptance rate for the general student population at ISU is about 90%.

The point is not that ND does not admit some student athletes that otherwise (if they were not athletes) would not get admitted to ND...they do.

The point is that the admission standards for the general student population at ND are higher than they are for other schools and that the admission standards for student athletes at ND, while lower than the general student population at ND, are still higher than the admission standards for student athletes at other schools.

By the way, for the person wanting examples...you will not get them due to privacy laws that exist today.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
And I believe your source (US News) will tell you that the acceptance rate for the general student population at ISU is about 90%.

The point is not that ND does not admit some student athletes that otherwise (if they were not athletes) would not get admitted to ND...they do.

The point is that the admission standards for the general student population at ND are higher than they are for other schools and that the admission standards for student athletes at ND, while lower than the general student population at ND, are still higher than the admission standards for student athletes at other schools.

By the way, for the person wanting examples...you will not get them due to privacy laws that exist today.

The reason why the acceptance rate for the general student population at ISU is so high is because, unlike most colleges and universities, ISU's admission requirements are completely transparent. In other words, applicants know in advance whether they will meet the admission requirements, so applicants who are not admissible tend to not apply.

I can tell you with certainty that those schools which have high selectivity with the general student population do not have nearly the same degree of selectivity with recruited student-athletes. Schools like Michigan and Illinois (which also are in the highly selective range for general student population) have taken non-qaulifiers in the past that would have never been admitted to Iowa State. The belief that Notre Dame has selective admission standards for student-athletes is highly overstated.