Anybody worried about Huggybear and WVU?

Jiub

Nov 11, 2015
Des Moines
I asked chatgpt (DAN) who would win. The AI said Iowa State Cyclones will beat the West Virginia Mountaineers 85-80 and the star of the game will be a clutch Iowa State point guard (didn’t name who) who scores 30 points and dishes out 10 assists.

Use this information as you will.

Last edited:
Reactions: NENick

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I feel a lot better with healthy Grill and Jaz back in the rotation. If we play the way we have all season, no doubt we'll have a chance to pull out a hard-fought W.

Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
I asked chatgpt (DAN) who would win. The AI said Iowa State Cyclone will beat West Virginia Mountaineers 85-80 and the star of the game will be a clutch Iowa State’s point guard (didn’t name who) who scores 30 points and dishes out 10 assists.

Lipsey scoring coming out game?

Reactions: stateofmind

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015
I asked chatgpt (DAN) who would win. The AI said Iowa State Cyclone will beat West Virginia Mountaineers 85-80 and the star of the game will be a clutch Iowa State’s point guard (didn’t name who) who scores 30 points and dishes out 10 assists.

giphy.gif

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Is my analysis wrong to say that if we can stop Erik Stevenson, our chances to win go up drastically?

Top 3 items to watch as an ISU fan:

1) Slow or stop Stevenson
2) Keep WVU off the offensive glass
3) Take care of the ball

If Grill and Gabe can give Stevenson the Marcus Carr treatment, Lipsey doesn't have a Tech repeat, and our team rebounds well. I think we win by 5-7.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is my analysis wrong to say that if we can stop Erik Stevenson, our chances to win go up drastically?

3) Take care of the ball

If Grill and Gabe can give Stevenson the Marcus Carr treatment, Lipsey doesn't have a Tech repeat, and our team rebounds well. I think we win by 5-7.
I think that's about right, with two additions:
1) I'm not super worried about Stevenson, he's a good matchup for Gabe. But he has been hot - he scored ~10ppg his first 7 BigXII games, and has scored 24.5ppg his last four, with 15 made 3s
2) I feel pretty good about this one - but it is a huge key. In their 3 BigXII wins they are over 40% OBR, in the 7 losses they are < 35% in all of them (except the OT loss @KSU)
3) If no other stats are crazy outliers, it probably comes down to which team has fewer TOs.

adding:
4) WVU doesn't get super hot from 3 (< 8 made 3s)
5) Limit the # of FTAs for WVU to something sane (<30)

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC

3) Take care of the ball

Also, limit their 3s and FT attempts as much as possible.

I'd advise staying away from the game thread. I envision TJ needing to play BRE playing a lot of minutes due to foul trouble for Shoon. Our depth will be needed to pull this one off tomorrow.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Agree that #4 should be keep WV off the free throw line.

3) Take care of the ball
4) Keep WV off the free throw line

If you can do 2/4, it'll be CLOSE; 3/4 you win; 4/4 and it's a comfortable win

If anyone get's hot from 3.. They probably win no matter the arena (ISU meltdown at Tech excluded)

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
There's a difference between a bad loss and blowing a 20+ point lead in the second half.
Not really. A loss is a loss. Blowing a 20 point lead on the road sucks, but so does losing at home to Rutgers (Purdue) and losing at home to Temple (Houston).
I would say the win vs KU did more to improve our resume, than the loss to Tech did to hurt it.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Listening to the corner 3 podcast with the WV guy. Reminds me of the Nevada folks before we played them in the NCAA tournament last year. Makes every player on their roster sound like a future NBA lottery pick.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I think that's about right, with two additions:
1) I'm not super worried about Stevenson, he's a good matchup for Gabe. But he has been hot - he scored ~10ppg his first 7 BigXII games, and has scored 24.5ppg his last four, with 15 made 3s
2) I feel pretty good about this one - but it is a huge key. In their 3 BigXII wins they are over 40% OBR, in the 7 losses they are < 35% in all of them (except the OT loss @KSU)
3) If no other stats are crazy outliers, it probably comes down to which team has fewer TOs.

adding:
4) WVU doesn't get super hot from 3 (< 8 made 3s)
5) Limit the # of FTAs for WVU to something sane (<30)

I disagree about Stevenson. I've watched him have good defense on him and still hit shots. He's the key - he drives and draws fouls, he hits tough shots, he hits 3's, he pushes in transition. He makes them go without him they are hot garbage.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We've had leads of at least 5 in all of our conference losses yet had pivotal stretched in all of them that contributed to the loss. At KU it was the sequence of 4 or 5 straight TOs/empty possessions. With OSU it was their defensive extensions and uncharacteristic 3 point shooting in the 2nd half. Tech was....well...Tech.

Even in our wins we had large leads only for them to evaporate. The home team will have it's runs but we need to avoid being our own worst enemy for a stretch. Limit TOs, take good shots, weather the storm.

With Grill back and effective, and with Kunc in the rotation, I like our odds. It will be telling to see if WVU pressures Lipsey, how he handles it, and if he shows he can take (and hit) some midrange shots.

What I like about this game is that it's on a Wednesday and comes after a relatively "easy" win against KU. That's 4 days between games and the previous game was home.

I think we win this game by 5-7. A loss wouldn't surprise me, but I'd like to think Kunc, a healthier Grill, and experience will help us avoid our previous road issues.