Anyone else hearing that JP has already decided Prohm is coming back?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It’s funny because you could probably say the same thing about his first year here and it’d be true.

2nd year too. They played some very good basketball toward the end of the year, and it was cool to see Solo come along and be critical to the win at KU etc., but looking back we can wonder if their strengths were utilized enough and what that team looks like with a grad transfer rim runner type that's there to run around to do just that.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
2nd year too. They played some very good basketball toward the end of the year, and it was cool to see Solo come along and be critical to the win at KU etc., but looking back we can wonder if their strengths were utilized enough and what that team looks like with a grad transfer rim runner type that's there to run around to do just that.
Yep. Holden was a terrible GT and he started way too long.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yep. Holden was a terrible GT and he started way too long.

That may have been the first reddish flag type of situation. Solo was out with his hand so was behind but after the KSU game CSP basically said he'd waited too long to play him more.

There were a string of 'yeah I should have done that' that followed.

Guy just has a weird blind spot for going with what works in the moment.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
just shows steve’s stubbornness to change or his inability to adjust. signs of a bad coach

This year really amplified that. Instead of trying different things, it seemed the game plan was exactly the same loss after loss after loss. And guess what, the results were exactly the same too.

He is way too rigid with his lineups too. Remember when Wiggington continued to come off the bench? That’s fine but Prohm had this weird thing where he wouldn’t sub until the under 12 minute TO. So basically Wiggington wouldn’t see at least 16 game minutes because of Prohm’s stupid “philosophy”.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I remember hearing all those pundits talk about how their big, slow bigs would grind us, and thinking (and mostly likely posting a billion times----I know my students and I worked it out) that they'd have to keep up with us, and no one like that had been able to yet.

That was a fun, fun game.
Ran them out of the effing gym.

Purdue was very similar except we played THEIR game for most of the game. Same with ohio st too. Basic Sun Tzu, fight on favorable ground except CSP does the opposite.

Coaching matters.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
There is only one good choice for the next ISU Men's Basketball Coach: Fran Fraschilla!
And I thought going to ISU during McDermott years was bad. I literally could never imagine a season where the team only won 2 games, and 0 conference games.

This is the most embarrassed I've ever been as an alum. I don't care if this is a "COVID-19 " year and other blue bloods didn't do well either. Totally ******* unacceptable. A bad season to me has always been more like around .500 overall, and a losing record in conference play.

I will throw in some money to get Prohm the **** out of Ames. If he comes back somehow then I will not watch any more games.
The 1994 Football Season was worse IMO.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
Ran them out of the effing gym.

Purdue was very similar except we played THEIR game for most of the game. Same with ohio st too. Basic Sun Tzu, fight on favorable ground except CSP does the opposite.

Coaching matters.

the Purdue game still bothers me, tgat should have been a repeat of ND and we played their game for 30 minutes, we should have beat Purdue, tgat team was perfectly constructed to kill Purdue, and steve wasn’t ready

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I wonder if the Premium board looks at the free board speculation on this and laughs and says “They are waaaaay off!”

bf454886c82e31cb1303497f87b7f20e--groucho-marx-quotes-celebrity-quotes.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This year really amplified that. Instead of trying different things, it seemed the game plan was exactly the same loss after loss after loss. And guess what, the results were exactly the same too.

He is way too rigid with his lineups too. Remember when Wiggington continued to come off the bench? That’s fine but Prohm had this weird thing where he wouldn’t sub until the under 12 minute TO. So basically Wiggington wouldn’t see at least 16 game minutes because of Prohm’s stupid “philosophy”.

You'd think even if he doesn't start, that there would have been a match up issue even early and a chance to screw up the opponent. Wigginton was a 'gets buckets in droves' kind of guy and to not utilize that is weird. I also wonder if LW would have bought in more if that role were managed better even if not starting.

Lard had his own stuff but even when he was in good graces he was a shell of his first year, thinking too much, and that's a guy you just tell to go out and play.

Sounded like much of the onus was on them as well but not fully having the LW/CL ying-yang in 18-19 that was apparent their first year was a huge missed opportunity.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
There is only one good choice for the next ISU Men's Basketball Coach: Fran Fraschilla!

The 1994 Football Season was worse IMO.

The 1994 football season was good as it finally got rid of Walden. We were all rooting for the winless season, otherwise Walden would get his couple of wins, including an upset, then somehow still keep his job. Embarrassing seasons force the university to make a much needed change.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
The 1994 football season was good as it finally got rid of Walden. We were all rooting for the winless season, otherwise Walden would get his couple of wins, including an upset, then somehow still keep his job. Embarrassing seasons force the university to make a much needed change.

'94 winless season got us Dan.

'15 K State debacle got us Campbell.

Better days are ahead.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
the Purdue game still bothers me, tgat should have been a repeat of ND and we played their game for 30 minutes, we should have beat Purdue, tgat team was perfectly constructed to kill Purdue, and steve wasn’t ready

One issue with the Purdue game was that that Purdue team was pretty Dr. Jekil and 'good Purdue' showed up that night. They could score in bunches despite the 'Slow B1G team' stigma and were hitting.

That said, trying to make it a battle in the post was a mistake; tiring out Swanigan and making Haas move should have been the goal from the start.

Nococy

Jan 10, 2021
Fort Collins Co
One issue with the Purdue game was that that Purdue team was pretty Dr. Jekil and 'good Purdue' showed up that night. They could score in bunches despite the 'Slow B1G team' stigma and were hitting.

That said, trying to make it a battle in the post was a mistake; tiring out Swanigan and making Haas move should have been the goal from the start.

this sounds more like a game plan than a coach saying we are going to out rebound them and limit our turnovers. guess which one our coach used:)

• Angry
Reactions: quasistellar

ISU4NH

Aug 9, 2020
'94 winless season got us Dan.

'15 K State debacle got us Campbell.

Better days are ahead.
Add to this that we saw Campbell audition for the FB coaching job during the overtime loss at Toledo.

Do we have a similar situation this year or last...someone who auditioned for the head BB coaching job, beat us and wants to be here? That's who I'd be talking to.

Too bad the fan base has to endure sinking so low before a change is made. It's exhausting.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Add to this that we saw Campbell audition for the FB coaching job during the overtime loss at Toledo.

Do we have a similar situation this year or last...someone who auditioned for the head BB coaching job, beat us and wants to be here? That's who I'd be talking to.

Too bad the fan base has to endure sinking so low before a change is made. It's exhausting.

We played Drake at WFA in DeVries' first year, and they gave us a game. Ended up being a 9 point win

Reactions: NWICY