Amateur or Pro?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
McNamara, who said money was an explicit part of his search for a new school, got an offer from a collective at the University of Iowa called the Swarm Collective. It pays about $600 an hour.

CyBronco2121

Mar 20, 2015
Cumming
College student athletes are spoiled. Paid education, food (nutrition tables), housing, clothing, tutors, and plenty more. Why should these players get more? The average college grad will earn hundreds or thousands of dollars more than someone who doesn't go to college. I'm starting to not like college sports as the big schools continue to be dominant. The NCAA is the problem - student athletes would get suspended in the past for what their doing today.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
College student athletes are spoiled. Paid education, food (nutrition tables), housing, clothing, tutors, and plenty more. Why should these players get more? The average college grad will earn hundreds or thousands of dollars more than someone who doesn't go to college. I'm starting to not like college sports as the big schools continue to be dominant. The NCAA is the problem - student athletes would get suspended in the past for what their doing today.
Look at this guy. Double spaces after periods and yelling at kids to not make money because that's not how we did it back in the day.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It's pretty much always been amateur or pro lite.

Scholarships are financial incentive to start with and there's been plenty of mentions of ISU players in the past not exactly coming to Ames because they loved the clock tower.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Having a couple hundred thousand or even tens of thousand right out of college in the bank puts them very far ahead of most college graduates. Many of these athletes won’t even make it to the pros so will hold normal job like the rest of us. Blum has said because of the payouts in college, those who don’t have pro prospects are deciding to come back due to the payouts, which helps a school like us.

Reactions: Bigman38 and wxman1

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I’m fine with them getting paid. But the re-recruiting of your own players each offseason is super annoying.

I feel at this point, just making them employees and having them sign 2- or 4-year contracts is better than the current system.

Then you don’t need to worry about losing your best players each year. Conversely, if a kid doesn’t live up to expectations, coaches can’t just cut them loose scott free.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Capitalism, man. They should get as much as they can get. That's the American way.

Also, I'm curious about this statement: "I'm starting to not like college sports as the big schools continue to be dominant."

What the heck have you been watching? Because if that's your complaint, I'm not sure that you've been paying attention to college sports.

• Dumb
Reactions: BigM and madguy30

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The only difference now is that NIL is legal instead of a having a bag man giving them cash and cars under the table. Anyone that thinks this has not been going on for years in the SEC or at places like Kansas for basketball are fooling themselves.
Winner cheat all the time and have been doing it for years, that is how they stay on top.

Reactions: legi

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The only difference now is that NIL is legal instead of a having a bag man giving them cash and cars under the table. Anyone that thinks this has not been going on for years in the SEC or at places like Kansas for basketball are fooling themselves.
Winner cheat all the time and have been doing it for years, that is how they stay on top.

Matt A.?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
This is true for high school recruits and truly elite-level players willing to sit out a transfer year.

The difference now is above average players for schools are getting recruited by bigger schools, because they have funds available to do so (due to more collective donors), there’s no risk of penalties, and low barriers to transfer (due to one free transfer)

In the past, we wouldn’t have had to seriously worry about losing a Cooper, Brahmer, Orange, etc. Unfortunately, we very well may lose 1-3 of them after this year.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Like it or not, college sports (the revenue sports in particular) are a big business with a lot of money. The networks are making money. The schools are making money. The coaches are making money. The administrators are making money.

Why shouldn’t the players get a cut? Any reason besides “it’s not the way we did it before”?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Capitalism, man. They should get as much as they can get. That's the American way.

Also, I'm curious about this statement: "I'm starting to not like college sports as the big schools continue to be dominant."

What the heck have you been watching? Because if that's your complaint, I'm not sure that you've been paying attention to college sports.
The funny thing is I would say college football probably has about as much parity as I can remember it ever having this year. There are no unbeatable juggernauts out there.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
The funny thing is I would say college football probably has about as much parity as I can remember it ever having this year. There are no unbeatable juggernauts out there.
I’m not sure about that. From 2003-2022 we’ve had 11 different national champions. The 20 years prior we had 16 different national champions (granted some were split titles).

Parity has never been a thing in college football. But it seems to be trending worse, not better.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This is true for high school recruits and truly elite-level players willing to sit out a transfer year.

The difference now is above average players for schools are getting recruited by bigger schools, because they have funds available to do so (due to more collective donors), there’s no risk of penalties, and low barriers to transfer (due to one free transfer)

In the past, we wouldn’t have had to seriously worry about losing a Cooper, Brahmer, Orange, etc. Unfortunately, we very well may lose 1-3 of them after this year.
But is that because of NIL or just the ability to transfer now and not have to sit out the next season? I would say it more of the latter. If you were very good in the past, those schools would still pay you under the table, nothing has changed about that, you still got paid, now you just do not have to sit out the year to play.

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I’d argue it’s a combo. Probably 60% free transfer and 40% NIL. While players were paid under the table, there likely wasn’t as as much funds to entice transfers before as there is now. Because there was a risk of NCAA penalties and a stigma about paying athletes

With collectives now, there is an avenue for the average Joe to give to players, increasing donor pool and funds available. With additional dollars and lack of penalties, schools can go after a caliber of players they wouldn’t have in the past (like Craig McDonald, Young, Tampa, etc)

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

I can see your point. But the system is broke when it allows "charitable" collectives to pay Cade McNamara $600/hour to deliver meals to the elderly and hospitals.

Maybe the $600/hour could be spent on things that add value to society and Cade would deliver meals for free because he's a nice guy. I get it, the colleges are rolling in the dough, so why shouldn't the athletes. But NIL has evolved into a big d|ck contest for wealthy donors.

Gotta go, I think there's a unicorn knocking on my door!:)

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
No issue at all with players getting paid. But using this as a free agent system for the top schools is ruining CFB. To me, the best way to handle this is to bring back the 1 year sit out for transfers. And remove all exemptions to that rule. You wanna transfer and play immediately, go to FCS.