All Big 12 first team

AMarner32

Jul 11, 2013
Anyone want to take a stab at who may be All conference? We probably have three candidates with Monte, Georges and Jameel.

I'd guess it will look something like this:

Gathers
Niang
Hield
Forte
Morris

I could also see Ellis, McKay and maybe Nash also being considered.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Anyone want to take a stab at who may be All conference? We probably have three candidates with Monte, Georges and Jameel.

Gathers
Niang
Hield
Forte
Morris

no way no KU will be on the 1st team, I think Ellis and Hield are slam dunks.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Zero chance Ellis is left off the First team...hell he could end up being POY in the conference.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
1st: Staton, Morris, Hield, Ellis, Gathers
2nd: Niang, Nash, TCU point guard, Prince, Forte
3rd: Mason, Cousins, McKay, someone from Texas, Williams

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Deserving or not, I doubt Morris will be first team. Mason and Staten getting too much press at the point guard position for them to put Morris on there.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA

Gathers
Niang
Hield
Forte
Morris

Ellis will be the POTY.

I'd go:

G Morris
G Hield
G Staten
F Niang
F Ellis

If they have 6 spots maybe add Nash.

jim4

Sep 27, 2014
Staten
Hield
Niang
Ellis
Gathers

Note: This is my prediction, not my picks.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Morris
Staten
Mason
Forte
Nash
Prince
Gathers
Niang
Ellis
Hield

I would say the bolded are "locks". The other 2 spots are pretty interchangeable. I wouldn't be surprised if the first team has 6 players.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
If I had to guess...

Ellis
Gathers
Niang
Hield
Staten

Monte gets snubbed even though he is with out a doubt the best PG in the league. It's just that Niang is the guy everyone associates with Iowa State.. Staten because he was pre season POY even though I don't think he deserves to be 1st team All-XII over some other contenders.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
If I had to guess...

Ellis
Gathers
Niang
Hield
Staten

Monte gets snubbed even though he is with out a doubt the best PG in the league. It's just that Niang is the guy everyone associates with Iowa State.. Staten because he was pre season POY even though I don't think he deserves to be 1st team All-XII over some other contenders.

also, George's is the guy every team game plans for. When you listen to other coaches talk about this team, he's the first one mentioned.

whippetranch

Feb 9, 2013
Lower Beaver, DSM, IA
So I checked out the "conference games only" statistics on Big 12's site and there are some interesting tidbits on there.

1. Jameel is our best free throw shooter in conference play at 65.2% and 15th overall in conference! (min. 2.5 made per game). 2nd in blocks, 3rd in rebounds
2. Niang is top 10 in pts and assists and top 20 in rebounds while also 2nd in conf. in 3P%
3. Morris 2nd in steals, 2nd in FG% (!) and leads assists and assists to TOs while also being 11th in pts and 2nd in minutes played

Is there a site with efficiency stats for college players? I can't imagine too many players are more effective per possession/touch than Morris.

I don't see how you leave Morris off first team and Jameel off second team. Niang could go either way. Hield or Ellis could get player of year. Staten has a good stat line but I honestly thought it would be better.