(Almost) Perfect Record Albums...

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The thing with most Pink Floyd albums is not every song is supposed to be great. Some just lead to other songs and fill a gap. I get what you are saying though. I just like some of the songs that are just fillers to get to the next great song

But I guess that’s my beef with Money. The rest of the album has a certain tone and it flows from one song to the next with perfect interludes. Except for Money. It just seems to be such an outlier in tone compared the rest of the album.

Animals, for example, flows so well from song to song without any one song really standing out amongst the rest.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
But I guess that’s my beef with Money. The rest of the album has a certain tone and it flows from one song to the next with perfect interludes. Except for Money. It just seems to be such an outlier in tone compared the rest of the album.

Animals, for example, flows so well from song to song without any one song really standing out amongst the rest.
If you consider Dark Side as a concept album it’s easier to accept the difference in Money simply because it was a song Waters wrote as a kid…so it has some autobiographical context for its inclusion on the record. In a sense it’s supposed to be different, as a stop along the journey. The cohesion you hear on Animals exists because Waters modified the songs You’ve Got to Be Crazy into Dogs and Raving And Drooling into Sheep to go with Pigs and Pigs on the Wing alluding to an Orwellian Animal Farm theme. PF had been performing the aforementioned songs live all the way back to at least ‘74, by ‘77 they’d perfected them.

Reactions: demoncore1031

Mead For My Horses

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 23, 2020
But is 30 minutes an album or an EP? Maybe it is a perfect album that had the clunker culled before pressing?

I'll take another swing. Who's Next was the near perfect album, but for Getting in Tune.
Maybe Love Ain't For Keeping on that one for me, but I agree, near perfect.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Agree with this. I actually hate the song anyway AND it makes zero sense on the album. It seems like somebody at the record company heard DSotM and said “this concept album is way too weird. Jam a hit that can get some radio play or we aren’t putting out the album.”

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Mine is “My Wife” - great song, just doesn’t fit the rest of the tone.
Agreed but it’s one of my favorite WHO tunes so it gets a pass from me…and it’s Ox’s tune, which makes me love it even more.

Reactions: Angie

CyclonePigskin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 28, 2010
DSM
Off the top of my head, and not listed by others:

Child Is Father to the Man - Blood Sweat & Tears
Eat A Peach - Allman Brothers Band