An Interesting Stat

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
That should not be buried in the post game threads, is this:

At 8:37 left the score was ISU 64, OSU 59.

With :59 left the score was ISU 76, OSU 72, which was right after they scored.

So in the final 7:38 of the game we scored 12 points to OSU's 13.

Not sure how many times someone can say this but we did not sit on the ball.

That game was lost because of a bad series by Ejim with the press and a charge call with 7 seconds left. Not because of some hokey conservative offense.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008

That game was lost because of a bad series by Ejim with the press and a charge call with 7 seconds left. Not because of some hokey conservative offense.

Merge with McCarney thread.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
WE WIN IF WE SCORE 40 IN THE LAST 6 MINUTES!!!

Obviously, one more basket in that stretch wins the game.
This was a game we should have won. People are frustrated, and mostly because our hopes are high.

I give the whole board a pass for whatever happens tonight.

But, d4, you're right. We were still running a real offense.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006

I think maybe the biggest play was when JVB lost the ball out of bounds after our 2nd or 3rd offensive rebound at about 2min. I think we were maybe up 6, could have used at least another 20 sec and possibly increased the lead, instead OSU comes down and cuts into the lead. Grab the ball with two hands! Do not try to control it by dribbling

d4nim4l

Apr 23, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
I think maybe the biggest play was when JVB lost the ball out of bounds after our 2nd or 3rd offensive rebound at about 2min. I think we were maybe up 6, could have used at least another 20 sec and possibly increased the lead, instead OSU comes down and cuts into the lead. Grab the ball with two hands! Do not try to control it by dribbling

Agree completely. The time it would have worn off alone is almost as important as scoring there.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA

I agree, good point, I forgot about that one. The worst that would of came from it is we likely would of had a few more shots at the charity stripe had we held the ball.

isudizzle13

Apr 15, 2007
Mankato, Minnesota
An interesting stat would be this...

WE DIDN'T TRAIL IN THE SECOND HALF...and lost. That's what makes this loss so hard to swallow (that's what she said). Never trailed in the second half and you lose. It's just so disheartening. I know this was supposed to be a learning year or whatever, but I want this year for DG. If anyone of this group has earned it, it's him. He's put his heart and soul into this and he's one helluva player. He's come miles from where he was freshmen year, and all I wanted was for him to taste the NCAA's as a reward for him. I'm praying he gets a home game in the NIT so we can send him out like he deserves.

I digress though, WE NEVER TRAILED IN THE SECOND HALF...and we lost. The worst thing about a loss like this is it brings back so many Cyclone flashbacks. It's like losing 53 times because I get to relive all of those moments. Go Cyclones, we always have your back, keep making us proud, just be 40 minute men instead of 38 minute men next time (again, that's what she said).

Goodnight fanatics.

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I know this will not be an earth-shattering comment, but we seriously cannot stop any within 8ft of the basket. That gets really disheartening, and it is hard to extend leads and close teams out when they are getting such high percentage shots on a consistent basis. Between paint defense and rebounding, everyone knows that has cost us multiple times already and will continue to be our downfall. I was hoping it was just an early season problem and the guys would eventually toughen up and figure it out, but it appears this will be our big weakness.

Maybe(hopefully) a few opposing coaches will be stubborn and play their own style, instead of trying to exploit our problems....

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

I agree, but the biggest head scratcher for me was when Hoiberg did not call a timeout on our last possession of regulation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I agree, but the biggest head scratcher for me was when Hoiberg did not call a timeout on our last possession of regulation.

If you have more confidence in your team that they will know what to do on offense than you have confidence in your opponents that they will know what to do on defense it makes sense. Eustachy used to get flak about this all of the time but he had confidence in Tinsley and Horton that they would make it happen; and they usually did with just a couple of glaring exceptions. There is value in not allowing the opposing coach to tailor fit a defensive set. It didn't work out last night but it isn't necessarily a bad coaching move to forego the timeout if you have confidence in your players.

Also keep in mind that OSU was either out or nearly out of timeouts at that point. If you call timeout it gives them a chance to lay out what they want to do on offense if ISU is able to score. With no timeout they are going to have to totally improvise if ISU's offense is successful.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think it was when Jake fell down and he could have called a timeout.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
If you have more confidence in your team that they will know what to do on offense than you have confidence in your opponents that they will know what to do on defense it makes sense. Eustachy used to get flak about this all of the time but he had confidence in Tinsley and Horton that they would make it happen; and they usually did with just a couple of glaring exceptions. There is value in not allowing the opposing coach to tailor fit a defensive set. It didn't work out last night but it isn't necessarily a bad coaching move to forego the timeout if you have confidence in your players.

Also keep in mind that OSU was either out or nearly out of timeouts at that point. If you call timeout it gives them a chance to lay out what they want to do on offense if ISU is able to score. With no timeout they are going to have to totally improvise if ISU's offense is successful.

I agree, but when you lack depth like ISU, any breather and reset helps ALOT. Also, OSU's defense was downright horrible last night, and I would not have been scared of them setting up a D.

Help Support Us

Become a patron