An Actual Positive Column From ESPN

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
Per Ubben:
Cyclones can capture another moment - Big 12 Blog - ESPN

By now, if you don't know, you haven't been paying attention.

The only thing most people know about Iowa State football is how proud coach Paul Rhoads is to be coaching there.

Sure, there's more to the Cyclones, like running back Alexander Robinson and quarterback Austen Arnaud and Big 12 Newcomer of the Year David Sims, a safety.

Or its new group of linebackers that have been racking up tackles, taking interceptions into the end zone and earning Big 12 Player of the Week honors.

But mostly, any word association that follows "Iowa State" and "football" is going to start with Rhoads and his emotional locker room speech, even if Paul Rhoads is proud to coach his team on days it doesn't beat Nebraska. Which is natural. YouTube works like that.

Saturday, Iowa State will get its first real chance at an encore.

No. 10 Utah is coming to Ames, where the Cyclones are back to work after a confidence-building 52-38 win over Texas Tech. Utah has feasted on cupcakes for the past three weeks after needing overtime to rid themselves of Pitt, who has since struggled to a 2-2 start with a blowout loss to Miami and no quality wins.

In short, Utah doesn't look the part of a team ready to roll into Ames and leave with a blowout victory.

If the Cyclones can assume the role of non-AQ killer -- three teams from outside BCS conferences currently rank in the top 10 -- they'll give America reason to notice them once again, almost a year removed from a 9-7 upset win over Nebraska.

"It felt as good as the UNI win and the NIU win," Rhoads said of Saturday's win over Texas Tech, which moved Iowa State to 3-2 and 1-1 in conference play. "They're all extremely important. You work so hard all year long recruiting, coaching, scheming, training, motivating and to get a victory at this level is very important. We were thrilled with it, enjoyed it, celebrated it and we're moving on to our Utah preparation."

That may be the case inside the locker room, but if that preparation is good enough to beat Utah, the Cyclones can expect more attention and for the second consecutive season under Rhoads, a signature win.

And this time, with what looks like an even more improved team, they might have a few more signature wins left.

Last edited:

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Here's hoping ISU can meet or exceed expectations in this game. I said it in a different thread before the Iowa game, but a win over Utah would be better for ISU in the eyes of national media than a win over Iowa.

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless
Here's hoping ISU can meet or exceed expectations in this game. I said it in a different thread before the Iowa game, but a win over Utah would be better for ISU in the eyes of national media than a win over Iowa.

How so?

BirdOfWar

May 3, 2010
Central Iowa

IMO if we beat Iowa, no matter their ranking, people always chalk it up to a rivalry game and we don't get respect for being a decent team. If we would happen to beat a team like Utah then people can't really use those excuses for why we won.

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
IMO if we beat Iowa, no matter their ranking, people always chalk it up to a rivalry game and we don't get respect for being a decent team. If we would happen to beat a team like Utah then people can't really use those excuses for why we won.

I would see them using the excuse of "Utah isn't from an AQ conference, therefore inferior"

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I would see them using the excuse of "Utah isn't from an AQ conference, therefore inferior"

If this was their first year in the rankings maybe...but Utah has a proven track record. I said it in another thread and i'll say it again: you can't judge a team by it's opponents. Can't wait it should be a damn good game. Utah had better be ready. If we could find a way to get up 24-0 on them like we did with Tech. I have a feeling they wouldn't ever come back to tie it or go ahead. We would just run away with it.

Jun 14, 2010
Bingo, not to mention the combined losing record of teams they have beaten this year.

That if often true of Iowa's opponents at the time of the ISU game. Also, Iowa is usually not ranked in the Top-10.
Beating Utah will turn more heads than beating Iowa.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
Don't fear it -- embrace it.

This is a culture that Rhoads will need to change... and this game is a good chance to do that.

Not gonna lie... I'm trying not hype myself up for it either... been burned one to many times before.

I think if anyone can change this, it'll be Rhoads, but it will take time

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron