Anderson - Who does he guard?

LakeHavasu

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86406
Now I have not seen either team play and I get most of my information from message boards.
In recent games, D Garrett has guarded the point guard. But with Anderson be a better defender, why not put him on Cartwright (Iowa PG) and tell him to stop the show and just harass the Hawks from one end of the floor to the other. Let D Garrett guard Gatens.

When Jake gets tired, put Bubu out there and tell him to do the same thing.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think they should switch Jake and DG off and on with him to give him diffferent looks.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
After watching Iowa many times this year, the player Im worried about going off the most is Eric May. Gattens is a great player we all know that. But May has proven to be disruptive on Defense and has the ability to create a shot.

Im not worried about Cartwright one bit. He is a fine player, but wont do anything offensively to really blow us out.

I dont know if we will try Jake on May some? I just know we cant let him beat us.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Whoever guards Gatens will get into foul trouble. Hometown boy in home arena=hometown calls.

sands4cy

Sep 12, 2009
I would think he would guard Gatens, but I would bet we throw a young team like Iowa a few different looks. Maybe a zone press at times that falls back to a 1-3-1 or 2-3. Not saying we do that the whole time, but maybe for a little bit.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I would think he would guard Gatens, but I would bet we throw a young team like Iowa a few different looks. Maybe a zone press at times that falls back to a 1-3-1 or 2-3. Not saying we do that the whole time, but maybe for a little bit.

Anderson and May would be a good matchup. Gatens prefers to stay outside when he can and May is more of a slasher with very good athleticism.

Cartwright has the ability to make plays, and if I were game-planning for Iowa I would start with him. He is the only true ball handler for the Hawks. He is quick and can get in the lane and finish.

May guarded UNI's pg for a lot of that game and I wouldn't be surprised to see May and Garrett matched up.

Reactions: ajk4st8

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
No way does Jake guard the opposing PG. Jake needs to be free to roam and rebound. I like him more on Gatens since Gatens isn't shooting well. As we discussed earlier this week he likes to leave his man and is sometimes a little slow getting back. I like him on the guy who isn't shooting well and the guy who is a little bigger and may try to get some more rebounds.

The Christopherson/May matchup is a little interesting. Christopherson is a crafty defender and IMO he would do a good job on May. While May is a great athlete, he's not going to break anybody down off the dribble. Scott is smart and good enough to be in a good position and IMO great position defense is how you defend May since he struggles 1-on-1 with the dribble.

becrisgreg

Apr 11, 2006
Omaha
May/Gatens combo potentially creates a little match-up problem for us defensively. Don't have a lot of confidence in our ability to be able to effectively defend a team with 2 wings that have the strength and height to operate on the block. I am comfortable with Jake holding his own down low and DG has some length, but I fear he and Scotty could get abused by a 6-5 type with superior strength.

I think either May/Gatens in the block vs. a 3 guard set that we run would be somewhat effective. I haven't watched an IA game with Fran at the helm to know if they take advantage of it, but who Anderson guards is the least of my concerns defensively.

Billups06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 18, 2006
Defensively, we don't match up very well with Iowa, assuming they run half court sets all night; Cole will be a problem. One of the key's in tonights game for ISU is getting out and running early and establishing their own tempo. If Iowa slows it down like UNI did, we have to work the ball around offensively instead of chucking up 3's all night.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
No way does Jake guard the opposing PG. Jake needs to be free to roam and rebound. I like him more on Gatens since Gatens isn't shooting well. As we discussed earlier this week he likes to leave his man and is sometimes a little slow getting back. I like him on the guy who isn't shooting well and the guy who is a little bigger and may try to get some more rebounds.

The Christopherson/May matchup is a little interesting. Christopherson is a crafty defender and IMO he would do a good job on May. While May is a great athlete, he's not going to break anybody down off the dribble. Scott is smart and good enough to be in a good position and IMO great position defense is how you defend May since he struggles 1-on-1 with the dribble.

I agree with this point.

jj-cyclones

Dec 26, 2007
Ames
Iowa is a junk show basketball team. I really hope it doesn't come down to "if we can stop this one guy," because most big 12 teams have 7 guys better than Iowa's starting five.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Iowa is a junk show basketball team. I really hope it doesn't come down to "if we can stop this one guy," because most big 12 teams have 7 guys better than Iowa's starting five.

We will lose to most Big 12 teams.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
May/Gatens combo potentially creates a little match-up problem for us defensively. Don't have a lot of confidence in our ability to be able to effectively defend a team with 2 wings that have the strength and height to operate on the block. I am comfortable with Jake holding his own down low and DG has some length, but I fear he and Scotty could get abused by a 6-5 type with superior strength.

I think either May/Gatens in the block vs. a 3 guard set that we run would be somewhat effective. I haven't watched an IA game with Fran at the helm to know if they take advantage of it, but who Anderson guards is the least of my concerns defensively.

I agree with this too.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
After watching Iowa many times this year, the player Im worried about going off the most is Eric May. Gattens is a great player we all know that. But May has proven to be disruptive on Defense and has the ability to create a shot.

Im not worried about Cartwright one bit. He is a fine player, but wont do anything offensively to really blow us out.

I dont know if we will try Jake on May some? I just know we cant let him beat us.

This too. May will be a problem for us.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Defensively, we don't match up very well with Iowa, assuming they run half court sets all night; Cole will be a problem. One of the key's in tonights game for ISU is getting out and running early and establishing their own tempo. If Iowa slows it down like UNI did, we have to work the ball around offensively instead of chucking up 3's all night.

By the same token, Iowa does not match up well with ISU. You say Cole presents a problem for ISU. Well, I say JVB presents a problem for Iowa. We negate much of Cole's effectiveness because he cannot camp in the lane on defense as all 5 of our guys can shoot the three, and our center is the biggest 3-point threat of all. As such, I'm expecting a fair amount of zone from Iowa tonight.

If we shoot a decent (not great, but just decent) percentage from the perimeter tonight, and hold our own on the defensive board, I feel really good about our chances.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron