Ames Lager

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anyone know if they have it Hy-Vee Prairie in Ankeny this morning? I konw they ran out yesterday and were supposed to get more.

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
This thread is a reminder that living in far northeast Iowa is like not even being in Iowa at all.

Which isn't always a bad thing, but it is in this case.
I think I read someone saw in Hy-Vee on Dodge Street in Dubuque. I would also bet Hy-Vee on Mt Vernon road in Cedar Rapids might have their hands on some by now...........other than that the options are slim for us easterners. Man, I hope Fareway strikes a deal soon.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Yeah I was confused when you had said that, cause my understanding was the process is like how Cycsk described. I know all the alcohol in Iowa has to go through the state distributors so it would be strange if breweries could pick/choose who gets what (& no idea why they would deny certain stores anyway). I know stores order liquor, assumed it was the same for beer.

I believe beer and liquor are slightly different. Liquor = clearinghouse. Beer = distributors.

It depends upon the nature of the brewery's license. There are different levels of license, and wider distribution costs more $$$. Some breweries have a more limited license, so they can't sell to distributors, but they can self-distribute. Or stores can go pick up directly. However, logistics on a budget is hard.

My understanding with Cedar Falls/Waterloo is that WestO simply doesn't use a distributor that serves the Cedar Valley, for whatever reason.

I spoke with the manager at Happy's and he said they'd be happy to carry it, but they simply don't distribute here. Yet.

Frankly, I doubt it's really been an issue for WestO with their relatively low volume, until NOW.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think I read someone saw in Hy-Vee on Dodge Street in Dubuque. I would also bet Hy-Vee on Mt Vernon road in Cedar Rapids might have their hands on some by now...........other than that the options are slim for us easterners. Man, I hope Fareway strikes a deal soon.
I'm 2 hours from Dubuque. There's still a lot of Iowa (on paper) north of Dubuque.

ISUPA2005

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2021
Anyone know if they have it Hy-Vee Prairie in Ankeny this morning? I konw they ran out yesterday and were supposed to get more.
The Ankeny blvd Hyvee had some this morning; however supply was getting low.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Stopped at the Pleasant Hill Hy-Vee on the way home last night around 4:30. There was both Ames Lager and Clone Fest in the cooler. There was also a bunch of Clone Fest by the registers at a display.

Ames Lager is a solid easy drinker. Perfect football beer.
Pleasant Hill HV is sold out now

gbjames5

Oct 4, 2017
I believe beer and liquor are slightly different. Liquor = clearinghouse. Beer = distributors.

It depends upon the nature of the brewery's license. There are different levels of license, and wider distribution costs more $$$. Some breweries have a more limited license, so they can't sell to distributors, but they can self-distribute. Or stores can go pick up directly. However, logistics on a budget is hard.

My understanding with Cedar Falls/Waterloo is that WestO simply doesn't use a distributor that serves the Cedar Valley, for whatever reason.

I spoke with the manager at Happy's and he said they'd be happy to carry it, but they simply don't distribute here. Yet.

Frankly, I doubt it's really been an issue for WestO with their relatively low volume, until NOW.
Heard the same thing at Waverly Hy Vee on Wednesday. They looked it up and said they didn't have a distributor covering the area. Maybe they'll find one if others walk out without buying anything? They did have the Clone Fest.

jaj040

Nut Cup Wearer
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 21, 2015
For the Cedar Falls clones, Happys had a space on the shelf for Clonefest, but it was all gone. There was still some Hawkoberfest though.
CF hyvee had a good amount of Clonefest and the Vodka.

• Informative
Reactions: BACyclone

Frog

May 6, 2021
Checked Davenport Hy-Vee liquor store yesterday and no Ames lager. Said they have been asked but wont be getting in in Quad Cities. I asked that she ask manager for me as another vote anyway. She said she would note it and let manager know.

I did get last 12 pack of Clonefest and it is good.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Murphy picked Swarm. Downs picked Ames Lager lol. I think Fales liked one the Octoberfest beers
Fales picked both October fests as his favorite. I think he ranked the Hawk (#4) over the Clone (#5), but he said they tasted exactly the same and it was confirmed that the Clonefest and Hawktoberfest are the exact same beer, just different packaging.

• Sad
Reactions: BACyclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Didn't see any at Lincoln Center HV. Picked up two sixers at Cyclone Liquors along with some Climbing Kites (will cross post this).

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
Fales picked both October fests as his favorite. I think he ranked the Hawk (#4) over the Clone (#5), but he said they tasted exactly the same and it was confirmed that the Clonefest and Hawktoberfest are the exact same beer, just different packaging.
He did pick Ames Lager over Swarm though, important distinction! :otz:

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020

No one confirmed that they are the same beer. The gentlemen on the radio kept saying that, but I didn't hear anyone from Backpocket confirm it. Clone Fest is a fest bier and Hawktoberfest is a marzen. Those are not the same thing, even if they're in the same family of beers.

Help Support Us

Become a patron