Alison Lacey on Wheaties box

simville02

Mar 25, 2009
I believe it's been well noted that Iowa State women's basketball players don't always transition well to the WNBA. I believe Coach Fen has even said that himself once or twice.

Anyway, it's tough to make the cut on a WNBA team, let alone a team that ends up winning the championship. Just because she may not have played all that often doesn't mean she had a small role on the team.

Like most, if not all, I'm very proud of what she's accomplished at Iowa State and beyond. She's now training to represent her country -- a great honor.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
Add the fact that Lacey had to play behind Sue Bird and Brian Agler is well-known of not trusting rookies and developing young players. Her poor stat was primarily due to the rust as she didn't play consistently. It was a difficult time for her.

I hope Lacey can make it to 2012 Olympics team - last season went ok for her in Canberra and the Capitals already planned to sign her as one of their priority signings for 2011/12 season.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
All I am trying to say is that no one on here is a student athlete or a professional athlete so therefore it might be an idea to step back and think before you are so quick to pass judgement and post comments. Until you are in the shoes of an athlete you have no right to really say anything. This has nothing to do with Alison Lacey and her performance but everything to do with young athletes and people on message boards leaving comments when they have zero to little knowledge of really what is going on in these young people lives. Call me touchy if you would like, but it is all too easy to sit back and talk about performance when you're sitting on the sideline watching. People have a right to their opinion, I just think before people start talking about mediocre performances they should know all of the facts and circumstances. Until you can do a better job and have been in the same position as the athletes I dont think you have much ground to talk.

So I take it you never watch Sportscenter, read the sports page, and watch all televised sporting events on mute.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
Big Picture is Alison was one of the top WBB player's ISU has produced and the highest drafted. A poor rookie WNBA performance in her debut on a team of supers stars and championship team is that the big point you are defending because its so apparently honest to do so?

Not to change the subject, I don't see you posting here much, if ever. Your legacy may then be to point out that despite beloved and successful Lacey's legacy was she had a rotten WNBA rookie season then moved to another league.

Thank goodness there are people who can see the pure, honest facts and point them out to us that follow the women's game closely.

Wait...you're calling me out for not posting when I have 10 times more posts on this site than you do?

Putting that aside, I was defending the original poster who simply stated that he hoped Lacey step it up, and then was wholesale attacked for it. I'm defending the validity of the discussion board concept, where people state opinions and they are debated. I'm not making any comments at all about anybody's legacy. I simply stated that, for a player who has their trademark as being a 3 point shooter, Lacey was less than stellar at it last year. That's all I said.

On a team of superstars, playing time is hard to come by, and rookies must take full advantage of that playing time, something that Alison didn't do last year. I hope it improves, because I support ALL of Iowa State's athletes at the next level, but I'm also not blinded by the Cardinal colored glasses. 11% shooting is, quite simply, not good.

Reactions: Angie

mhalb

Apr 11, 2010
Iowa
Okay, sorry to jump in randomly, but I have not been on the computer forever and just finished reading the conversation.

I think what someone is trying to say is that the student-athletes know about these forums and they read them, so to put up "negative" input about their performances might be hurtful to them and their super fans.

Also, no one actually knows what Aus' playing role was like. No one knows how she played in practices and what she was told to do when entering a game. On ESPN during her season in Seattle they called her a lights out shooter in practices. Who knows maybe Agler told Aus to take care of the ball and pass it only. :/ Nobody will know. So we can't really judge her.

My mother knows Aus personally and said Aus liked the experience but was not happy being a bench warmer and not being able to help out.

With that being said, we can all agree that Aus didn't have the season WE expected her to have nor what she will soon be capable of, but we all can agree that it is hard to have that super season when you have to play behind veterans that included one of the best players in the world, Lauren Jackson, the best point guard in the world, Sue Bird, and another great forward who is on the USA team, Swin Cash. Also, she had to play behind, Tanisha Wright, Camille Little, (starters) Jana Vesala, and Svet (starters on their national teams.) Hard? Yes. Also, for her to make it on a team in the WNBA that only allows 132 players total to play in the WNBA is a tremendous accomplishments. I only wish that they would go back to having 13 players on each team.

One. Step. At. A. Time.

Maybe if she was drafted somewhere else she would of got a better opportunity, but maybe it was her fate.

She is a hard worker that is working hard on improving her skills right now. I hope to see her in the Olympics in future, having a MVP season in Canberra next season, and back in the WNBA next year.

Go AUS-> forever a cyclone. :)

P.S. I know this is a opinion. We all should be nice to each other and accept what people think.

Reactions: cyclone13

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Wait...you're calling me out for not posting when I have 10 times more posts on this site than you do?

Putting that aside, I was defending the original poster who simply stated that he hoped Lacey step it up, and then was wholesale attacked for it. I'm defending the validity of the discussion board concept, where people state opinions and they are debated. I'm not making any comments at all about anybody's legacy. I simply stated that, for a player who has their trademark as being a 3 point shooter, Lacey was less than stellar at it last year. That's all I said.

On a team of superstars, playing time is hard to come by, and rookies must take full advantage of that playing time, something that Alison didn't do last year. I hope it improves, because I support ALL of Iowa State's athletes at the next level, but I'm also not blinded by the Cardinal colored glasses. 11% shooting is, quite simply, not good.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin

"Here" is the WBB Forum. And if we don't wear cardinal-colored glasses than who will? Anyone can be see the negative but a fan takes the though high road and looks for the positive. Ten times as often.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest

I think the shooting percentage stat is misleading. The circumstances of getting in the game for the end, and trying to get a shot off forced, and the nerves of having not made one yet, added up. She made that roster for a reason.

There were many times last year when she could have gotten some minutes, but Agler was focused on winning without any question marks, and didn't have much interest in developing young players. Right now with short rosters, unless they are an elite player out of college ranks, then they need to spend a few years in Europe or Australia developing their game to the pro level. I don't think this is knock on Lacey. There are some much bigger names out there than her that got cut from rosters, she simply isn't choosing to come back.

sodakjoe

Sep 15, 2006
Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
"Here" is the WBB Forum. And if we don't wear cardinal-colored glasses than who will? Anyone can be see the negative but a fan takes the though high road and looks for the positive. Ten times as often.

I have posted in this forum (WBB) a number of times. I played in the Women's BBall Pep Band for the better part of three years. Once again, I wasn't attacking anyone. Stop getting so defensive.

ferdnand1

Mar 24, 2006
I hope you get your act together.
Lets talk about the mediocre life that you apparently live if you have time to sit on here and talk like that about someone you don’t know.Its very easy to sit back as a spectator and make comments about what people should do. Your life is obviously not in the public eye so we dont have the opportunity to make posts about your performance.

Im going to go ahead and assume your performance with whatever you do in your life is mediocre. Im sure it is easy for you to sit on here and ridicule young people but perhaps you should take the time you put into this message board into something else. All the athletes at ISU are young and are learning.

How dare anyone on this website talk negatively about them. You have NO idea what is going on with them in their real lives (not the lives you see in the media) Maybe the next time someone feels like discussing performance in a negative way, when they themselves have no idea about the individuals they are talking about.. perhaps you could think about how you would feel if there was a message board about your performance where people could discuss it having little to no information about circumstances.
Dare I say...get off your high horse. He was speaking of her poor shooting in the pro's.... Who doesn't want Lacey to do well or succeed?

good god. I assume you're just jacking around

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron