Are games rigged?

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I'd be interested to read that study. I think a lot of it is still talent based though, because good players are better at forcing calls. Top WRs use their body and height to force DBs to interfere or give up the big play. It's not a bad call, but the talent of the WR had something to do with it.

Yeah, it was interesting to hear about. And he admitted there wasn't much of a way to defend against that argument, however, generally the benefit of the doubt applied to storied programs whether or not they were having a good season, so there certainly was legitimate reason to inform his conclusion.

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
Rigged may not be the right word, but we all know at the end of a game a close call will almost always swing to the blue bloods. We've all seen this countless times. Rigged, indirectly maybe.
Ask TCU if they think games are rigged.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Yeah, it was interesting to hear about. And he admitted there wasn't much of a way to defend against that argument, however, generally the benefit of the doubt applied to storied programs whether or not they were having a good season, so there certainly was legitimate reason to inform his conclusion.

I have no doubt that the name on the front of the jersey has an effect on the calls made on the field at times.

Sorg4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2015
Not sure if anything has been said yet but I definitely believe that refs could influence a game they may have bet on. However I dont believe this would happen on the teams, more so on the Over/Unders. Think about it...I've seen too many games where a officiating crew has called ticky tack fouls (on both teams) to believe they could easily influence the over in a game! If the clock is stopped and both teams are shooting free throws it wouldn't take much to call more then usual fouls and help the over. Same could be said for the under with calling travels or more offensive fouls, moving screens ect (both ways) to help muddy the game and lower scoring. This is a way they could influence a bet without being biased towards one team or the other. Thoughts???

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
All you need to do is look at the Big 12 officials that get assigned to Iowa State games, especially the replay booth for football

Clones8686

Jan 19, 2015
I've always wondered in any given year how many games have point shaving at the DI level. There are a lot of really bad teams out there and presumably a lot of good players who might not have a lot of money. It may only take a few hundred bucks to get the best player on some terrible team to play extra bad, and the person betting wouldn't be risking large enough amounts to get noticed.

I dunno, with the thousands and thousands of DI games that are played every year, you would think some stuff happens sometimes.