Ames Restaurant Question

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I'm getting in on the Old Country Buffet thing a little late but I found it amusing that the guy who owns Hickory park also owns a constuction company and happens to be a racist *****. Hickory Park Construction is the company doing the work on all this. I met him one day at work because he was hired out to do some top soil striping for the dredge that sits at the corner of Hwy 30 and I-35. I got to listen to a half an hour of him talking about how stupid asians are and this guy who's opening this stuff is the dumbest asian of all. After hearing that for half an hour it made me not want to go back to Hickory Park for quite a while.

I don't think that it's a surprise that that guy is a little weird. He lives right next door to the restaurant. And he has a huge success there, but refuses to franchise it out. He could take that place to Omaha or Cedar Rapids and do just as well.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
I'm getting in on the Old Country Buffet thing a little late but I found it amusing that the guy who owns Hickory park also owns a constuction company and happens to be a racist *****. Hickory Park Construction is the company doing the work on all this. I met him one day at work because he was hired out to do some top soil striping for the dredge that sits at the corner of Hwy 30 and I-35. I got to listen to a half an hour of him talking about how stupid asians are and this guy who's opening this stuff is the dumbest asian of all. After hearing that for half an hour it made me not want to go back to Hickory Park for quite a while.

Wheelock?

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I don't think that it's a surprise that that guy is a little weird. He lives right next door to the restaurant. And he has a huge success there, but refuses to franchise it out. He could take that place to Omaha or Cedar Rapids and do just as well.

He is a control freak. Rumor is that he isn't even leaving it to Jason, his son, he is leaving it to Jason's ex-wife to run when he dies.

There is a back door between his house and the restaurant. He eats his cereal there every morning. Or used to.

I have had many close people that have worked there in the past.

He is also very sexist. If you notice, there are never women in the kitchen. If there are, the old man will only let them do salads or to gos and not cook.

One good thing, doesn't he donates to ISU? The football team used to eat there on Friday afternoons during the season. I don't know if that still happens or not.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
He is also very sexist. If you notice, there are never women in the kitchen. If there are, the old man will only let them do salads or to gos and not cook.

WRONG!

When I worked there, in the kitchen, my boss was a woman (she ALWAYS worked back in the kitchen getting food ready/cooked)... yes a woman was the kitchen manager.

Having women helping out front and (mainly) men in the back doesn't make you a sexist .... no where near it. It is amazing how rumors keep going.....

This does make him a private business owner with an atmosphere and style HE wants to provide.

- keep.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
WRONG!

When I worked there, in the kitchen, my boss was a woman (she ALWAYS worked back in the kitchen getting food ready/cooked)... yes a woman was the kitchen manager.

Having women helping out front and (mainly) men in the back doesn't make you a sexist .... no where near it. It is amazing how rumors keep going.....

This does make him a private business owner with an atmosphere and style HE wants to provide.

- keep.

You might be older than I am. But, I am RIGHT!!!!! I have a girl friend who worked there (in the kitchen area, but was never allowed to cook). She is my best friend. The old man was an *** to her all the time. Plus, I worked there and know his step-daughter. Also, my husband has worked there and most of my good college friends.

Take a poll of people who have worked there, they will agree with me.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm getting in on the Old Country Buffet thing a little late but I found it amusing that the guy who owns Hickory park also owns a constuction company and happens to be a racist *****. . . . I got to listen to a half an hour of him talking about how stupid asians are and this guy who's opening this stuff is the dumbest asian of all. After hearing that for half an hour it made me not want to go back to Hickory Park for quite a while.

Apparently this guy has never heard of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Sony, Samsung, Yamaha, Toshiba, Nintendo, and the list goes on...

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
him defining who works where doesn't alone make him sexist (edit)... Which was your original post about him. please don't keep moving the mark.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Having eaten at Red Robin while living in Vegas I will have to back up the idea of having one in Ames. Their burgers are freaking awesome. I had the one with an egg and bacon on it I think. I only wish we'd started eating there sooner before we moved.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
him defining who works where doesn't alone make him sexist (edit)... Which was your original post about him. please don't keep moving the mark.

Maybe not, if the person judging is a sexist guy too.

He was nice enough to me. I have been in his house and etc. But, he is racist and sexist. I think even his children would say so.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
WRONG!

- keep.

I assume that you worked at the old restaurant. They haven't had a woman kitchen manager since i worked there about a decade ago, around the time the new place opened.

He is definitly a racist and a sexist. I worked every job possible in the kithen in the almost 2 years i was there, except salad bar or the fryers. the old man had no problem telling a manager to move a "colored"(his word not mine) person to a different "easier" positiondishes/warming buns) cause we were busy at the time, yet there was nothing wrong with what he was doing.

He may be a private business man, but that doenst mean he has the right to do whatever he wants with the employees. Every employee should have the right to move up to another position if they so choose. Maybe i wanted to be a server, that'd never happen.

Being a private business owner is a title that gives you free range to be a **** to anyone and everyone around you.
"Wow, that guy just beat a black guy, a gay guy, and his sister." "That's ok" said his friend..."He's a private business owner.":eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I assume that you worked at the old restaurant. They haven't had a woman kitchen manager since i worked there about a decade ago, around the time the new place opened.

He is definitly a racist and a sexist. I worked every job possible in the kithen in the almost 2 years i was there, except salad bar or the fryers. the old man had no problem telling a manager to move a "colored"(his word not mine) person to a different "easier" positiondishes/warming buns) cause we were busy at the time, yet there was nothing wrong with what he was doing.

He may be a private business man, but that doenst mean he has the right to do whatever he wants with the employees. Every employee should have the right to move up to another position if they so choose. Maybe i wanted to be a server, that'd never happen.

Being a private business owner is a title that gives you free range to be a **** to anyone and everyone around you.
"Wow, that guy just beat a black guy, a gay guy, and his sister." "That's ok" said his friend..."He's a private business owner.":eek:

again, the mark keeps moving.

He has, since it started , had women up front and men in the back (that didn't come out too well). And since he started business that way he has stuck to that business principle. THAT IS NOT BEING A SEXIST.

The individuals stories mentioned are disturbing. And I wouldn't want to be judged by some of my individual acts too, as I am sure you wouldn't too.

The point was made he was sexist for where he wanted staff to work based on sex to put you up front or in the back. and that is wrong. That bit of information is flat wrong, that does not make you a sexist. That is the only part of these posts I am referencing since it started that way and was the point of the first post.

I don't like being called a sexist (even indirectly) in a public forum when the mark keeps moving. So I am asking that post be edited or deleted ASAP, so the right thing can be done first without others correcting it. Or I will recommend that this thread has run it's course.

-keep.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
He is a control freak. Rumor is that he isn't even leaving it to Jason, his son, he is leaving it to Jason's ex-wife to run when he dies.

There is a back door between his house and the restaurant. He eats his cereal there every morning. Or used to.

I have had many close people that have worked there in the past.

One good thing, doesn't he donates to ISU? The football team used to eat there on Friday afternoons during the season. I don't know if that still happens or not.

I know that Mac always took recruits there on their visits. Not sure if Chizik does as well. I do know that Lynch BBQ people are huge ISU supporters. They do all of the catering for things like the Spring Game or the CGC Scrimmage.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
I am a women, and I believe his behavior is sexist. I think I have a right to my opinion as well as other people having theirs.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I hate racists and sexists. I also dislike people being tagged as one of those things just because they don't believe another person is racist/sexist.

I wonder if those that dislike this guy's actions so much have ever called him on it. With the opinions expressed here, I would assume so. But if not, simply allowing the behavior to continue is nothing short of being an enabler for such poor actions.

A final pondering...is this thread about racism/sexism or about some good eatery in Cyclone Mecca?

keepngoal

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
^^ well said.

with that said, my restaurant of choice is TacoTime. I have been eating there, faithfully since I have had season FB tickets (1973)

-keep.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The individuals stories mentioned are disturbing. And I wouldn't want to be judged by some of my individual acts too, as I am sure you wouldn't too.

If you can't be judged by your individual actions, what can you be judged on?

-Your honor, I admit to robbing that bank. But, don't judge me on my individual act. Consider all the times that I've been in banks that I didn't rob.

Last edited:

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
^^ well said.

with that said, my restaurant of choice is TacoTime. I have been eating there, faithfully since I have had season FB tickets (1973)

-keep.

Hear hear! Interesting fact: Taco Time in is huge out west and Ames is one of the few outside of Washington, Oregon and California. I recall a time when they had a franchise map when I was visiting Washington and there was one lonesome pin in the middle of Iowa.