An honest discussion: what happened to Greg McDermott at ISU?

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Wrong coach, at the wrong school, at the wrong time. Coach Mac came to ISU after the AD thought we needed direction in the program, under Morgan, it seemed like the players were running the program, and Morgan had trouble with the recruiting and scheduling scandal, that turned out to be nothing.

McDermott really struggled moving up from the MVC to the B12, he was great at recruiting, but horrible at getting them to stay, we were always losing players at the end of the season. I am just not sure he was ready for a job at a high conference when he took it. Not signing Barnes was the end of the line for him, if he could have signed him, then he might have been able to survive. When Barnes decided to go to UNC, McDermott knew he was finished at ISU and no sense having his son play one year for him and move on, so he sent him to UNI. Remember his son really blew up at Creigton, no one thought he would be nearly as good a player as he was. Glad to see him have the success he had; I just wish it had been at ISU.
If you watched the ESPN game against the Chicago team, you saw McDermott shine. He was the best player on the floor among 6 D1 recruits and two McD AAs. At that point, I knew he was going to be great

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Greg McDermott allowed me to obtain what I consider elite basketball season ticket location at least for the average person.

I started out with half price tickets with a $50 donation for those grads under 30. I had seats in the corner about 10 rows up. Because of bad basketball we then moved along the sides about 10 rows up. And then even more bad basketball and we moved to row 3. Obviously I pay a lot more for the tickets and the donation now. But because I put in the time, I have much better seats than I would have if I had just started buying them in 2010.

So I guess I’m saying that because of McDermott I donate $1500 to sit in row 3 of section 213 instead of donating $1500 to sit in row 12.

And that is why you never get rid of season tickets and an occasional slump is a good way to improve your lot in life.
We had those same seats during McDermott years but career took us away from Ames. Have been season ticket holders over a decade now and got a nice upgrade in location by riding out the Prohm years

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
If you have ill will towards Greg McDermott, who by ALL accounts is a great human being, because you are stuck that he didn’t win games at Iowa State FIFTEEN YEARS AGO, yeah you are probably a miserable person.

The really odd thing about his tenure was everyone knew he could coached but could he recruit? He recruited great but couldn’t coach the talent.

It was a good hire at the time, it just didn’t work out. It happens a lot.
Yep, every yr I thought we would be good but I was disappointed.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron