Anyone watching this KU game?

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Nice little ISU shoutout. These guys have been announcing this game like it's a blowout since five minutes into the game. It's a five point game.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
In a normal Big XII year, I'd agree but there just aren't that many teams that I think can beat KU. They've already won at KSU.

In a normal year, I'd say 6. They are obviously the favorites, but just don't seem as dominant. I think if Elijah Johnson developed a little more selfishness and McLemore was consistent, they could get there.

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Yep, I care more about a chance at a Big 12 title than a chance at beating a #1 team.
Plus, KU is no where near good enough to be #1 this year.
Their biggest win is Ohio State(?) who has DeShaun Thomas and a solid defender in Craft. That's it.
They lost to a Michigan State team that will be ranked between 5-15 the rest of the season. And finally needed a bank shot three to force overtime on their home floor against a team that will likely finish with 7-12 losses this year. The Big 12 being down this year drastically improves KU's final record when it's all said and done.

D

DistrictCyclone

Nice little ISU shoutout. These guys have been announcing this game like it's a blowout since five minutes into the game. It's a five point game.

I especially liked the part when Musburger said "Iowa State went down and lost to Tech, and then bounced back to beat Kansas"...

They probably cut his mic early because he was about to say something creepy about a woman.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
If WV had a pulse offensively, they could have stolen that one. I know we don't have a lot of room to talk about missed fts, but they almost blew that game.. luckily wv did their part and only made 2 fgs in the last 5 minutes.

hexodat64

Dec 5, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Man, sometimes we take Hilton for granted. They had a full house, and the crowd never looked like they thought they had a chance. Did anyone stand up that whole game? They had a chance down the stretch and the people who were left didn't seem like they cared.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
Yep. I think Higgins is the worst Big 12 official. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I'm pretty sure the games he works have a higher average number of fouls compared to other crews.

Most Fouls Called - 2012-2013 (minimum of 5 games called) - College Basketball Referee Stats - StatSheet.com

Interesting.

Higgins crews call a lot of fouls (#11 out of 200 officials) but he also works a lot, so average calls/game is relatively low.

Compared to some of the favorites around here:

Higgins - 33.7 fouls/game
Duke Edsall - 35.7 fouls/game (going off memory here)
Paul Janssen - 37.0 fouls/game

Way to go, Paul...you win again!

Last edited:

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
The Jerseys should be banned.. (try keeping stats for that mess! and think about it...) In fact, I am not sure that they meet the NCAA rules. the point is to have READABLE numbers.....

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa
in fact.. the NCAA rule is: "The number shall be one single solid color that contrasts the neutral zone
and may be bordered by no more than a ½-inch border of any color(s)."

I dont think those contrast at all..

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Plus, KU is no where near good enough to be #1 this year.
Their biggest win is Ohio State(?) who has DeShaun Thomas and a solid defender in Craft. That's it.
They lost to a Michigan State team that will be ranked between 5-15 the rest of the season. And finally needed a bank shot three to force overtime on their home floor against a team that will likely finish with 7-12 losses this year. The Big 12 being down this year drastically improves KU's final record when it's all said and done.
On a normal year I would agree with you but college basketball is so down right now. KU's loss was very early in the year on a neutral court in a game that they lead the entire time and gave away at the end. KU beat OSU at their place and that happens to be Michigan's loss. College basketball is kind of tough to watch this year. The 2008 team would have beaten this KU team by 20.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
On a normal year I would agree with you but college basketball is so down right now. KU's loss was very early in the year on a neutral court in a game that they lead the entire time and gave away at the end. KU beat OSU at their place and that happens to be Michigan's loss. College basketball is kind of tough to watch this year. The 2008 team would have beaten this KU team by 20.

I'd go the other way and say I love years like this. You never know who is going to beat who and everyone has a shot at everyone. I don't love college basketball based on skill level of the players or teams, in fact it makes me somewhat disappointed when there is a pretty clear separation between a top 2-3 teams and the rest of the NCAA.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I'd go the other way and say I love years like this. You never know who is going to beat who and everyone has a shot at everyone. I don't love college basketball based on skill level of the players or teams, in fact it makes me somewhat disappointed when there is a pretty clear separation between a top 2-3 teams and the rest of the NCAA.
I'll give you that. It's more competitive because there is no great team but it's ugly basketball in general. Could end up the lowest scoring season in 30 years, that's ugly.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

I just like it because when we inevitably get the 8/9 seed and get matched up with the overall #1, we'd have a good shot at winning.