Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
Mr. Williams,

Last Friday night I was banned from CF for a week without prior warning or any explanation of how my posts were inappropriate. Please feel free to look at the posts/threads in question. I did not use any inappropriate language, I did not make any personal attacks against any student-athletes or other forum members, and my posts were on topic and not spamming or trolling.

I have been a rabid Cyclone fan since I was six years old. Everyone who knows me in real life knows this. I have always supported Cyclone athletics and student-athletes. Anyone who suggests otherwise is inappropriately using an ad hominem attack to discredit my position and statements.

As I was given no prior warning and since have received no explanation for my ban, I can only surmise as to its motivation. It seems to be a particular moderator disagreed with my positions and feelings and took it upon themselves to "scrub" the forums of any non-positive comments being posted about the former head basketball coach of Iowa State. This violates the fundamental purpose of such a message board, which is to allow fans of a team to engage in discourse about the team and their experiences. Obviously such a discourse should be moderated for appropriate language, attacks on student-athletes should not be tolerated, etc. Yet my posts were entirely appropriate, and so I can only conclude that I was silenced due to my criticism of an individual that a moderator is defending. This, if true, is clearly an abuse of power. If not true, I would happily read an explanation for the reasoning behind my ban.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I know you put in many hours to make Cyclone Fanatic the best possible website and experience it can be, and I agree with my fellow posters who say it is the best team forum they have seen. I would not bring this matter to your attention if I did not believe it was of the utmost importance and addresses the integrity of the forum experience of your website.

Thanks again.

Go State,
ojoe2317

attachment.php

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 136

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I do find it funny that the answer is 'PM the mods', but when they ban you (often without any sort of warning) that ban disables your ability to PM.

No, the answer is: if something is deleted and you wonder why, PM the mods, don't go online in a rant. Banning usually isn't a first step, and in most cases mods do not ban unilaterally. In this particular case I wasn't involved in the banning, but it isn't like there is a rogue mod who just bans for fun....or is there? :jimlad:

Before I was a mod, I had posts deleted without explanation at times, and it is a strange feeling to just see it disappear, so I do understand. However, also realize, as a previous poster said, that this is a high traffic time, and we have a volunteer mod team for about 14k+ users. Things run very smoothly on here, all things considered.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Before I was a mod, I had posts deleted without explanation at times, and it is a strange feeling to just see it disappear, so I do understand. However, also realize, as a previous poster said, that this is a high traffic time, and we have a volunteer mod team for about 14k+ users. Things run very smoothly on here, all things considered.

To be fair, about 13k of those are mod alts.

Reactions: LindenCy

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Not to mention, there is still PLENTY to enjoy on Cyclonefanatic without the ability to post. Maybe consider just reading for a while. Oh, and stop taking a banning so personally. I'm fairly certain that it isn't going to make the rounds in your local gossip circles and tarnish your personal reputation with the people you know.

In any case, I've typed too much already, considering I know it doesn't matter what I think. But seriously, OP, grow up.

Concur... Just because one has the ABILITY to share an opinion doesn't mean all opinions should be shared. Mine included but not THIS time. This one EVERYONE needs to heed.

SNEDDS3

Apr 1, 2010
Boone, IA
No, the answer is: if something is deleted and you wonder why, PM the mods, don't go online in a rant. Banning usually isn't a first step, and in most cases mods do not ban unilaterally. In this particular case I wasn't involved in the banning, but it isn't like there is a rogue mod who just bans for fun....or is there? :jimlad:

Not directed at you Linden.

i have been banned, multiple times in my rookie-ish time here. at that time it wasn't hectic like these days have been and was warned via PM before such ban happened. I get it right now with the "Crazy" that is going on. Sometimes the powers that be feel like you need a break and help you out. Take a moment and reflect, think about **** and come back a better poster. Here's to 2nd chances(and 3rds and 4ths, thanks CF mods and CW).

In no way is this site "out to get" anyone. Sometimes we lose our heads or thoughts or nerves. I've been there. In realty, IT'S A MESSAGE BOARD! Start a blog if you feel like you aren't being heard. Let us know, maybe we will heck it out. (Doubtful, I'm a ****).