Ames Restaurant Question

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
I never heard the official reason that the plug got pulled on the one they were planning? Did anyone else? I love the pad thai!!

Was there a legitimate possibility of HH coming to Ames? That's news to me.

I love Olde Main. They will be selling bottled beer soon so tell your friends and family to support an Ames original. I'll try to have a keg on tap for tailgates this fall.

CyGal

Mar 1, 2006
WDM
I love HuHot, and I wouldn't be the slightest bit suprised if they put one in Ames soon. It always happens that way. We move out of town, and the town does something good. From paving roads to putting in MUCH needed stop lights. Adding one of my favorite restaurants would be right up there on the list! That being said, I have no idea if there really will be one put in any time soon. Would be nice though.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Was there a legitimate possibility of HH coming to Ames? That's news to me.

I love Olde Main. They will be selling bottled beer soon so tell your friends and family to support an Ames original. I'll try to have a keg on tap for tailgates this fall.

From what I understand from a contractor friend, they were ready to begin building, and something happened with the deal. I may be wrong, but I thought it was going to be up near Pizza Ranch?

Olde Main has the BEST lunch alfredo. I love the atmosphere in that place, too!!

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Is HuHot Mongolian Grill the same thing as HiHo Mongolian Grill? Because in Davenport it's HiHo.

EDIT: Apparently not. I looked it up online and Hi-Ho doesn't even have a website. Actually, I prefer Genghis Grill to Hi-Ho anyway (although Hi-Ho is very good as well)

Last edited:

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Hardee's (it's mostly nasty stuff, but I miss having a Frisco Burger now and then)

Back in the early '90's the Hardees in Ames was the only fast food place open after the bars' closed, the line was always longer than hell, but $4.23 for a Frisco and curly fries...I still remember the actual price.

Landshark

Jan 23, 2007
Ankeny, IA
From what I understand from a contractor friend, they were ready to begin building, and something happened with the deal. I may be wrong, but I thought it was going to be up near Pizza Ranch?

Olde Main has the BEST lunch alfredo. I love the atmosphere in that place, too!!

Only the city of Ames could screw that deal up!!!

I really think Jamie Pollard should take over the city of Ames, Ames is an embarrassment to ISU.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
It seems this is becoming a wishlist for restaurants in Ames. Here's mine...

HuHot (LOVE that stuff)
Sonic
Red Robin
Godfather's (Bring it back! Dine in, please. No delivery-only places.)
A good steakhouse (chain or not--as long as it's good, I don't care!)
Hardee's (it's mostly nasty stuff, but I miss having a Frisco Burger now and then)

Have all these in Omaha although Hardees is holding on by a thread. Hardee yses all Angus.

Omaha has Macaroni Grill, PF Chang, Fridays, Cabreras, and Cheescake Factory also.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Buffalo Wild Wings and Texas Roadhouse... Or if anyone has ever spent some time down south, an Ale House or a Sonny's...

Omaha has several Buffalo Wild Wings and a couple Texas Roadhouse. CF has a Roadhouse also. Reason I mention this is Ames might get any of these places at any time. Other good chains in town are Outback, Mimi's Melting Pot, Ted's Montana Grille, and Charlestons. I have heard that Omaha has more restaurants per captia than all other American towns. Ames will see more chains soon.

I would like to see a Chick Fillet somewhere in the area.

Last edited:

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
It seems this is becoming a wishlist for restaurants in Ames. Here's mine...

HuHot (LOVE that stuff)
Sonic
Red Robin
Godfather's (Bring it back! Dine in, please. No delivery-only places.)
A good steakhouse (chain or not--as long as it's good, I don't care!)

HuHot-Good for a saturday or sunday buffet when your hungover as crap.
Sonic-Just rocks, and the commercials are stupid.
Godfathers-I love that place
BK and Arbys on the West side of town, I hate going to East Ames to get that food.
Hardees-Those Carl Jrs are so greatg, I love the frisco burgers eventhough they are horrible for you, also love the the cinnmon raisin biscuits in the morning.

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
A few weeks back I was in Ames and there was a new buffet restaurant going up south of Old Chicago. I remember taking note of it but don't remember what it was. If its open I was going to try it out before the game tonight. Anyone know?

Another big happening in Ames. Nothing like getting excited about a new buffet in town.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think that we'll see some new restaurants pop up when the new mall gets built...both around the mall and on 13th approaching it. We'll probably also see some go up around the renovated North Grand. Here are my wants:

1.Buffalo Wild Wings - Awesome wings, good sportsbar atmosphere
2.Dave and Busters - I think a place like this would go over HUGE in a college town
3.Red Robin - Best burgers ever
4.Olive Garden - I'm not a huge fan, but it would siphon off a lot of traffic
5.HuHot - I love that place!
6.Carraba's - MUCH better Italian chain than Olive Garden (other options would be Johnny's Italian Steakhouse or Biaggi's)
7.Chili's - I can't believe Ames doesn't have one yet
8.Steak n Shake - Same as #7
9.Outback Steakhouse - I prefer the Open Flame in Gilbert, but Outback is good.
10.Schlotzski's Deli - This may be the best sandwich ever. Schlotzsky's - Home of The Original® Sandwich

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Omaha has several Buffalo Wild Wings and a couple Texas Roadhouse. CF has a Roadhouse also. Reason I mention this is Ames might get any of these places at any time. Other good chains in town are Outback, Mimi's Melting Pot, Ted's Montana Grille, and Charlestons. I have heard that Omaha has more restaurants per captia than all other American towns. Ames will see more chains soon.

I would like to see a Chick Fillet somewhere in the area.

Isn't there a Chik Fil A in the Memorial Union?

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
8.Steak n Shake - Same as #7

Interestingly enough, Des Moines does not have a Steak n Shake either. My girlfriend's brother loved the place so much that he thought he would open one up in Des Moines. I think it would make a killing as well. However, he found out you need $1.5M in net worth to even open one up and that's not including the price of property!

mjlane

Apr 21, 2006
10.Schlotzski's Deli - This may be the best sandwich ever.

Only if you like gray roast beef and their sorry excuse for sourdough bread. I ate at one in Omaha a while back and almost got sick while I was eating it. Oh, and their cookies are terrible too. Overall, one of the worst places I have ever eaten.

I know it's pretty much just in Omaha and a couple locations in Kansas, but Pepperjax Grill is very good for a quick bite to eat. Philly sandwiches, rice bowls, giant wraps (think Pancheros) and they cook the meat and veggies on an open grill right in front of you. If anyone is going to be in Omaha any time soon, definitely give it a try.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
Only if you like gray roast beef and their sorry excuse for sourdough bread. I ate at one in Omaha a while back and almost got sick while I was eating it. Oh, and their cookies are terrible too. Overall, one of the worst places I have ever eaten.

I know it's pretty much just in Omaha and a couple locations in Kansas, but Pepperjax Grill is very good for a quick bite to eat. Philly sandwiches, rice bowls, giant wraps (think Pancheros) and they cook the meat and veggies on an open grill right in front of you. If anyone is going to be in Omaha any time soon, definitely give it a try.

I lived in Omaha for quite awhile before moving back to Ames. I was going to say Pepperjax too. That place would make a killing on Welch Ave...best philly's ever! Especially the chicken philly.

As for Schlotzsky's, I always ate at the one on Center in Omaha. Never had a bad experience. Awesome bread. I don't know how you can knock their sourdough. I like "The Original"...no roast beef on that one...only ham and salami. Guess I never tried their roast beef.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I'm getting in on the Old Country Buffet thing a little late but I found it amusing that the guy who owns Hickory park also owns a constuction company and happens to be a racist *****. Hickory Park Construction is the company doing the work on all this. I met him one day at work because he was hired out to do some top soil striping for the dredge that sits at the corner of Hwy 30 and I-35. I got to listen to a half an hour of him talking about how stupid asians are and this guy who's opening this stuff is the dumbest asian of all. After hearing that for half an hour it made me not want to go back to Hickory Park for quite a while.