Are there any true Cyclone B-ball fans anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think there is a big difference. Today, we are not sure if we will beat these type of teams...at Hilton. In the past (since JO), we went into these games expecting that it was a "W"...even if, very rarely, it ended up being an "L".

Speak for yourself. I am sure we are going to beat NDSU, they are one of the worst 2 or 3 teams we've played this year.

And just to remind everyone : we have won 10 games. We haven't lost to anyone with an RPI lower than 77. NDSU's RPI is 308.

There is NO REASON to expect that we will struggle in this game. We haven't struggled in any game against far lesser opponents.

This whole site needs a strong dose of reality.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Are you ISUFan22's brother? If not you two should hang out. I'd be a riot.

Do you want me to comment for the entire board or my opinion?

Fans are the driver to JP, I think we've learned that from his firings.

Funny... Like you and Clones_Jer, I suppose?

I made a comment about the idea that a thread pertaining to the hiring of a new coach was related to an idea that a good number of members want GMac fired.

You're the one who somehow tried to parlay that into JP's job and the fact that he too has a list. The two had nothing in common, but you went down that road anyway.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I think there is a big difference. Today, we are not sure if we will beat these type of teams...at Hilton. In the past (since JO), we went into these games expecting that it was a "W"...even if, very rarely, it ended up being an "L".

What is our non-conference home record under GMac, anyway? Honest question.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I am not into blind faith I am into results and what results have we seen that are positive in four years? Not a bunch, but some. I love the cyclones which is why I can be pretty mean in some threads, constructive though. A true fan should be worried about the direction of the mens bball program right now. I hope things change when Big Twelve play happens. Calling players out is down right wrong even if you think it will spark a fire underneath their *** when you are a head coach!! I think there is talent on this team and have said that from the start of this season, but can they come together as a team and be coached to win is still to be seen. There are other ways to spark a team, but I do not get paid the big bucks to tell you how, you should already know that coach. I do not want anybody's head, but I would like to see improvement in the right direction and PASSION for crying out loud!!! Not making the tournament this year to me is a problem and it should be for everyone else especially the team, so play as a team become one, be tough, and most importantly help each other out and look out for each other that is what a team does.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm not sure how anyone could say Wayne Morgan mismanaged talent any worse than Greg is currently doing.

and Larry had what? 1 bad season?

Greg has the worst coaching tenure since before Johnny. Luckily we're financially obligated to him long enough for him to turn it around ... or whatevers going to happen while we're locked in for the next round of 4 yrs.
3 meh seasons actually...the 3 he didn't have Tinsley. Without Jamaal, he was 4 games under .500.

So I guess the question is...where is the next Tinsley? :wideeyed:

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
+1. Seriously were 11-4 with most losses that everyone predicted before the season, (Cal, Duke, ND/NW) Let conference play out before I make my decision on coach Mac.

why is it we lose to all the good teams every year? every time predictions come out we put an L by anyone remotely good. pathetic. just like football schedule next year.. any ranked we will automatically put an L by... that sucks, and thats why people dont like it anymore. i dont think that about football next year, but i do about this basketball team. why? because we hanvt beat a ranked team for 3 years... weird.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
why is it we lose to all the good teams every year? every time predictions come out we put an L by anyone remotely good. pathetic. just like football schedule next year.. any ranked we will automatically put an L by... that sucks, and thats why people dont like it anymore. i dont think that about football next year, but i do about this basketball team. why? because we hanvt beat a ranked team for 3 years... weird.
Funny....in another thread on the front page everyone and their uncle is marking Texas down as a loss next season in football...

CyFever

Dec 2, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
why is it we lose to all the good teams every year?

Maybe because they're good?

It's like pointing out teams that are say 1-9 against the top 5 or 10. Well duh. The top 5 or 10 is probably winning 90-95% of their games. Little known fact that schools in the top 10 have an overall winning percentage of 0.500 against other teams in the top 10.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
great post, completely agree! I am a huge cyclone bball FAN and will remain to be no matter what happens to this program... I love coach Mac, I love the pieces we have in place. I agree they need to "mesh" as a team and I have full confidence that they will. I still look at a 9-7 conference mark a very reasonable goal to achieve, and unfortuantely that means NIT most likely, which is still a step in the right direction for this program. But, like I said, Cyclone at heart, and will see them thru til the end... Hit it hard every yard, right??

I think 9-7 would certainly get us into the dance, with our SOS. I think maybe even 8-8 and a win in the conference tournament would bubble us. Especially if we give a good showing against KU, Texas, K St. I'm certainly not happy with the way we played Duke, but there were flashes of play that could give one a little hope. We really have only two starters from last year's team (Lucca notwithstanding due to his injury), with one starter and a sixth, seventh man that have never played in Mac's system. I don't like the rebounding, or the turnovers. I think those two areas can and will improve. Based on how the conference schedule is layed out, we are going to have a rougher time early, but we could go on a great run to finish the season. Bottom line is that Mac and this team is what we've got this year, and they'll need our "sixth man" at Hilton to be able to see post-season.

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
What is our non-conference home record under GMac, anyway? Honest question.

I don't have that info at hand but I know we have had some pretty weak opponents over the last 4 years under McDermott...especially last year. I was glad to see we upgraded the non-conference schedule some this year but that did not take much doing when compared to last year's.

I do know GM's conference record:

Year 1: 6-10 / 4-4 home / 2-6 road
Year 2: 4-12 / 4-4 home / 0-8 road
Year 3: 4-12 / 4-4 home / 0-8 road

For all of you that like to point out that JO could never win on the road...in his 14 years, he failed to win at least 1 conference game on the road only three times (Floyd won zero road conference games 1 of his 4 seasons, Eustachy 2 of his 5 seasons, and Morgan 1 of his 3 seasons). Orr also had winning conference records at home 11 or his 14 years.

Last edited:

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
I just want Hilton to be Hilton again. I know this has been discussed and hashed and rehashed, but think back to Orr days until about the end of the Stinson/Blalock run. We didn't always put the most athletic teams out there, but it was damn hard to beat the Cyclones in that place...AND THE FANS WERE AMAZING!!! No whining, no complaining, no egos (debateable, but far less than today's team(s)), just good basketball where we the fans made it extremely tough on the opponents and showed our Clones some love.

I'm finding it hard to cheer for this team right now only because of how embarassing they are off the court and the attitudes that come out on it. Cyclone basketball for me was built on hustle, effort and guys playing past their ability level, now we get whining, complaining, threats to leave, etc. I don't know the answer, I just want Hilton to be Hilton again.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I'm finding it hard to cheer for this team
There's your problem. People talk about Hilton Magic willing a team to victory. The Phog had it going on the other night to get Kansas past Cornell. You can't will a team to victory without cheering.

Houston game was a good example of people not being happy with the game, but getting enough people on their feet to not let us die.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I just want Hilton to be Hilton again. I know this has been discussed and hashed and rehashed, but think back to Orr days until about the end of the Stinson/Blalock run. We didn't always put the most athletic teams out there, but it was damn hard to beat the Cyclones in that place...AND THE FANS WERE AMAZING!!! No whining, no complaining, no egos (debateable, but far less than today's team(s)), just good basketball where we the fans made it extremely tough on the opponents and showed our Clones some love.

I'm finding it hard to cheer for this team right now only because of how embarassing they are off the court and the attitudes that come out on it. Cyclone basketball for me was built on hustle, effort and guys playing past their ability level, now we get whining, complaining, threats to leave, etc. I don't know the answer, I just want Hilton to be Hilton again.

I was in school during the floyd years, and during the bad Floyd years Hilton was basically dead. many students didn't show up, and the ones who did constantly complained about how the lazy old people wouldn't get up and cheer. Then, miraculously, we had a great year in 99-00 and the old rocking Hilton was back.

Morale of the story? Thing are never as bad or good as you remember them, and winning fixes everything.

Dave19642006

Nov 21, 2006
Des Moines
First....the answer to your topic of the thread...Yes....just fed up, ****-off, annoyed, lost, confused, bewildered, at the coaching......

San Francisco Cy

Jun 12, 2008
San Francisco
When it's all said and done, it is completely unnecessary and pointless to jump ship mid-season. Nothing is going to be fixed until the season is over. All we can do is follow, cheer, and hope for the best.

In 2004-05, I thought we were awful, and getting worst. Then, we went on a 7 or so game winning streak, and ended up in the tourney. That is definitely the exception to the rule, but just leads me to a let the season finish before jumping off board.

If the ship somehow gets righted, and we end up in the NCAA tourney, this will all be for naught. And if we continue to play the way we have been, then maybe a change will need to be made. But, let's just see how it plays out. No matter what, Greg will not be fired mid-season...

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I put it to you, hiwhatis - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen![/QUOTE]

You go, Otter!

CydeOut

Nov 21, 2009
Kansas
I want to cheer for them and do, its tough though when we have Brackins pouting and Colvin threatening to leave and Mac not really sure if he wants to coach half-court offense like always did or if he should now become a run-and-gun coach. Then, I'm not sure how to read Dendy, Buckley's confused as to why he's on the bench (and a majority of Cyclone Fanatics is as well), and Lucca has been given way too much credit as being a good basketball player when he is actually just a really good set shooter.

My request: players play the game and realize you are getting a free education in return for playing basketball, as hard as I'm sure it is, put the petty crap aside from November-March and do what you came here to do.

For Mac: If the Indians are running the tribe, then you have no business being the chief. Get control of this team and this situation.

hursts

Apr 10, 2006
Same here. I'm sick of the pathetic ******** by the wannabee armchair coaches to the point that I'm about ready to puke. It doesn't take much for this site to turn into a crybaby party and I am getting sick of it. I'll support the team and the coaches(gasp) through the good times and the bad.

Go Cyclones.
What exactly have been the good times in the 3 and a half years of the McDermott Era?

Status
Not open for further replies.