Are there any true Cyclone B-ball fans anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiwhatis

Mar 25, 2006
Ames, IA
Since everyone has felt the need to post rediculous threads about the men's basketball team, i've decided to post my own. first off, i'm not happy or satisfied with this team's performance this season in any way. I believe the talent is here but the players have not become a "team" to this point. Regardless, we are supposedly cyclone fanatics. Frustration is one thing, but the MBB threads are insane. Some are calling for Mac's head, some resorting to facebook stalking, some calling out other posters, and my favorite, some claiming to stop being fans of the team this year. For real???? Is it possible to talk sensible cyclone basketball at all on this board without being hammered lke ISUFan22 is being on one thread. Lets give the team our support regardless of the performance and hope for better days ahead. Trust Coach Mac and the players as i'm sure all of them are more dissappointed than any of us and determined to fix the problems that lie ahead. Go State!!!!

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Since everyone has felt the need to post rediculous threads about the men's basketball team, i've decided to post my own. first off, i'm not happy or satisfied with this team's performance this season in any way. I believe the talent is here but the players have not become a "team" to this point. Regardless, we are supposedly cyclone fanatics. Frustration is one thing, but the MBB threads are insane. Some are calling for Mac's head, some resorting to facebook stalking, some calling out other posters, and my favorite, some claiming to stop being fans of the team this year. For real???? Is it possible to talk sensible cyclone basketball at all on this board without being hammered lke ISUFan22 is being on one thread. Lets give the team our support regardless of the performance and hope for better days ahead. Trust Coach Mac and the players as i'm sure all of them are more dissappointed than any of us and determined to fix the problems that lie ahead. Go State!!!!

+1. Seriously were 11-4 with most losses that everyone predicted before the season, (Cal, Duke, ND/NW) Let conference play out before I make my decision on coach Mac.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I've been spending less and less time on this site. The attitude of some (or most) people bums me out. I've always just cheered for the Cyclones regardless of the situation or whats at stake. The enjoyment of each game has always been enough for me. The saddest part is that some people think that's pathetic.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
+1. Seriously were 11-4 with most losses that everyone predicted before the season, (Cal, Duke, ND/NW) Let conference play out before I make my decision on coach Mac.

Yes...I still think they find a way to get a winning record in the Big 12 and get 20 wins :yes:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I'm hanging on by a thread. I told myself this year would be the litmus test to judge our coach and program. Things are not trending in a positive direction currently.

So much CRAP has happened to our program (started by Floyd jetting) that our fanbase is just on edge and will snap at anything. We suffered implosion after implosion.

Off the top of my head:

Floyd jetting to Chi-town
Fizer leaving early
1st round loss in both Big and NCAA tourney to last seeded team
LE not recruiting anyone that could stay eligible.
LE not recruiting period
LE being a drunk and drinking with opposing team's fans (college aged too) after game
Firing LE and then STRUGGLING to find a replacement coach...being turned down by coach after coach
WM running a cruddy program with no discipline and getting out coached game after game
WM getting fire and mass player exodus
Lackluster new coach hire
Player exodus after injury after ineligible ruling
A certain player not coming here
Team loaded with talent vastly underperforming

Add that up waddya got?

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yes...I still think they find a way to get a winning record in the Big 12 and get 20 wins :yes:

That's really the thing, there is a lot of frustration, but even if we went 12-2 out of conference we still would need 9 wins in conference, so we basically have the same task ahead. Let's get 10 conference wins.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale

Agreed....just wish I'd see some glimmers of hope.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I try not to take any one fan/post too seriously. Heck, about 10 rows in front of me in the United center there was an Iowa State student wearing a cyclone alley t-shirt and Duke hat??!? what the heck....

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
We're putting 13,000 people into games for a coach that hasn't beaten a ranked opponent, and he's in his 4th year, coaching in an arena where ranked teams used to go to die. He also holds the longest post season drought of the past 3 decades for this school. Did I mention that 13,000 people are showing up for this? We have plenty of true fans... Fans aren't the problem. If anything, we enable it.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
We're putting 13,000 people into games for a coach that hasn't beaten a ranked opponent, and he's in his 4th year, coaching in an arena where ranked teams used to go to die. He also holds the longest post season drought of the past 3 decades for this school. Did I mention that 13,000 people are showing up for this? We have plenty of true fans... Fans aren't the problem. If anything, we enable it.

We know where you stand Al, he asked if there were any TRUE fans left, not fair weather fans that look for any reason to tear down their team, players, and coaches...you got anything there or did you just make a wrong turn from your "who should we hire to replace McDermott" thread?

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
I've been spending less and less time on this site. The attitude of some (or most) people bums me out. I've always just cheered for the Cyclones regardless of the situation or whats at stake. The enjoyment of each game has always been enough for me. The saddest part is that some people think that's pathetic.

Same here. I'm sick of the pathetic ******** by the wannabee armchair coaches to the point that I'm about ready to puke. It doesn't take much for this site to turn into a crybaby party and I am getting sick of it. I'll support the team and the coaches(gasp) through the good times and the bad.

Go Cyclones.

Reactions: lakeliving

LeBron1

Dec 16, 2009
We know where you stand Al, he asked if there were any TRUE fans left, not fair weather fans that look for any reason to tear down their team, players, and coaches...you got anything there or did you just make a wrong turn from your "who should we hire to replace McDermott" thread?
Fair weather fans don't usually show up for games when the team is underperforming.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

So I'm fairweather because I don't think McDermott will get it done? That's ******* ridiculous and you know it. I still go to games. Do you see me calling McDermott names, ripping on players? NO. Look, he's had 4 years and hasn't done a damn thing. What response do you have to that? Any? At all? We haven't even sniffed the god damn NIT! Please, tell me why McDermott will get ISU to the post season. Oh wait, you can't, you just personally attack anyone who doesn't agree with you. What a great way to win an argument.

Look. I can stare at my table ALL day. I can wish that it turns into a Ferrari. I can wish really, really, really hard for that to happen, but at the end of the day, it's still a table. I've accepted that, you're still praying it turns into a Ferrari.

A fairweather fan is one who claims to not care when things are bad, and is the biggest fan in the world when they're down. The large group of us who are upset with how things are going ARE NOT fairweather. We're upset because we care about ISU basketball, and ISU basketball is not well right now. You wanna call me fairweather? Fine, I really don't care. You can go ahead and give McD a left time extension and see where that goes...

Reactions: Havs

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Fair weather fans don't usually show up for games when the team is underperforming.

Sure they do...if they don't show up or watch then nobody will give credence to all their dumb *** ramblings about who we should fire, deport, lock in an electrical closet, or send back to their home...

Maybe fair weather was a bad term...fair weather indicates that those people actually root for us when we win...these leeches just sit back when we win and bide their time for when they can jump back out and spew their venom...

Reactions: lakeliving

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Sure they do...if they don't show up or watch then nobody will give credence to all their dumb *** ramblings about who we should fire, deport, lock in an electrical closet, or send back to their home...

Maybe fair weather was a bad term...fair weather indicates that those people actually root for us when we win...these leeches just sit back when we win and bide their time for when they can jump back out and spew their venom...

Do you realize how little sense that makes? When things are good, there's no reason to *****. They aren't sitting and waiting to be mad. How many negative threads did you see about our coaching staff this football season? NONE. How many negative threads did you see during McD's first year? NONE. If you guys think our fan base is bad, you need to check out some other school's message boards.

LeBron1

Dec 16, 2009
these leeches just sit back when we win and bide their time for when they can jump back out and spew their venom...
Who are "these" that you are referring to? People who get upset when we underperform year after year? Were you not upset when our FB team went 9-27 over a three year period? Did you not have doubts about whether or not our coaches at the time could get it done? Even the most loyal fan is allowed to question the direction that their team is heading.

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
So I'm fairweather because I don't think McDermott will get it done? That's ******* ridiculous and you know it. I still go to games. Do you see me calling McDermott names, ripping on players? NO. Look, he's had 4 years and hasn't done a damn thing. What response do you have to that? Any? At all? We haven't even sniffed the god damn NIT! Please, tell me why McDermott will get ISU to the post season. Oh wait, you can't, you just personally attack anyone who doesn't agree with you. What a great way to win an argument.

Look. I can stare at my table ALL day. I can wish that it turns into a Ferrari. I can wish really, really, really hard for that to happen, but at the end of the day, it's still a table. I've accepted that, you're still praying it turns into a Ferrari.

A fairweather fan is one who claims to not care when things are bad, and is the biggest fan in the world when they're down. The large group of us who are upset with how things are going ARE NOT fairweather. We're upset because we care about ISU basketball, and ISU basketball is not well right now. You wanna call me fairweather? Fine, I really don't care. You can go ahead and give McD a left time extension and see where that goes...

Sorry, like I said in response to somebody else, fairweather was a bad term...you're more of a leech waiting for the next bad thing to happen so you can pounce.

McDermott is a good coach. You don't just forget how to coach. He's been dealt a ridiculous amount of bad circumstances in his time here, and this is the first year that he's really had much of anything to work with. Now I'm disappointed with how we've played this year in several games, but at the end of the day we're still 10-4 with a chance to make a run in conference play.

Why people have decided to completely go off the deep end after we lose to #5 Duke is baffling to me. We had several key players play poorly last night and I believe we'll be better for the experience come conference play. But I guess we shouldn't even bother playing those games because at 10-4 14 games into the season it's over and we'd be better off to fire our coach...right, you're definitely the voice of reason here in this discussion :confused:

Reactions: Cyclonepride

tigershoops31

Apr 13, 2006
Ames
Do you realize how little sense that makes? When things are good, there's no reason to *****. They aren't sitting and waiting to be mad. How many negative threads did you see about our coaching staff this football season? NONE. How many negative threads did you see during McD's first year? NONE. If you guys think our fan base is bad, you need to check out some other school's message boards.

It makes perfect sense...whenever something goes wrong these people go on and on about how horrible everything is and end up starting rumors and making things worse from some threads that get going...when things go well you never hear from them. You don't think that's odd?

If they were just emotional people and not negative blood-suckers wouldn't they be riding the high and singing everybody's praises when times were good? But no, they disappear during those times because it's not nearly as fun for them as ripping apart our players/coaches/administrators.

These people are either pathetic or are fans of rival schools trying to stir up trouble...either way they disgust me

Status
Not open for further replies.