All FB coaching rumors and speculation

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
while I don't doubt the authenticity of that tweet, I'd point out it was pretty unanimous that Ed Orgeron should be the LSU coach when he was hired.

It's pretty natural for the guys that are there to like the guy who they know.

Any AD worth anything would take that with a grain of salt and do their due diligence. Freeman may end up being a good head coach some day, Fickell and Campbell have already proven to be good head coaches. Maybe in doing your due diligence you find that Freeman impresses you so much that you take that risk rather than going with the proven commodities.
It’s not that involved. They all like the guy, the recruits stay and they get “points”. Everybody wins!

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
while I don't doubt the authenticity of that tweet, I'd point out it was pretty unanimous that Ed Orgeron should be the LSU coach when he was hired.

Any AD worth anything would take that with a grain of salt and do their due diligence. Freeman may end up being a good head coach some day, Fickell and Campbell have already proven to be good head coaches. Maybe in doing your due diligence you find that Freeman impresses you so much that you take that risk rather than going with the proven commodities.

This is how you end up with Steve Prohm when T.J. is right there for you to hire.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I actually think Freeman is the safe hire. Missing out on the internal guy that leaves and goes and tears it up elsewhere would be bad. If you hire Freeman and he underwhelms after 3 years, there's a great chance that Fickell and/or Campbell are still at Cincy and ISU, and you can make a run at them at that time.

Failing with the popular internal guy is going to be more forgivable, especially when you feel like you'll have the opportunity to go get one of the other two guys if it proves to have been a mistake to hire Freeman.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
This is how you end up with Steve Prohm when T.J. is right there for you to hire.

Not even close to the same thing. Do you think all that head coaching TJ did in the meantime didn't help him learn a few things? It's not like he was in the local hy-vee stocking shelves the last few years. He's had several head coaching stops, and multiple chances to build staffs and develop his coaching style. That is extremely valuable.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
It’s not that involved. They all like the guy, the recruits stay and they get “points”. Everybody wins!

Do you really think the recruits would all leave if Luke Fickell was named the coach? I think that's an absurd take.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Has CMC ever been all that transparent about this kind of stuff?

I'm just spitballing here, but, what if CMC has not been contacted by ND? I mean it was pretty obvious that USC was going after him. According to ND though, they haven't reached out to anyone at this point. Would you want CMC to come out publicly and say, "I'm not taking the ND job?" when he possibly hasn't even been contacted about it yet, let alone offered it?

Let us not forget, coaching college football isn't necessarily the most stable job on the planet. Even if you are happy as hell where you are, you can't afford to burn any bridges along the way. In reality, CMC is only 2 or 3 seasons in a row of not making a bowl and then having to start looking for another job. I would think any smart coach knows it may anger the fans, but with whom his job security matters, it's probably best to be known as the guy who keeps his mouth shut until he has something concrete to say.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
We aren't going to pay him what would be required. Duke has him as their #1 choice, they will throw a lot of money at him.

-100% chance Freeman comes to ISU
Maybe Duke throws a lot of money at Freeman, but is Duke FB capable of being a .500 program?

IMO ISU is going to need to pay it's next FB coach in the same ballpark as Matt Campbell. In a couple years $6-7M will be an average coaches salary in P5.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I think programs have seen how hiring young stars like Ryan Day and Lincoln Riley worked out pretty damn well, and might be more willing to go with this trend.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm just spitballing here, but, what if CMC has not been contacted by ND? I mean it was pretty obvious that USC was going after him. According to ND though, they haven't reached out to anyone at this point. Would you want CMC to come out publicly and say, "I'm not taking the ND job?" when he possibly hasn't even been contacted about it yet, let alone offered it?

Let us not forget, coaching college football isn't necessarily the most stable job on the planet. Even if you are happy as hell where you are, you can't afford to burn any bridges along the way. In reality, CMC is only 2 or 3 seasons in a row of not making a bowl and then having to start looking for another job. I would think any smart coach knows it may anger the fans, but with whom his job security matters, it's probably best to be known as the guy who keeps his mouth shut until he has something concrete to say.

Unless you’re Lincoln Riley. That bridge is toast.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I know we will never get the TRUE behind the scenes of it all. But I would LOVE to be able to now what CMC's life has been the last week or so.....chats with his family...who is calling him or people associated with him.....what are his staff talking about....what is HE thinking when he sees his name all over the place (does he even care....does a staffer keep him up to date, etc). Fascinating.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Honestly I don't think we have really learned anything today. I feel comfortable saying Campbell is definitely not their first option, but I don't think we'll feel comfortable until a new ND coach is hired.

Reactions: CapnCy and jsb

cyc26

Nov 24, 2020
Seeing ND recruits tweeting voicing their support for Freeman, hopefully a good sign.
One posted a pic with him and said "WE WANT FREEMAN"

If Fickell is signing an extension I really hope ND goes with Freeman.

New big 12 with Campbell, Aranda, Fickell, Gundy would be very fun.