An honest discussion: what happened to Greg McDermott at ISU?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
If you have ill will towards Greg McDermott, who by ALL accounts is a great human being, because you are stuck that he didn’t win games at Iowa State FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, yeah you are probably a miserable person.

The really odd thing about his tenure was everyone knew he could coached but could he recruit? He recruited great but couldn’t coach the talent.

It was a good hire at the time, it just didn’t work out. It happens a lot.

Bingo, well stated. It worked out well for both parties,

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I seem to recall one year that ISU had Big 12 preseason (1st team voted in guys?) Brackins and Gilstrap but were picked like 8th within the Big 12. That's a weird contradiction, but I don't think those teams had any depth really. I don't remember a lot about the McDermott years. I'm curious to those in the know if he just wouldn't let his top players loose with some "go make plays/playground style" of ball.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Chizik was not a bad hire. He's is the only reason CPR had any success.
Chizik was an incredibly important hire for ISU.

In the fall of 2006 ISU sends out a letter to season ticket holders saying, we're gonna need a lot of heavy lifting from you going forward if ISU has any chance to compete.
2006 FB team proceeds to lose a ton of blowouts with a bare cupboard. Going out and hiring Chizik showed JP was serious about ISU FB. That hire helped provoke a lot of people to shell out more for ISU FB. By Rhoads 2nd year or so, massive stadium upgrades were happening. Rhoads also played a key role, by getting some big wins and going to bowls, but I always felt JP needed a big splash hire when he got Chizik.

I'll go to my grave swearing that the ESPN crawler said one morning that we were getting Brian Kelly as HC instead of Chizik.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
McDermott at the time didn’t know how to handle a superstar player compared to the rest of the team. He was used to coaching mid major guys. Brackens and Wesley Johnson were super stars and he treated them different. Just bad team dynamics

• Agree
Reactions: Jayshellberg

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
I don’t think Greg was prepared for how the game is played, not on the court, but off the court. Further, he hadn’t earned enough points to get players to buy into his system.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Wrong coach, at the wrong school, at the wrong time. Coach Mac came to ISU after the AD thought we needed direction in the program, under Morgan, it seemed like the players were running the program, and Morgan had trouble with the recruiting and scheduling scandal, that turned out to be nothing.

McDermott really struggled moving up from the MVC to the B12, he was great at recruiting, but horrible at getting them to stay, we were always losing players at the end of the season. I am just not sure he was ready for a job at a high conference when he took it. Not signing Barnes was the end of the line for him, if he could have signed him, then he might have been able to survive. When Barnes decided to go to UNC, McDermott knew he was finished at ISU and no sense having his son play one year for him and move on, so he sent him to UNI. Remember his son really blew up at Creigton, no one thought he would be nearly as good a player as he was. Glad to see him have the success he had; I just wish it had been at ISU.

If I remember about his son. His son committed to UNI but never made it on campus. When Greg got the Creighton job, Doug recommitted from UNI and committed to Creighton. I think Doug’s senior high school year was Greg’s last at ISU.

Reactions: joefrog

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

In the fall of 2006 ISU sends out a letter to season ticket holders saying, we're gonna need a lot of heavy lifting from you going forward if ISU has any chance to compete.
2006 FB team proceeds to lose a ton of blowouts with a bare cupboard. Going out and hiring Chizik showed JP was serious about ISU FB. That hire helped provoke a lot of people to shell out more for ISU FB. By Rhoads 2nd year or so, massive stadium upgrades were happening. Rhoads also played a key role, by getting some big wins and going to bowls, but I always felt JP needed a big splash hire when he got Chizik.

I'll go to my grave swearing that the ESPN crawler said one morning that we were getting Brian Kelly as HC instead of Chizik.

Yep. Chizik was the national assistant coach of the year and Pollard got him to come to Iowa State, which was a dumpster fire outside of a few years under Mac. It was an amazing initial hire. But, as others have said, the fit was terrible. I don’t think he would have ever worked out here but it did set the stage for the rise of the program.

Reactions: joefrog

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

It did say that. I think Keith Murphy even reported that Kelly was guy. They also reported that Rob Jeter was hired after Morgan got let go.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
GMac did ISU a HUGE favor…. will never dislike that guy at all. Anyone that does dislike him doesn’t get it IMO.

Reactions: NWICY

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Yep. Chizik was the national assistant coach of the year and Pollard got him to come to Iowa State, which was a dumpster fire outside of a few years under Mac. It was an amazing initial hire. But, as others have said, the fit was terrible. I don’t think he would have ever worked out here but it did set the stage for the rise of the program.
Pollard's dogged commitment to dragging ISU football into the modern era is going to be his lasting legacy. Facilities, stadium and amenities, and learning from his own hiring mistakes led to some pretty consistent gains in the program. And it was done without sacrificing the quality of all the other sports on campus as well.

