Am I the Only One?

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Because this isn't basketball. Quick turnarounds in football are not the norm. It takes time.

What is your idea of quick? 10 years? Rhoads has been here for 7 seasons. You guys all act like he just got here in 2013. We all know it takes time to turn a program around, that's why we want to make the move now and a lot of us think Rhoads should have been gone last year. The longer we let this go, the deeper hole we are going to be in and the longer it will take to crawl out.

I just don't get how the apologists act like this is some mess created by someone else. This is Rhoads' team and his players. There really should never be talk of "Turning a program around," when it's been your program for 7 seasons. At this point, if there is a need to turn the program around, we need someone else to do it.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I'm starting to hate coming on to this site anymore. It's like stepping into some bizarre alternate reality where 8-26 and six straight losing seasons are a good thing. The "We Are Iowa State" mentality has ruined the perspective of so many fans.

Rhoads will come back next year and miss a bowl yet again...but we'll choke away a couple more close games against good teams, and the heads-in-sand crowd will continue to bleat about how we're just one more year away.

Disagree. IF CPR is given one more year, he will definitely have to produce wins.

My position is that if we can not get the head coach that I want to have for the next 4 years then I would not make the change. I make the change because I am getting the Head Coach that I want to get. I do not make a change to just make a change.

gwoodclone

Jul 11, 2007
Disagree. IF CPR is given one more year, he will definitely have to produce wins.

My position is that if we can not get the head coach that I want to have for the next 4 years then I would not make the change. I make the change because I am getting the Head Coach that I want to get. I do not make a change to just make a change.

Didn't you (or at least most of the Rhoads supporters) say that this year? But the goalposts moved from 6 wins to 3 wins and "improvement". Just like they'll move next year.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
What is your idea of quick? 10 years? Rhoads has been here for 7 seasons. You guys all act like he just got here in 2013. We all know it takes time to turn a program around, that's why we want to make the move now and a lot of us think Rhoads should have been gone last year. The longer we let this go, the deeper hole we are going to be in and the longer it will take to crawl out.

I just don't get how the apologists act like this is some mess created by someone else. This is Rhoads' team and his players. There really should never be talk of "Turning a program around," when it's been your program for 7 seasons. At this point, if there is a need to turn the program around, we need someone else to do it.

This program is better NOW than when Chizik left. This program is better NOW than we were in 2013 and 2014.

This program is actually poised to have good success. Look at the roster. We return 9 starters on defense. We return 7 or 8 starters on offense and the subs have gotten lots of playing time. IMO, the biggest loss will be Jamison Lalk at center. And on defense Floyd and Pierson.

Your attempt to portray this program as being in a bigger hole than we were is not true.

This team is better now than we were at the beginning of the year. And better than the previous 2 years. No doubt about it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
This program is better NOW than when Chizik left. This program is better NOW than we were in 2013 and 2014.

This program is actually poised to have good success. Look at the roster. We return 9 starters on defense. We return 7 or 8 starters on offense and the subs have gotten lots of playing time. IMO, the biggest loss will be Jamison Lalk at center. And on defense Floyd and Pierson.

Your attempt to portray this program as being in a bigger hole than we were is not true.

This team is better now than we were at the beginning of the year. And better than the previous 2 years. No doubt about it.

Agreed.

Apr 19, 2006
Ferentz has shown he can take a team from the dumps to a power three different times. What has CPR done?

I've got nothing against Iowa and actually like Ferentz. I believe he can either really evaluate talent and/or really develop his players.

With that being said, I don't think he went from a dumpster fire to a diamond in one season either. I think it has more to do with their schedule or lack of and catching other teams on a down year.

If he was as good as some think then his teams would be top 10 consistently.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Didn't you (or at least most of the Rhoads supporters) say that this year? But the goalposts moved from 6 wins to 3 wins and "improvement". Just like they'll move next year.

I said that he would likely need 5 wins. Maybe 4 wins depending on how competitive we are. No doubt we have been competitive. Not sure if Pollard gives CPR a mulligan on the Toledo loss since the chip shot FG should not have been missed IMO. And it all depends on how Pollard views the Okie State game. The Mark Mangino firing might benefit CPR as well. The team has looked pretty decent in the last 3 games.

Combine that with the buyout, the large number of coaching jobs open this year and who Pollard thinks is the potential replacement for CPR. Lots of factors. Pollard will also factor in whether the fans will buy tickets based on the returning roster of players returning and the potential for a good season. Or whether fans will not buy tickets if CPR returns. Those are all considerations. Pollard will have to be comfortable with the replacement head coach being here for the next 4 or 5 years if a change is made. We will not pull a kansas.

Hoiball92

Apr 23, 2015
Des Moines
I'm not a negative person but after watching 3 years of losses rack up, many in the same fashion, how are you NOT negative when if comes to Iowa State football?

I mean how many people could have predicted we would lose that OSU game? Most fans saw that letdown coming a mile away.
We have most of the team coming back next year. Starting QB, 2 RB's a lot of WR 2 O line starters and a lot on the defense. Plus the big 12 probably won't be as good next year.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
There is improvement. At some point you have to get a stop on 3rd down. At some point when you need to score you put the ball in the endzone. Until that time this program isn't going anywhere. Those are not just CPR issue, they have been around for a long time.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
We have most of the team coming back next year. Starting QB, 2 RB's a lot of WR 2 O line starters and a lot on the defense. Plus the big 12 probably won't be as good next year.

Pretty much our entire offense from last year returned this year. How has that worked out?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've been a Paul Rhoads guy for a long time (check my posts over the summer and early this year) but I also said this year is a make or break year...that he needed to produce.

Sure we are better than last year but that means nothing if it doesn't show up in the W-L column. And one more win with a vastly improved defense and a competent offense does not earn another year.

What are people seeing in Paul Rhoads and this coaching staff to actually WANT them back next year? It can be the wins. It can't be the in-game decisions. It can't be player development. So what is it?

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I refuse to let you pee on my parade. Sick of hearing all of you that cannot look on the bright side of our program. Too many here look at the glass as half-empty, not half-full.

Not trying to rain on your parade but I'm not sure the progress you've mentioned constitutes a bright side. We're going to finish 3-9 so the thing that counts, our record, is making no progress.

Does the fact that some people survived the Titanic constitute a "bright side"?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm starting to hate coming on to this site anymore. It's like stepping into some bizarre alternate reality where 8-26 and six straight losing seasons are a good thing. The "We Are Iowa State" mentality has ruined the perspective of so many fans.

Rhoads will come back next year and miss a bowl yet again...but we'll choke away a couple more close games against good teams, and the heads-in-sand crowd will continue to bleat about how we're just one more year away.

I've come to believe that it's either a total desperation to keep believing that he's our guy, a totally ingrained "We are Iowa State" culture that refuses to believe in better things, or a whole lot of family members found the Internet.

Sioux_Per_Cy

Mar 31, 2006
We owe the players on this team a better coach.

I think that we can actually go to a bowl game in spite of him next year, but why should we settle for a coach that has consistently put players in poor positions/schemes and blundered games away? I've seen the improvement, but am totally over CPR as our coach.

Who is we? Unless you are ponying up with a big donation then it is the athletic administration not we.

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
I refuse to let you pee on my parade. Sick of hearing all of you that cannot look on the bright side of our program. Too many here look at the glass as half-empty, not half-full.

Hey. There's more than one way to swing a dead cat. It's like shooting monkeys in a barrel. But then it's really no skin off a duck's back. We can burn that bridge when we cross it.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
"We" is about get much smaller if CPR continues to be our coach.

I want to do this before someone does it seriously:
"Good riddance. We only want the true fans, the ones who stick through thick and thin and don't care about the record. We care about supporting the program instead."

Never mind the realities there. ISU fans have this perverse pride in sticking through seasons that we shouldn't have to be sitting through., year after year, as though supporting losing makes us better fans and people.

So, good riddance and stuff, or something.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron