Amateur or Pro?

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I can see your point. But the system is broke when it allows "charitable" collectives to pay Cade McNamara $600/hour to deliver meals to the elderly and hospitals.

Maybe the $600/hour could be spent on things that add value to society and Cade would deliver meals for free because he's a nice guy. I get it, the colleges are rolling in the dough, so why shouldn't the athletes. But NIL has evolved into a big d|ck contest for wealthy donors.

Gotta go, I think there's a unicorn knocking on my door!:)
Someone getting compensated in exchange for performing a service isn't broken. That's how this economic system we live in, functions. The amount is immaterial. It's supply and demand.
People spend their money on all kinds of things that I find stupid or unworthy, but me not understanding the appeal doesn't make it wrong.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Someone getting compensated in exchange for performing a service isn't broken. That's how this economic system we live in, functions. The amount is immaterial. It's supply and demand.
People spend their money on all kinds of things that I find stupid or unworthy, but me not understanding the appeal doesn't make it wrong.
True.

But in this case they aren't getting compensated for the service they provide. Cade isn't getting paid to "play football". He's getting paid $600/hour to deliver meals to old people and hospitals. He's getting paid $600/hour for a task that is typically done by volunteers.

Reactions: Didley

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
True.

But in this case they aren't getting compensated for the service they provide. Cade isn't getting paid to "play football". He's getting paid $600/hour to deliver meals to old people and hospitals. He's getting paid $600/hour for a task that is typically done by volunteers.
That's still a service. And what that service is worth is exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Now, I agree that it's all window dressing for pay for play, but that doesn't change anything, as far as I'm concerned. People should be able to sell their labor for the maximum amount of money they can get for it, if they choose.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Like it or not, college sports (the revenue sports in particular) are a big business with a lot of money. The networks are making money. The schools are making money. The coaches are making money. The administrators are making money.

Why shouldn’t the players get a cut? Any reason besides “it’s not the way we did it before”?

The players should get a cut. That’s not how it’s working right now. The fans are paying the players, they aren’t getting “a cut” of anything from the giant corporations that control the sport.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
True.

Are they hiring? I have a car, and like old people! Time for a career change!

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
What will be interesting if CFB, or the schools involved, comes to the same conclusion that pro sports leagues did, and decide that promoting parity is good for business.

It is good for business if the big name teams win in sports. But the leagues also determined long ago that having most teams think they have a fighting chance from time to time is great for business.