Are you buying the Taco Tech football hype?

Buying?

• Yes

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 100 83.3%

• Total voters

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
There’s some serious hype train action in Lubbock right now.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
I didn’t buy into the K-State hype last year and they went to the Sugar Bowl. I think I am bought into the Tech hype, which probably means they’ll end up in Memphis.

• Agree
Reactions: CYCLNST8

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't know much about what they have coming back but if they keep things going in the same trends for their Dline I like them to have a chance in several games.

That said they topped out 15 years ago with Leach and 7-8 wins will the max.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Seems Tech will forever be the team that can out gun or at least keep up with anyone on offense, when healthy, but they typically don't like to play defense. Not sure if this will change under the new regime, but if it does, they could probably reach 8 or 9 wins this year.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I talked to my Tech buddy. Can confirm the Tech fanbase is in standard "we are gonna be Top 5 contenders" preseason hype mode. Every fanbase does this of course, but the Tech folks, in my experience, are always a full line of coke higher than every other fanbase.

My buddy thinks their defense will be really tough (lots of guys back), the offense has a bunch of great recruits, etc etc. Actually, a lot of that I do buy into - I think they will be very competitive week to week with their defense. But here's what is my concern, and he actually shared it.

Can Tyler Shough stay upright all year?

Historically, the answer is "no". And their O-line was bad last year, and they've basically hit "shuffle" on it for 2023. That's going to be the deal for them. If the O-line can protect and provide a run game, then I could see them win 8-9 games, maybe 10 if they get lucky. But I don't think there's any reason to think the O-line will suddenly be great. So with a erratic offense and a backup QB, that will cost them games.

My Tech friend, in true Tech style, noted the backup is Jake Strong, a fantastic recruit from Texas, so basically might be an upgrade over Shough. That's the Tech way - they think every good recruit is not only great, but also ready right now, as if high school and college are the same thing. Just too much faith in STARZ. God bless 'em.

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Last season’s match up in an ice bowl was so frustrating. We should’ve won that one.

McGuire is a rah-rah guy and has recruited well so far. Their home stadium/location has some inherent advantages that make it hell to play at. That said, their schedule is tough this year. They’re still in honeymoon phase with McGuire, so this season will be telling.

CydeofFries

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 10, 2017
As much as the game last year was probably our fault we lost, I expected them to roll over and head back to the locker room as soon as they got onto the field and they didn't, which is a lot better than I've seen from them in the past. That's why I'll say I'm "buying" the hype even though I don't expect them to be conference contenders or anything this year.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Last season’s match up in an ice bowl was so frustrating. We should’ve won that one.

McGuire is a rah-rah guy and has recruited well so far. Their home stadium/location has some inherent advantages that make it hell to play at. That said, their schedule is tough this year. They’re still in honeymoon phase with McGuire, so this season will be telling.
I'm glad you pointed this out. I've always thought how many Sonny Dykes can there be? There has to be at least a couple Neil Browns, not every hire can be a homerun, right?

Reactions: MugNight

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I've listened to quite a few college football podcasts and most are very high on tech as a sleeper BIG12 champion.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've listened to quite a few college football podcasts and most are very high on tech as a sleeper BIG12 champion.
Oh come on…..

AmusedTalkativeImpala-size_restricted.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My issue is there’s a 0% chance our basketball team will be ranked when it had similar or greater success in prior two years and an even better recruiting/transfer class this year.

Or look at Hoiberg years when we brought in great transfers/recruits every year, usually finished 3rd to 5th every year, yet got picked 8th in a 10 team Big 12 every single time.

Why or how does Tech get this preseason love but not the objectively more successful ISU basketball program?

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
If you look at techs recruiting, they have been doing much better than us since mcguire came into town. And of course Cover 3 bases most of their preseason sleepers based on recruiting rankings

• Agree
Reactions: Daserop

Malty Flannel

Sep 19, 2019
Huxley
Not this year. I think that OSU under Gundy is on the decline, and TTU stands to benefit the most from it. I could see a 5-10 year stretch coming up where the two programs essentially swap successes, and TTU strings off multiple 8-9 win seasons while OSU regresses back to 5-7 to 7-5 land most years

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron