Ames Restaurant Question

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
True OCB story. I am in St Louis for work. I am driving to a client site when a co-worker of mine decides he has to use the restroom, and I mean quick. First place I see is the OCB. I pull into the lot and he heads into the place.

Like 30 seconds later he comes out and says "Go somewhere else".

I say "Was the bathroom that nasty?"

He says "I didn't make it that far, the place smelled so bad I couldn't even think about going to the can there."

The guy I am talking about is not a prude mind you. OCB is just plain nasty.

Cydar

Apr 2, 2006
Kind of reminds me of the South Park Episode "Grey Dawn" where all the old folks had to get to Country Kitchen Buffet! lol

I was hoping we were getting a City Wok so I could have some City Chicken or City Beef...

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I would think some of the Asian buffets are a little suspect. We have a Vietnamese Buffet on West Center Road in Omaha - lots of stories on ratings.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Des Moines:

hrcm.jpg

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Yah, that's what Ames needs more asian restaurants. Maybe we could put up some more apartments too!

Okay now that the sarcasm is out. We need a good steakhouse. Maybe an Outback or a grill your own type. Maybe Rube's would open another.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Okay now that the sarcasm is out. We need a good steakhouse. Maybe an Outback or a grill your own type. Maybe Rube's would open another.

I've never understood why people like grill your own steak restaurants. If I wanted to cook my own I would have stayed home and paid a whole lot less.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
It seems this is becoming a wishlist for restaurants in Ames. Here's mine...

HuHot (LOVE that stuff)
Sonic
Red Robin
Godfather's (Bring it back! Dine in, please. No delivery-only places.)
A good steakhouse (chain or not--as long as it's good, I don't care!)
Hardee's (it's mostly nasty stuff, but I miss having a Frisco Burger now and then)

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
A good steakhouse (chain or not--as long as it's good, I don't care!)

If you want to make the trip to Nevada, the Branding Iron is a new grill-your-own. Really, really good. A little pricy (about the same as an Outback).

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
If you want to make the trip to Nevada, the Branding Iron is a new grill-your-own. Really, really good. A little pricy (about the same as an Outback).

Open Flame is my favorite. It is in Gilbert. We would always go there when we lived in Ames.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Open Flame is my favorite. It is in Gilbert. We would always go there when we lived in Ames.

Yup, it reminds me a lot of the Open Flame (which we love), just less smoky (since it's not really a "bar" yet). They have some Old Main beer, too.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
Yup, it reminds me a lot of the Open Flame (which we love), just less smoky (since it's not really a "bar" yet). They have some Old Main beer, too.

I haven't yet found an Old Main beer that I like, but I still have a few to try. For those of you who've tried it what do you like?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Now that's something I could get excited about.

I never heard the official reason that the plug got pulled on the one they were planning? Did anyone else? I love the pad thai!!

As far as Old Main beers - I'm not a big beer drinker, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Dinky. They have a chocolate porter at Christmastime called "Reindeer Fuel" that I guess is the best thing ever.