We're fortunate to have had this go the way it did, because it was never guaranteed.

CloneFan65

Apr 11, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Wrong coach, at the wrong school, at the wrong time. Coach Mac came to ISU after the AD thought we needed direction in the program, under Morgan, it seemed like the players were running the program, and Morgan had trouble with the recruiting and scheduling scandal, that turned out to be nothing.

McDermott really struggled moving up from the MVC to the B12, he was great at recruiting, but horrible at getting them to stay, we were always losing players at the end of the season. I am just not sure he was ready for a job at a high conference when he took it. Not signing Barnes was the end of the line for him, if he could have signed him, then he might have been able to survive. When Barnes decided to go to UNC, McDermott knew he was finished at ISU and no sense having his son play one year for him and move on, so he sent him to UNI. Remember his son really blew up at Creigton, no one thought he would be nearly as good a player as he was. Glad to see him have the success he had; I just wish it had been at ISU.
I have a feeling it may have been the other way around. McDermott at this point saw the writing on the wall and knew that he wasn't going to be coaching at ISU in 2010/11. That may be why his son and Barnes, who was close to Coach McDermott, didn't commit to ISU. They knew Greg wasn't going to be the coach. When Doug committed to UNI, I assumed he didn't want to play for his dad, which I would understand. But when he switched his commitment to Creighton after his dad's hire, it made me think he didn't commit to ISU because he knew his dad wasn't going to be there in 2010/11. Greg McDermott was a class act at ISU, and I'll always root for him.

Reactions: Acylum and rosshm16

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I have a feeling it may have been the other way around. McDermott at this point saw the writing on the wall and knew that he wasn't going to be coaching at ISU in 2010/11. That may be why his son and Barnes, who was close to Coach McDermott, didn't commit to ISU. They knew Greg wasn't going to be the coach. When Doug committed to UNI, I assumed he didn't want to play for his dad, which I would understand. But when he switched his commitment to Creighton after his dad's hire, it made me think he didn't commit to ISU because he knew his dad wasn't going to be there in 2010/11. Greg McDermott was a class act at ISU, and I'll always root for him.
I agree and that is why I said so in my post. He knew that his time at ISU was going to be over at the end of the next season, luckily for him the Creigton job opened up and allowed him to slide down to a level he was more comfortable with and a free start. He has done a great job at Creigton, I just wish had that much success at ISU.

Reactions: CloneFan65

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
giphy.gif

• Winner

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Pollard's dogged commitment to dragging ISU football into the modern era is going to be his lasting legacy. Facilities, stadium and amenities, and learning from his own hiring mistakes led to some pretty consistent gains in the program. And it was done without sacrificing the quality of all the other sports on campus as well.

We're fortunate to have had this go the way it did, because it was never guaranteed.
We aren't far off from being Washington State.

Think about that.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
If McDermott lands Barnes and his son, he gets another 4 years almost guaranteed.

I don't think Barnes was ever coming to ISU though. NC offer was always the prize he wanted.

• Agree

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I seem to recall one year that ISU had Big 12 preseason (1st team voted in guys?) Brackins and Gilstrap but were picked like 8th within the Big 12. That's a weird contradiction, but I don't think those teams had any depth really. I don't remember a lot about the McDermott years. I'm curious to those in the know if he just wouldn't let his top players loose with some "go make plays/playground style" of ball.

I moved out of state the year McDermott came to ISU and kind of lost track of them overall for basketball for his entire tenure and really didn't pay much attention to college basketball in general during that time, which was kind of weird.

I don't believe they were on ESPN or ESPN2 much or maybe they were still on the local affiliates. When I did catch a game they looked disjointed and didn't seem to have much of a purpose. I just really didn't care about it.

Reactions: Omaha Cy

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
If I remember about his son. His son committed to UNI but never made it on campus. When Greg got the Creighton job, Doug recommitted from UNI and committed to Creighton. I think Doug’s senior high school year was Greg’s last at ISU.
Pretty sure he signed and Jacobsen had to ok his release.

Last edited:

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Greg McDermott allowed me to obtain what I consider elite basketball season ticket location at least for the average person.

I started out with half price tickets with a $50 donation for those grads under 30. I had seats in the corner about 10 rows up. Because of bad basketball we then moved along the sides about 10 rows up. And then even more bad basketball and we moved to row 3. Obviously I pay a lot more for the tickets and the donation now. But because I put in the time, I have much better seats than I would have if I had just started buying them in 2010.

So I guess I’m saying that because of McDermott I donate $1500 to sit in row 3 of section 213 instead of donating $1500 to sit in row 12.

And that is why you never get rid of season tickets and an occasional slump is a good way to improve your lot in life.

Reactions: DarkStar