Are there any true Cyclone B-ball fans anymore???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
For the first time ever...

I am actually thinking about not renewing season tickets.

I have found myself sitting during the entire pregame of all MBB games

I watched the GMAC bowl instead of the Duke ISU game midway through the second half (not out of anger, but just because I forgot to turn it back)

I consider losing by 21 to Duke " not that bad"

I am astounded when I watch other teams around the country play and say to myself wow this looks nothing like how our team plays ( and yes it might be a mid major game)

I consider 2000 empty seats in Hilton a great crowd.

When we lose in Hilton I dont swear the entire way back to my car or feel shocked.

For as completely involved as I feel with Cyclone Football, I hate the fact that Im not caring about MBB. Im not doing it because Im mad. I just simply dont care if we win or lose. I still go to all the games and enjoy the crappy music, smile cam, a good clone cone and watching basketball. Ill make it to every game again this year. I cheer and enjoy it when Im there, but when things go bad its bothering me less.

I hate the fact that I dont care anymore, and maybe thats silly, but I htink a lot of other people unfortunately feel the same way I do.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I just hope we beat NDSU this saturday.....

We need it badly. I'm Serious.

What this program needs SO BADLY is a win over a ranked team. Something like that could be a major catalyst. That's my single biggest problem with McD. He can NOT beat more talented teams, especially at Hilton, thus far. That used to be the calling card of ISU Basketball. It didn't matter how many future NBAers you had, if you came into our house, you were damn lucky to leave with a victory. In 4 years, McDermott has not beaten a ranked team. Not one. When is the last time that has happened?

If McDermott can starting beating some ranked teams, and get Hilton back to being a tough home court, he can find success here. If he keeps getting rolled by any team with more talent, it's going to be more of the same for the rest of his tenure.

I hope that was constructive enough.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
I think everyone on this site wants the Basketball team to do well. Calling out coaches b/c the team isn't performing doesn't make you a bad fan.

Wanting the team to lose so a coach gets fired would make you a bad fan...I don't think I've seen one single post wanting this.

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I'm a huge McD apologist and I've been saying the last three years, just give him time. Unlike most, I wasn't expecting an NCAA bid this year, and while I'm not surprised by the losses we have, I am concerned with the manner in which they've come.

My biggest criticism of McD is that from a pure fan stand point, he doesn't seem to demand respect and basic principles like hustle and attention to the little things. The most glaring examples of this have been against UNI & Duke this year. During every timeout, UNI & Duke's players would run over to the bench and sit down imediately and shut their mouths. Our players, not so much. They'd walk dejectedly over to the bench while yelling at each other and their frustration was visible and tangible. Instead of McD demanding that they sprint to the bench and shut up, he would stand patiently and wait for everyone to saunter on over.

Watch UNC, Duke, Kansas, or any of the national powerhouses play and tell me where you see players moping around the floor and walking over to the bench. You won't. It's little things like this that make all the difference. You can harp on the offense and the defensive adjustments all you want, but that boils down to execution. McD doesn't demand a winning effort and that's the biggest problem I have with him. He allows the players to walk around and mope when things go bad. He allows the players to get visibly frustrated with each other and yell at each other on the floor. He allows the players to not go after every loose ball or miss an assignment on defense or the boards. He allows standing around on offense and a less than inspired defensive effort.

I want McD to succeed more than anyone, but you can just watch the games and see the effort and enthusiasm that the team puts out. There's one thing that you should never have to question with any team and that's their effort and determination and will to succeed. Unfortunately, especially with our losses and even in some of our wins this year, I've found myself asking more often than not, "why aren't they playing harder? Why didn't so-and-so get on the floor for that loose ball? Why didn't player x box out that man after the shot went up?"

These are the type of unexcusable questions too many of us are asking. These things are correctable. These are the type of things that a good coach instills in his teams and moreover, demands out of his team. Duke didn't beat us because they have better players or a better coach or they had a good shooting night. They beat us because they played harder and they did the little things on every possession. The same can be said for UNI. The talent comparison between ISU and UNI isn't even a discussion. They just flat out played harder and especially smarter and that made the difference.

When good teams face adversity, they have the wherewithal and anchor (coach) to bring them back in and center their focus around the goal of playing winning basketball with an inspired effort. They don't resort to bad fundamentals and finger pointing.

Good coaches eliminate those problems or the hint of those problems before they even become evident. Either the players don't respect McD, which is a huge problem, or McD is content with allowing his players to not hustle everywhere on the floor and do every single little thing that winning teams do. If the latter is the case, which I really hope it's not, then our worst fears are more than likely true.

I want nothing more than McD to succeed and LEAD ISU to NCAAs and championships, but he is not demanding a better effort out of his teams and that is adding up to losses we should never have.

Last edited:

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Sorry, like I said in response to somebody else, fairweather was a bad term...you're more of a leech waiting for the next bad thing to happen so you can pounce.

(1)McDermott is a good coach. You don't just forget how to coach. (2)He's been dealt a ridiculous amount of bad circumstances in his time here, and (3)this is the first year that he's really had much of anything to work with. Now I'm disappointed with how we've played this year in several games, but at the end of the day (4)we're still 10-4 with a chance to make a run in conference play.

Why people have decided to completely go off the deep end after we lose to #5 Duke is baffling to me. We had several key players play poorly last night and I believe we'll be better for the experience come conference play. But I guess we shouldn't even bother playing those games (5)because at 10-4 14 games into the season it's over and we'd be better off to fire our coach...right, you're definitely the voice of reason here in this discussion :confused:

1) If the "negative" posters need to back up their "negativity" then I want some evidence from you that shows me "McDermott is a good coach".
2) Fantastic...the old "bad luck" excuse. Do you believe anything is in McDermott's control relative to ISU MBB?
3) Fantastic...the old "this is his first year" excuse. We only elect Presidents for four years but for some reason 4 years is just not enough time for ISU MBB.
4) Who, of quality, have we beaten? What is our history under McDermott in Big 12 play?
5) I have not seen a single post calling for his firing after 14 games...but nice exageration.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
5) I have not seen a single post calling for his firing after 14 games...but nice exageration.

I have. Often. Sometime posters don't just come out an say it, but you can still tell that is what they want.

Here is one from yesterday who openly called for Coach to be fired:

I do not like coaches calling out players in the media, that is insane, Mac knows he is on the hot seat and only does what is best for him, ask Wesley Johnson, this man needs to go and I have never had so little interest in ISU basketball. A petition to fire Mac needs to begin.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
1) If the "negative" posters need to back up their "negativity" then I want some evidence from you that shows me "McDermott is a good coach".
2) Fantastic...the old "bad luck" excuse. Do you believe anything is in McDermott's control relative to ISU MBB?
3) Fantastic...the old "this is his first year" excuse. We only elect Presidents for four years but for some reason 4 years is just not enough time for ISU MBB.
4) Who, of quality, have we beaten? What is our history under McDermott in Big 12 play?

Really? And entire thread devoted to who we should replace him with, isn't tantamount to calling for his firing? :eek:

Fair points otherwise.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Son, you having been doing a poor job cleaning your room. There are dirty socks on the floor and your bed isn't made. This has occurred in three of the past five days. It is expected of you that these things are taken care of daily. Fix it now and at all points in the future or you will be grounded from video games.

Son, you are a worthless, lazy child. I put a roof over your head and this is how you act? I should have left you at the orphanage with all the other bastard children whose real parents didn't want them either.

Now which is which?

I would never talk to my kids in the latter form, but if they were getting paid a million bucks a year to pick up their socks and hadn't done it for 4 years, my tone would be a lot closer to the latter than the former.

As others have mentioned, the only thing worse than the emotions many of us are going through is apathy, and that is coming. I used to be so ****** when we weren't on tv and would sit through ungodly poor radio reception to catch whatever I could of a game. I've watched and listened to awesome games and absolute bombs, but I couldn't wait for the next one either way. I had the schedule pretty much memorized every November. Now I teeter back and forth between anger and indifference.

We didn't just lose to Duke the other night.....we didn't belong on the same court with them. We're losing to UNI and Drake at home regularly now. Our home court is a non factor. EVERYBODY has a right to express their opinion. Maybe there are some that are overly negative, but the guys from Animal House yelling "Remain calm, all is well" ain't doin much good either.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
We didn't just lose to Duke the other night.....we didn't belong on the same court with them.

Seriously? did you watch the game?

if that is the case, then Gonzaga didn't belong in the same state as them, and they are a top 25 team.

Maybe there are some that are overly negative, but the guys from Animal House yelling "Remain calm, all is well" ain't doin much good either.

The guys yelling "BURN THE MOTHER****ER DOWN!" ain't doin' much good either. (note: you exaggerated, so I did in turn. I realize no one is literally saying that... yet)

What is needed is a little perspective and moderation. Alas, those traits are very rarely found on an internet message board.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Seriously? did you watch the game?

if that is the case, then Gonzaga didn't belong in the same state as them, and they are a top 25 team.

The guys yelling "BURN THE MOTHER****ER DOWN!" ain't doin' much good either. (note: you exaggerated, so I did in turn. I realize no one is literally saying that... yet)

What is needed is a little perspective and moderation. Alas, those traits are very rarely found on an internet message board.

Yes. I watched every frustrating minute of it, save the Kansas break in. We sleep walked through the first 4 minutes, made a nice run to get back in it, only to quit playing defense and never start rebounding. We were a prayer away from being down double digits at halftime. By the sound of it, the start of the 2nd half was worse than our start to the game. Most of our guys on "defense" were more worried about how far they could swat the ball into the stands than they were about positioning themselves for a rebound. We played about 10 minutes of basketball the other night. The rest was an abomination. Gonzaga had a bad night. We've had a bad half decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.