All FB coaching rumors and speculation

• We Will Collective May Donor Drive - Last Day, Help Needed!

We're in the final hours of a critical push to signup donors for the May Donor Drive. Let your Cyclone friends know!

Please consider giving at We Will Collective.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Wait a minute.....he's never been a head coach yet and he's already too expensive? Whaaat???

If he is going to be made the highest paid DC by either Ohio State or LSU, then yes his head coaching price tag is going to be higher than what JP pays

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
Please explain this 'hall pass' thing to me. I don't get it.

Two people are married, committed to each other, madly in love. But for funsies they have a (mostly hypothetical) "Hall Pass". If Ryan Reynolds showed up at their door with his top two buttons undone, flowers in hand, and a fancy car to ride off into the sunset (or just dinner)...she's free to go, no questions asked. Same if Halle Berry showed up looking for him. Neither is realistically going to happen, but it's just a fun joke. But if they did show up....hey, that's their hall pass and ya gotta honor it.

Campbell seems pretty committed to Iowa State these days. He's not going to "settle" for a lateral or downgrade school. But if ND or tOSU come calling, he's probably answering. And if Nick Saban called JP up and said "ya know, I'm kinda bored down here and want to build another dynasty somewhere else", JP would give it some serious thought. Both are unlikely to happen; we just happen to currently be in that slim-chance circumstance that ND is open (which NOBODY expected heading into the last weekend of the season).

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
They aren't "crafting" a response to recruits they are talking to them on a regular basis as the coaches normally do and letting them know the truth of the situation.

As can be seen by the lack of comments from recruits they are handling the situation better than the fans, and they are the ones most likely to be affected.
You think they’re telling them the truth? Lol.

Say the same **** you’re telling recruits. Which is way more than “there’s nothing to comment on”.

Give JP something, otherwise we’ve know the ridiculous **** he’ll say.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
If he is going to be made the highest paid DC by either Ohio State or LSU, then yes his head coaching price tag is going to be higher than what JP pays

Okay, I'm out of the loop then. A highly paid DC makes over 2 million?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Two people are married, committed to each other, madly in love. But for funsies they have a (mostly hypothetical) "Hall Pass". If Ryan Reynolds showed up at their door with his top two buttons undone, flowers in hand, and a fancy car to ride off into the sunset (or just dinner)...she's free to go, no questions asked. Same if Halle Berry showed up looking for him. Neither is realistically going to happen, but it's just a fun joke. But if they did show up....hey, that's their hall pass and ya gotta honor it.

Crazy stuff! Sounds like something that should be a delightful romcom, maybe Owen Wilson, Jason Sedaris types.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
Okay, I'm out of the loop then. A highly paid DC makes over 2 million?

Okay, edit....just found an article that says Venables is the highest paid coordinator at 2.5million a year. But that's Clemson and lots of experience. Why wouldn't Freeman want a place to prove he could be a good 'head coach' and prove he can run a program to get quality experience? Start at 2 mil with incentives. What $ was CMC hired for, his first year here?

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Freeman isn’t coming to ISU. He can take a DC job just about anywhere for a higher salary and have a higher profile

Sorry, but what a dumb statement. The highest paid DC right now is $2.5MM (Venables). Basically the floor for a P5 HC new hire is $3MM now; that’s what McGuire got from Tech. Obviously we pay Campbell more than that and if we extend him this offseason he’ll probably be around $4.5MM.

i think the B1G Kool Aid got to your head because MSU can pay Tucker $10MM to get his s**t kicked in by Ryan Day, but we can still pay head coaches more than coordinators here in the little old Big 12.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Sorry, but what a dumb statement. The highest paid DC right now is $2.5MM (Venables). Basically the floor for a P5 HC new hire is $3MM now; that’s what McGuire got from Tech. Obviously we pay Campbell more than that and if we extend him this offseason he’ll probably be around $4.5MM.

i think the B1G Kool Aid got to your head because MSU can pay Tucker $10MM to get his s**t kicked in by Ryan Day, but we can still pay head coaches more than coordinators here in the little old Big 12.

Highest paid. For now. Get ready for that to change.

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Highest paid. For now. Get ready for that to change.

The post I quoted said Freeman could get more “just about anywhere” as a coordinator than ISU could afford to make him a head coach, which is either insulting or laughably ignorant.