Advise Needed - Vehicles for Three Kids

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
We have three 8, 6 and 1 so not quite your situation. We have a van and I did have a 2013 accord until earlier this year when I upgraded to a 2019 Passport. Overall the Accord was okay but they enjoy having more room in the passport even though they are still three across. The one year old is in the middle to separate the two older ones. It can be a bit of a pain lifting her in/out and buckling but it is worth it to reduce the fighting. The 8 year old is now also helping to buckle her in/out as and she is almost 2 so if she wants to (which doesn't happen because there are other things to get into) she could just climb in by herself.

Reactions: cyfan92

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
IMO after having 3 kids myself, get the nicest cheapest minivan that you won't mind getting filthy or partially destroyed. They will drop every liquid, food, draw in things, have dirty shoes, etc. It's not worth having something fancy.
This is the answer.

Get a minivan, drive it for 10-15 years, then have a ceremonial burning. You think you won't look cool or young because minivan? Wrong. No one looks cool or young toting around a bunch of kids. So embrace it.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
This is the answer.

Get a minivan, drive it for 10-15 years, then have a ceremonial burning. You think you won't look cool or young because minivan? Wrong. No one looks cool or young toting around a bunch of kids. So embrace it.
I already have 1 van though.. Trying to figure out if I can "make due" with the sedan in the limited instances I carry all three kids.

Especially as I drive some for work and the sedan is low mileage so I don't really want to sell it

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
We had the same issue 7 years ago. I traded in my Ford Fusion for a Chevy Traverse. Love it still today.

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
Keep the sedan.

Set-up the minivan for the all three. Set-up the sedan for just the two oldest.

Whoever has the youngest gets to drive the minivan that day.

This is our current set up. Toyota Sienna and a Chevy Equinox. Very tempting to upsize from the Equinox so all 5 (and all 3 kids) can fit in the vehicle that is not the van, but it just doesnt make sense financially. Car payments, and cars in general suck, so got to hold out as looooooooooooong as possible. We swap the Sienna often as needed, and even with the grandparents if they are helping out. The Van is always with the kids is the rule :cool:

Reactions: psycln11

Flynn4Heisman

Mar 24, 2006
Do what I would do as someone who only drives coupes. 2 doors is all you need people!!!

First, buy a 2 door. Those are REAL cars.

Second, If your wife isn't with you, have one sit in the front, and two in the back.

Third, If wife is with you, throw one in the trunk. That's what the trunk is for.

Simple.

I say the above somewhat as a joke, and I am so sad about the lack of coupes on the road today, but my father also only exclusively drove 2 doors his entire life, and I had no problems climbing in the back in my toddler years.

The "trunk" comment is due to me requesting to ride in the trunk of his 1987 Accord Hatch so I could lay down and look out the rear windshield. Good times.

Well... Again, that IS what the trunk is for anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
That seems to be the ideal configuration. Wondering if lifting a baby into the middle seat is doable or if It'll drive me insane.

It won’t drive you insane. What will drive you insane is a higher car payment and wishing you would have kept the accord. I honestly wish I would have gone smaller/cheaper.

My sibling that has lived all over the US and the world kind of put it in perspective. The Midwest is fascinated with large SUVs and trucks when 99.99 percent of the time a car will do. It’s what most of the world does. Most of us grew up in sedans. We all made it just fine. You have the van if you need it. People in the Midwest and to a certain extent the US have been trained that bigger/better/more expensive is a necessity. It’s not.

Last edited:

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Bigger is easier, but I'm going to try keeping the paid for car. No one has said don't do it.

Good call. If you think it’s that much of a pain in the ass, trade it in then. Don’t do it ahead of time.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
One of these. Four days around Yellowstone in luxury,

Room for at least 6 more progeny.

1699679612115.png

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm very blessed with high fertility and a smokeshow to come home to ever night.. A Urologist will be getting a visit around March Madness to prevent 4 under 6..
SOB, this is not even humble bragging, just flat out bragging. ;) Congrats.

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
We survived 4 kids under 6 with a Windstar minivan and a 4 door Taurus. These eventually became their cars as they learned to drive and drove themselves to events. Kids cried as they helped me drive them to the scrap yard as the youngest turned 17 and they were rusted/worn out.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
On the days you know you have to drive the kids, you drive the van and make your wife drive the Accord. Sorry. "Let" your wife drive the Accord.

Otherwise, when we were in a similar situation years ago we found that the VW Passat would fit one rear-facing and two forward facing car seats across the back seat. I was commuting a long way each day and wanted something small with good mileage. Only sedan that would do it at the time without going huge like a Lincoln or Cadillac. This was about 2010. I ended up getting an F-250 Crew Cab, drove it for a year, then moved even farther from work... We decided to trade it for a Civic and just swap cars as needed (which was rare).